This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Announcements > News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Microsoft Flight Sim Announced

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 3:23pm

Lets try not to fall into the trap of making assumptions and writing it off before hearing/seeing anything.

Due to the fact their isn't really much you could do with FS in a "gaming" way I'd be enormously surprised if it isn't a proper simulation.

I'd agree with Ras.

I wouldn’t put it past them, but MS will be eliminating a huge chunk of their potential market if we simmers can't make use of it.

And why people get all fussy about being able to run their old add-ons on an entirely new sim baffles me. You will still have the old sim on your hard drives won't you? So you can still run your old add-ons on that. You aren't going to chuck FSX in the bin are you?

If it is an entirely new engine, which the sim has needed for years, then see it as a separate entity to your existing sim. A new product to sit along side FS9/FSX on your hard drives.

MS do say... welcoming everyone, including long-time fans, to experience the magic of flight.

So who knows... maybe it is a full-blown simulator, the next incarnation of the sim. Smile

Orbx have announced they are developing for the MS Flight apparently?

As for Windows Live, that's just for the multiplayer aspect I presume, and no bad thing. Steam works great, and like Steam, Windows Live will mean easy patching, a better on line experience, and the ability to buy new content.

NotYet View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotYet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 5:13pm
Aah but if I got FSX, I'd use that all the time... and I'd want proper traffic and weather and all... and FS9 has that atm, but it's not necessarily treansferable...

And if you've forked out £30 for something, you want it to lasat, and not pay £40 for an upgrade.

But you are right, let's all wait for the reviews. But a review by a simmer, not a journalist who never uses FS anyway.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 6:59pm
The preview looks like a video and nothing like the end result.

I think it will be a dumbed-down FSX, with a lot more emphasis on chase-view and arrows in the sky, rather than on hard-core simulation of flight.

MS need to concentrate on highly efficient code, that allows for great expansion, and doesn't have the stupid hard-coded limits of the previous versions.

It seems just lately that too much emphasis is on the ground visuals and not enough on the flight dynamics and fludity which is critical to a great flight simulator.

Apparently CFS4 was going to sport a whole new flight model, but unfortunately development of that was cancelled, and its flight model never made it to FSX.

Rise of flight is heading in the right direction, but the eye candy just kills performance, which in turn kills the feel of the sim. I also hate the HUD in ROF and apparently being unable to click on anything, instead having to use keyboard shortcuts for everything - very 1980s.

Falcon still rules for realism and fluidity, and it doesn't look bad either (the sky is just something else ).

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Timbo727 View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timbo727 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 9:35am
this is interesting, looking forward to reading and hearing more via the various news feeds.

I hope it is a sim too, but like others have said i hope I am not on approach to JFK in my 737 and get shot down by some halfwit flying a Spitfire with heatseaking missiles.  Otherwise I will need some chaff and flares...

I am sure the Aerosoft one will continue to go ahead with their's too, and this is good competition for them which in turn is good for the community.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 10:27am
Aah but if I got FSX, I'd use that all the time... 

Why? You use the other software on your system don't you? And in time, the new sim would gradually offer the features like traffic, add-ons etc that you like in FSX. If you can't afford a new sim, then you simply don't buy it.

And if you've forked out £30 for something, you want it to lasat, and not pay £40 for an upgrade.

It will last, FSX will still be on your system, just as many still have FS9 on their system. Many use both FS9 and FSX.

If the sim is to progress we must ditch back compatibility, for it's back compatibility that has held it back for years.
SamR View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer
Chargin' ma lazers!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 10:40am
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

If the sim is to progress we must ditch back compatibility, for it's back compatibility that has held it back for years.

Its always been the case that in tight-nit gaming communitys with games that are hugely modifiable...there has always been an argument between the people who want devs to go back to the drawing board and start anew and people who want the new to cater for the older more familiar title.

New scares people

GEOFFERS View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEOFFERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Martin Martin wrote:

It will last, FSX will still be on your system, just as many still have FS9 on their system. Many use both FS9 and FSX.

I use both FS9 and FSX I think FS9 is for the money the best sim I do not have AH and FSX has more trees and buildings in places I know they do not exist I think I need an axe to chop the bCensoreds down,I find that FS2002 is better VFR at 1500-2000ft Ido not need GPS as an ex rally driver. I just about OS maps 129.130.140.141. I knew a pilot C130 in the RAF who knew all the UK on doing low level flying after landing he used to tell us how well each farm was doing with crops 
It's easy to make a small fortune in aviation. You start with a large fortune.

Timbo727 View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timbo727 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 12:24pm
the dialogue in that video should be changed to "ever since I was a boy/girl, I always wanted smoothness and fluid frame rates".

BANichols View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BANichols Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 12:32pm
Having read through this entire thread there appears to be a major concern which has not yet been mentioned. Will the new sim (game) be compatible with AH (or vice-versa)? And, if it is not, will Slopey be able to make it so?

If it is not (and Slopey cannot) then, to hell with it, I'll stay with FSX.
NotYet View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotYet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 12:45pm
Deffo. I have FS9 still, it seems to have less faults all the time... and it's brill as a commercial/cargo airliner in heavy metal AC... FSX seems to be bush-flyer's paradise...

But we all know what, personally, we want as our perfect Flight Sim. WE all know that MSFlight will not be perfect for most of us. Thus, we speculate on how differnt it will be, and we look at the negatives - not compatible, not fluid, not a true sim, more a game. WE shoujld look at the positives - pushing the boundaries on graphics, constantly trying to get better FPS, trying to replicate as excatly as possible the real AC in real life...

Look back to FS2000 if anyone here ever had that (I didn't, my first FS was, and is 2004). Now look at Flight, or FSX. A lot better? A lot better. Progress is what this is. Might not be perfect, but it's getting closer.
Transport Steve View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transport Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 1:33pm
Hmmm, the jury is still out on this one then, by the looks of things.

If I read this properly, it states that MS are using a brand new game engine, consequently, will that now stop us from using our add-ons we've obtained for FSX, etc.
I personally disagree to a point that we need backwards capability in the game, why, having spent money on FSX and add-ons galore, can't I play it on a future release. If they now use a new game engine, this will then irritate those who've spent time and dosh in acquiring content, and I assume we will then have to wait a year or two, or three, for creators to build assets for this particular release, and in the meantime, somebody else brings out another version. I cannot see the point of a brand new game engine, when nobody has the content to fly in it, is this still the same old M$T$ cash cow.

I'll stick to my FSX for the time being, at least I know where I stand with it, and top quality add-ons are being released regularly to keep us happy.

Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by BANichols BANichols wrote:

Having read through this entire thread there appears to be a major concern which has not yet been mentioned. Will the new sim (game) be compatible with AH (or vice-versa)? And, if it is not, will Slopey be able to make it so?

If it is not (and Slopey cannot) then, to hell with it, I'll stay with FSX.

If it's possible to, you can rest assured that I'll try and support it with AH.
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 2:58pm

why, having spent money on FSX and add-ons galore, can't I play it on a future release. If they now use a new game engine, this will then irritate those who've spent time and dosh in acquiring content,

Then run your add-ons on the platform they were intended for!!!! You don’t have to wipe the old sim from your system.

The point is that flight sim is dated, it's archaic software. And at each new incarnation, Microsoft bolted on fancy new bits, thus burdening it even more.

You can't keep doing that forever.

You can't simply update the existing sim, and expect it to do all the fancy things the new hardware allows, plus provide great performance, super smooth frame rate etc.

I believe Phil Taylor himself made this point. If you want a sim that’s fitting in terms of today’s hardware then you can't have backward compatibility. Aces have taken flight sim as far as it will go. Any further and you'll have even more to moan about than you did when FSX was released.

Backward compatibility requires compromises to be made, limiting what can be done with the sim. A brand new engine doesn't require compromise so you can run your old add-ons.

So waht do you want?

A few more cows and birds, a few tweaks to the VC, weather a bit better, maybe a few extra default planes, autogen a bit better.... and even more burden on frame rate.

Or a whole new sim, coded from the ground up that looks like it belongs in the 21st century, and makes use of todays powerful hardware?

And don't forget, in terms of the later, it will be a base code  that can indeed be updated for a good few years before it too will require starting from scratch.

Concorde216 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Concorde216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Slopey Slopey wrote:

@Concorde....

Read closer:

" Reinventing these iconic franchises with social, shared experiences"

This isn't about giving loyal flight simmers what they want, this about getting joe public flying with their mates. I'll eat my hat if there's no console tie in, as Xbox and Kinect are squarely at the heart of M$'s social platform.

How do you know that they wont cater for the loyal simmers with MS Flight? I would wait until more information becomes available before you get too carried away.  Otherwise you may have to find some Renne tablets for the acute indigestionoh how I laughed
Concorde216
"All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics. TSR-2 simply got the first three right." - Sir Sydney Camm
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 9:34pm
Im not getting carried away, the sheer truth is that the flight sim community as a player base is actually tiny.

M$ won't make any money if this thing doesn't appeal to a wide range of players. That broad appeal dictates that it has to be easy to use.

Whether M$ add all the bells and whistles and systems, or concentrate on easy to fly, multiplayer, remains to be seen.

But if they want to make a profit, satisfying the needs of the flight sim community will be secondary to trying to reduce the barrier to entry so they can sell more copies!

I've heard rumours that it's going to be Windows only, hence no Xbox, but can't find an offical published source - anyone have one???
AirHauler Developer
Transport Steve View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transport Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

why, having spent money on FSX and add-ons galore, can't I play it on a future release. If they now use a new game engine, this will then irritate those who've spent time and dosh in acquiring content,

Then run your add-ons on the platform they were intended for!!!! You don’t have to wipe the old sim from your system.

The point is that flight sim is dated, it's archaic software. And at each new incarnation, Microsoft bolted on fancy new bits, thus burdening it even more.

You can't keep doing that forever.

You can't simply update the existing sim, and expect it to do all the fancy things the new hardware allows, plus provide great performance, super smooth frame rate etc.

I believe Phil Taylor himself made this point. If you want a sim that’s fitting in terms of today’s hardware then you can't have backward compatibility. Aces have taken flight sim as far as it will go. Any further and you'll have even more to moan about than you did when FSX was released.

Backward compatibility requires compromises to be made, limiting what can be done with the sim. A brand new engine doesn't require compromise so you can run your old add-ons.

So waht do you want?

A few more cows and birds, a few tweaks to the VC, weather a bit better, maybe a few extra default planes, autogen a bit better.... and even more burden on frame rate.

Or a whole new sim, coded from the ground up that looks like it belongs in the 21st century, and makes use of todays powerful hardware?

And don't forget, in terms of the later, it will be a base code  that can indeed be updated for a good few years before it too will require starting from scratch.

Forgive me, but, as a noob to flightsims, wasn't FSX supposed to be a new game engine, it is in essence Flight Sim 2010, which is the new sim for the 21st century, why did they not upgrade that then, why do we all have to wait for MS Flight, and wait for how long, 1 year, or, two, it has only been announced that the game will be released, but, didn't say when.
I appreciate that old game engines deserve to be put out to pasture, and I quite agree with you that tweaking it with just a few extra bits and bobs periodically will cause more problems with frame rates and possible lag from low-end computers.
I've only just obtained FSX, I'm certainly not going to ignore it, my leisure time is NOW, not in a few years time, if I cannot run my add-ons on this new release, then so be it, if we can, then that's great, but, with MS, they do have a habit of pulling the carpet out from under your feet.

Cheerz.  Transport Steve.

P.S.  It doesn't look like it slopey, according to the press statement the new game will be devised for online PC gamers, probably to take into account the new Windows 7 release by Microsoft. I don't think xbox consumers will be entertained on this score.

Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 9:31am
Quote I've heard rumours that it's going to be Windows only, hence no Xbox, but can't find an offical published source - anyone have one???

That's because there isn't any! Literally all the information that is available to the FS community is contained within that press release and video. Everything else people have heard, seen or written is pure speculation.

Keep calm, carry on and more information will likely be forthcoming shortly. Until then there is no point making wild speculations about hearsay 
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 11:56am
Nooooo!!! We want wild speculation and conspiracy theories!!!

Where's Pointy when you need him??
AirHauler Developer
NotYet View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotYet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 12:55pm
Pointy?

But why would MS create a new FS so they render everything they've done obsolete? It's like VW or Mercedes building a hover car - no-one will buy their ordinary cars anymore... they're nearly putting themselves out of business...

All I see is a publicity stunt design by a boardroom committee and they've accidently forgotten about True Simmers, like us, who like what we've got, which is why we've got it.

And AH gets tweaked every now and then... as does FSX and FS9. But Slopey hasn't made all his hard work redundant by bringing out AH2, completely ruining AH.

(Now that's a point, Ah2 could be Flight-only, and normal AH FSX.FS9 like it is now.)
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Transport Steve Transport Steve wrote:

Forgive me, but, as a noob to flightsims, wasn't FSX supposed to be a new game engine,

Cheerz.  Transport Steve.

No Steve, it's not a new game engine at all. It's based on legacy code. They didn't start from scratch at all. At it's core is the same old sim.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic