This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Announcements > News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Microsoft Flight Sim Announced

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Microsoft Flight Sim Announced
    Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 9:49am
Hi All,

Looks like Microsoft have surprised us all with the announcement of a new flight sim in development! "Microsoft Flight"

http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/

I don't have any more info than what you can see on that website but it does sound as though they are hinting that they might have started all over again with a new engine etc.

We will see...
Bradpl6 View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradpl6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 12:11pm
That has got to be one of the worst "Sneak peeks" I have ever seen Cry
crmathie View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crmathie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 12:30pm
Could do with the "preview" lasting a bit longer to see what it really looks like but the little bit they have put on look pretty good Big%20smile
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 1:20pm
Who thinks Aerosoft will continue with their new FS? 
Alaaar View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 2:15pm
I wish and pray
(Sorry that I mention some products by name and sure, I missed a whole bunch of them)
That the new Microsoft Flight will have the following:
•     Models detailed in and out with fully functional systems like MD-11 from PMDG, E-190, CS or others.
•     External and internal lights like those of Shockwave.
•     Deep and real sounds of cockpit and engines.
•     Call outs that is adaptable and easy to configure like those of edit voice packs.
•     Textures as good as Mcphat products.
•     Advanced traffic system, like X traffic or My X traffic.
•     Weather program that is advanced like REX-2.
•     Very advanced sceneries at least to all major cities and capitals of the world and main historical places and major geographical features, similar to Orbix or Earth simulation.
•     Accurate land class so you don’t see a missing mountain or seeing a forest that is not there.
•     Intelligent ATC that gives you correct routes, SIDS & STARS and more interactive.
•     Flight planner.
•     Navigational charts that includes SIDS & STARS for all airports.
•     Fuel calculators and route finders and other utilities.
•     Add ones like Fspassenger, Air haulers and passengers flight map built in.
•     Data recorder system to store and analysis flight data so you get to learn from your own mistakes.
•     Online flying (multi player) capabilities that is advanced and not stopping every 5 minutes, because of lack of developments because it’s freeware.
•     Dual / Multi screen display that is easy to use with no additional hardware.
•     Online instant support for all products 24/7
•     Hardware to support all the functions and designed especially for FS
•     Hardware accessories should be designed especially for FS like Siteck products.
In addition, let us pray that we no longer suffer of the following:
•     CTD or OOM or similar
•     Low FPS to reach 4 or 3 ??
•     Fatal errors
•     Nickn’s tutorials
•     Nhancers
•     Registry cleaners
•     Anti viruses
•     Memory enhancers
•     3G key for memory recognizing??
•     The UIAutoMationcore.dll crashes.
•     Windows 7 64 / 32 or Vista 64 /32 or Windows XP and of course service packs.
•     Display drivers V+200 or 190 or….
•     Administrative rights issues in windows 7.
At the end, I meant to say that FS is more than a hobby it has become a life style to many of us, instead of paying $1,000 - $2,000 on a course of 2 years span, and getting frustrated on and on with errors, all at the list above I experienced personally, I hope there will be one day a professional system that has it all.
Regards

Alaa
Just love to fly....
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 2:20pm
^^ If all that happens there won't be anything left for add-on developers to do Wink
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 2:34pm
What's the bet the Airsimmers 'bus will be released just as Microsoft Flight comes out and it won't be compatible !oh how I laughed
Alaaar View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 2:35pm
I guess you are right it wont be good for the industry....I was only imagining the perfect FS..I think it wont be real.
Thanks   
Just love to fly....
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 2:35pm
I'd bet money that nothing that currently exists will be compatible with "Flight". Just my own personal feeling
Alaaar View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 2:37pm
Tom, there are 3 buses under development now Aerosoft, Air simmers and Flight lab, which one would you pick assuming similar price ?
Just love to fly....
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 2:58pm
From what we've seen so far, as it's mentioned it's an "inclusive" experience and tied into Live, I think it'll be consumer orientated - read, pretty visuals, lacking in complexity.

This has "fly with your mates on X-box" written all over it, not "fly in heavy metal into huge airports hand flying an ILS down to minimums in a systems based procedural simulator".
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Alaaar Alaaar wrote:

Tom, there are 3 buses under development now Aerosoft, Air simmers and Flight lab, which one would you pick assuming similar price ?

FSlabs, certainly not AirsimmersWink
Carob View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by Slopey Slopey wrote:

From what we've seen so far, as it's mentioned it's an "inclusive" experience and tied into Live, I think it'll be consumer orientated - read, pretty visuals, lacking in complexity.

This has "fly with your mates on X-box" written all over it, not "fly in heavy metal into huge airports hand flying an ILS down to minimums in a systems based procedural simulator".

Agreed.  This has been the rumor all along.
NotYet View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotYet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 6:56pm
Darn it then. FS9 for me!

But Lazer, it should have basics of stuff like Traffic X and ActiveSky or Rex or whatever it was but the chance of cheap upgrades if you so wished... it'd keep the price and the size down - I don't want to find it requires 200Gb of memory because the current computer in my house only has 119GB free...

But the ultimate Flight Sim will be built by a Flight-addict such as ourselves...

Allard doing the airports plan, Slopey programming, me, I could write the manual or something... someone else like Herky design the airports using an AFCAD or something similar, and all of you as beta testers!

But the biggest mistake Microsoft keeps on making is making absolutely everything beforehand obsolete. I don't of anyone with FS2002, and Allardjd and I seem to be the only FS9ers using these forums...
NotYet View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotYet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 7:07pm
Also, any reason why it's taking 20 minutes to load the preview?
Concorde216 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Concorde216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 7:14pm
NotYet, I still fly FS9Smile

The sea in the teaser looks great and so does the bi-plane, even it was just for two seconds. 

However, if any of you read the press release that was displayed on the webpage it does say

"Today, we’re bringing powerful, inventive gaming experiences to the Windows-based PC,” said Phil Spencer, corporate vice president of Microsoft Game Studios. “Over the years, our PC heritage captured the hearts and minds of millions of players. Reinventing these iconic franchises with social, shared experiences at their core marks the beginning of our return to PC gaming in bold new ways.”

I think we can take it from the above that it will be PC-based.  Remember that MSFS has always allowed people to play online and connect with other flight simmers.  I think what Microsoft are doing is obviously keeping the loyal simmers happy (or hoping to) with imrpoved graphics, features etc and at the same time try and attract new people to it.

Concorde216
"All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics. TSR-2 simply got the first three right." - Sir Sydney Camm
Herky View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 7:24pm
Agree with you Slopey.

Didn't I read somewhere that this will be all "on line" and "pay as you go". Like £ for so long then more £ for a bit more etc..............Not for me thanks.

I believe MS are only in it for the money. They must be a bit miffed that all the developers are now beavering away and producing wonderful add ons to FSXBig%20smile
You Tube at HERKY231 or David Herky

Alaaar View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 7:26pm
I am just thinking loud, is it possible one day that we will have a machines that looks like a good part of cockpit (not like the odd ones we see on the web), Yaw and throttle quadrants, panels and gauges, and we  switch it on it wont say Windows 37, service pack 17 or something....just flight simulator, only dedicated to the game, no installable programs except add ons and basic spreadsheets, I know it will be costly but imagine 100,000 # on the market, price will drop enormously. 
Just love to fly....
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 7:54pm
@Concorde....

Read closer:

" Reinventing these iconic franchises with social, shared experiences"

This isn't about giving loyal flight simmers what they want, this about getting joe public flying with their mates. I'll eat my hat if there's no console tie in, as Xbox and Kinect are squarely at the heart of M$'s social platform.
AirHauler Developer
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by Alaaar Alaaar wrote:

I am just thinking loud, is it possible one day that we will have a machines that looks like a good part of cockpit (not like the odd ones we see on the web), Yaw and throttle quadrants, panels and gauges, and we  switch it on it wont say Windows 37, service pack 17 or something....just flight simulator, only dedicated to the game, no installable programs except add ons and basic spreadsheets, I know it will be costly but imagine 100,000 # on the market, price will drop enormously. 

You can do all of that now - just start FS directly with Windows. You can even hack windows to remove the loading graphics if you want - you've been able to do that since Win95. And it's not as expensive as you might thing currently - you could get something resembling a 737NG cockpit for £6-10k all in.
AirHauler Developer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic