This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adding an Airport

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missy789 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding an Airport
    Posted: 03 Jul 2010 at 10:08am
Hi there,

I have purchased UK2000 Doncaster Robin Hood, and it does not appear in the airport list so I can add flight plans there. So when I go to add the airport using the function, it says it gets added successfully. However when I come to adding a flight there, it doesn't appear in the list.

Any help appreciated.
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2010 at 4:32pm

Quote So when I go to add the airport using the function, it says it gets added successfully. However when I come to adding a flight there, it doesn't appear in the list.

You might try opening the file...

C:\ -> Program Files -> Microsoft Games -> Flight Simulator 9 -> Traffic2005 -> Airports.txt  using Notepad (That's for FS9 - if you're using FSX the path will be slightly different, but you'll know the way).

Use Edit -> Find to search for the ICAO code of the airport you added and see if it's really in the list.  If it is, all's well and good with that and the Airport Editor part of the Traffic 2005 Editor has done all it can do.  If it's there the problem lies with the Flight Plan Editor.

It's been some time since I tried it, but I think I recall having problems adding flight plans from the Flight Plan editor too, and I don't even try to use that part of it any more.  There's another way.

If you navigate one level deeper, to the Flight Plans folder, you'll find hundreds of flight plan files - just text and easily editable with Notepad.

Find one with just a few entries and make a copy of it, renaming it to whatever file name you want to use.  Keep the text extension.

A typical flight plan line in one of the files looks like this...

GI,402,MUHA,MMMX,2200,956,340,JFAi_DC9_ACAR,PK-GPD,IFR,60

The parameters are...

Airline ID, Flight #, From, To, GMT Start Time, Distance, Flight Level, AC ID, AC Registration, IFR or VFR, Ground delay

It's a fairly easy matter to manually edit the file you created by copying and making it do what you want. 

Once you're finished with editing the flight plan file, open the T2005 Editor again and from the first page, select the button that says, "Create Traffic database from all files".  It will take a while to run, but you should then get the traffic you added in the new file, along with everything else you already had.

John Allard
Missy789 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missy789 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 8:57am
Thanks for the reply.

However, the airport isn't listed in the Airports.txt file. Any ideas what to do now?
Missy789 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missy789 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 9:14am
I've just had another look, and when creating flight plans, it has now appeared!
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 4:15pm
Sounds as if it's fixed - happy to hear it.  It is possible to manually add airports to the Airports.txt file using Notepad too.  There are fewer parameters - if you ever decide to do it that way, just use the other entries as a model and run the compiler after you're done to regenerate the traffic.bgl file.
John Allard
NotYet View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotYet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 8:23pm
So could you run an IFR from a farm strip?
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Imho Idrk so nvm.

allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 10:24pm

Quote So could you run an IFR from a farm strip?

Yes, of course.  In the real-world, assuming IMC WX, you would file your flight plan either on-line or by telephone.  You do the clearance delivery thing over the telephone, contacting the Flight Service Station and he assigns you a block of time.  ATC keeps other IFR traffic out of your little block of airspace during your assigned block of time.  You take off, pop-up and contact the departure controller on the assigned frequency and away you go.  Standard WX minimums apply, but you're pretty much on your own with that. 

It would work pretty much the same in VFR WX except you'd have the additional responsibility to see and avoid any VFR traffic using the field or flying nearby.  In IMC conditions there shouldn't be any and you probably couldn't see them anyway, but if it's VMC, you have to consider the possibility that there will be other traffic in the area that the controller is not talking to and may not be painting on his radar.

The reverse is not true - if the field doesn't have a published instrument approach, the best you can do is get vectors from ATC to the field at MSA and see if you can get a visual.  If so, you can land.  If not, you have to go elsewhere. 

Getting out of remote, unimproved fields is easier than getting in.

John Allard
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 1:16am
In fact, in the UK outside controlled airspace (Class G) it's perfectly fine to fly In IMC without a flight plan (provided you have an IMCR/IR), however in practice nobody does unless they don't want to talk to ATC, which in hard IMC is preferrable, provided you can get a radar service.

Landing however, is another kettle of fish, but usually you'd "let down" over the sea or an ILS then head to the farm strip under the cloud. If it's a low enough cloud base that you can't do that, then you shouldn't be going in there anyway as you'll likely be busting your minima.
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
johnep View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 7:43am
Im stuck when trying to add caribe scenery from Avsim. Do I follow a similar procedure?
johnep
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 12:37am

Quote Im stuck when trying to add caribe scenery from Avsim. Do I follow a similar procedure?

Is your problem installing the downloaded scenery into FS or getting Traffic 2005 AI to use it?

John Allard
johnep View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 9:41am
Sorry, not a Traffic problem at all. Just to add downloaded scenery.
I have added as an area and named but nowt happens when try to load just get error message
johnep
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic