This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Young person's car insurance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Young person's car insurance
    Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 1:34pm
Katy wants to learn to drive. She's 17.

MartinW Pays £180!

To add katy = £1100 ShockedShockedShockedShocked

Quite clear what they are doing here, and the insurance guy from Swinton suggested the same, they are deliberately pricing teenagers off the road.

This will annoy many, but I have always felt that 17 was too young to drive. But the law does state 17. Well it seems the insurance companies are effectively taking matters into their own hands with crazy premiums.

When I think of the huge amount of money I have paid for car insurance over the years, and the minuscule amount I have taken back, something tells me they are making far more profit than they claim, and that teenage drivers may well be an issue in terms of high claims, but not a plausible cause for the huge premiums we pay.
Speedbird-001 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedbird-001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 1:43pm
I'm sure EVERYONE my age on this forum has gone through exactly the same problem. Unhappy

Luckily, my Dad's company insures me on his car, but I rarely get to use it as he's always at work or on a business trip.Cry

To insure me on one of my parent's cars (09 VW Polo) was £1200!!! ShockedShockedShocked
But, to insure me on a Fox would only be £700. Big%20smile As my sister is currently learning to drive, we've convinced mum and dad to get us a Fox. Smile You can pick the new one up for less than £7'000!

VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 1:50pm
You hit it Martin! It is a rip-off. They argue age is the reason but there are a damn sight more drivers over the age of 25 than under it! I can't believe that more than 50% of all crashes exclusively involve people under 25 years old.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 2:03pm
When I first insured myself at 18 years old (1.4 petrol), it cost me £1200 tpft. After four years that is now down to £500 fully comp. Painful!
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedbird-001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 2:12pm
I have to possibly agree though that 17 is too young to drive. Although there are ALOT of 17 years olds who are more than excellent drivers, there are a few who just spoil it for the rest. Perhaps it is worth pushing the age up to 18, so those few can't spoil it? 
SamR View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer
Chargin' ma lazers!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 2:12pm
Currently paying £1100 fully comp for my insurance despite driving for over 4 years and having 0 claims, I didn't shop around and stayed with my existing insurance, my own fault.

VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 2:33pm
Quote Perhaps it is worth pushing the age up to 18, so those few can't spoil it?

Won't make any difference. To act like an idiot whilst driving a lethal weapon shows a lack of intelligence. Those idiots shouldn't be driving at all, ever.

Driving should be considered a priviledge that is easily revoked, not a right. Can't work because you lost your license? Tough luck! Should have behaved better to keep your license.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Marmite View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marmite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

Katy wants to learn to drive. She's 17.

MartinW Pays £180!

To add katy = £1100 ShockedShockedShockedShocked

Quite clear what they are doing here, and the insurance guy from Swinton suggested the same, they are deliberately pricing teenagers off the road.

This will annoy many, but I have always felt that 17 was too young to drive. But the law does state 17. Well it seems the insurance companies are effectively taking matters into their own hands with crazy premiums.

When I think of the huge amount of money I have paid for car insurance over the years, and the minuscule amount I have taken back, something tells me they are making far more profit than they claim, and that teenage drivers may well be an issue in terms of high claims, but not a plausible cause for the huge premiums we pay.

See my post in the rehabilitating criminals thread Wink

Is it not cheaper to learn with an instructor, you wouldn't need to worry about insurance and petrol. I'm sure I paid a fair bit less than £1k on lessons.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 3:51pm
Think you're probably right Marmy. May well be cheaper to do that. How much are lessons know, about £20+?

So say £400-600. As she's not had any experience at all.

Trouble is, she trusts me, and really wanted to drive with me first, and then with an instructor when she'd had some experience.

as for insurance premiums in general, I ve been driving for 30 years, so I must have paid £8000+ at a guess, and claimed back a couple of hundred.

Damn con men the lot of them. Angry
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 4:19pm
My driving lessons cost approx £16 per hour (four years ago). That was when booking blocks of ten hours. I probably spent about £300-400 on driving, across three months (including tests etc).
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
Marmite View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marmite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 4:49pm

Think you're probably right Marmy. May well be cheaper to do that. How much are lessons know, about £20+?

So say £400-600. As she's not had any experience at all.

Trouble is, she trusts me, and really wanted to drive with me first, and then with an instructor when she'd had some experience.

as for insurance premiums in general, I ve been driving for 30 years, so I must have paid £8000+ at a guess, and claimed back a couple of hundred.

Damn con men the lot of them. Angry

Could always try finding some private land (a farmer's hard-standing etc...), with permission you'd be able to teach your daughter without needing insurance (obviously you wouldn't be covered if she was to run into a bale of straw or something Wink ).

Would give her some experience in manoeuvres before taking up some lessons on the road. 

TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 4:59pm
Seems extremely expensive, my sister who is 19, her insurance is about £700 and she drives a done up sport focus.  It's not just the basic insurance either, it's all the no claims etc. 
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedbird-001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 7:18pm
The whole package to get your liscence cost me about £800. Most of my friends were about the same.
Most had 30/40 hours at £20. I had 38 hours at £18. Then I had to do my theory, which I think was around £40. Then, the test is £60ish + 3 hours of your instructors car booked (3 x 18). So overall, just over £800. It's not cheap!
But obviously, if you've had some experience you can do the lessons in less. I had never driven a car before, so didn't know what anything did!!
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 7:24pm
There is a plus course these days isn't there? You do a few extra lessons after you pass, and you get lower insurance. No test required for the plus bit.

Not sure how much it knocks off.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 7:29pm
Depends on the insurance company. I think it gets you 10% discount or something, if it is recognized at all...

I must have been lucky - for me to learn to drive cost me £280. After the first 10 lessons my instructor said I was ready for the test, but wanted me to do 10 more lessons to get some practise.

Driving isn't difficult - you just need to think (and study).

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 8:37am

No studying when MartinW past his test. Just read the highway code and attempt to remember it. Then do your test. Wink

Actually, I left my handbrake on and tried to drive away. The old Mini was so puny it didn't budge and inch. I looked at the examiner and said... 'I think there's something wrong with the car.' He glanced down at the handbrake. Oops, the incident convinced me I had therefore failed, so I was so relaxed, pressure off, that I drove brilliantly. And passed first time easily. the examiner asked me only three highway code questions, they did that in thse days if you had driven safely and well.

I'm convinced the handbrake incident helped me pass. As is was before I drove away, the examiner ignored it.

My wife had an even more bizarre incident. The car she was about to be tested in developed a fault, the instructor drove to Bristol Street Motors. While they were there, he met an ex employee. A punch up broke out, and there they were rolling on then floor punching each other in the head, with the staff at BSM and my wife watching on. My wife was of course screaming at them that her test was about to start.

Anyway, they got to the the test center in time, she took her test, and passed first time.

So the moral of the story is, if you want to pass your test, then relax yourself by attempting to drive off with the handbrake on, or arrange for your instructor to engage in mortal combat.

GEOFFERS View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEOFFERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 10:20am
 MartinW a few of us, very very lucky. I took my test about the same time just 3 simple questions from the highway code. 1 hour driving, the best I could passed 1st go and the firm paid
 THE GOOD OLD DAYS   
It's easy to make a small fortune in aviation. You start with a large fortune.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 12:14pm
Bit different these days, with a theory test to sit through.

Hasn't reduced the number of crazy teenagers crashing their cars through brick walls though.

So I wonder if there's been any benefit at all to the introduced theory test. The point is, the nut cases that cause havoc on the road don't do so because they don't know what they should be doing, they do so due to the fact they are indeed nut cases, and there's limited chances of being caught.

As usual, government introduces measures with limited effectiveness measures to counter things, but neglect the real cause... the lack of deterrent.
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 12:42pm

No studying when MartinW past his test. Just read the highway code and attempt to remember it. Then do your test. Wink

Back then though there wasn't that much on the road was there, occassional horse and cart, some steam rollers etc. By the time you got the car going, advanced the timing, meshed the gears etc. and adjusted your driving hat and goggles, it was almost time for tea... Wink

I left it late, didn't learn until Ashley was born, back in 1997 (I was 27). They had just introduced the theory test back then and I was in an exam room with 30 or so young kids.

I completed the test, checked it over, waited five minutes or so and then informed the examiner who asked if I wanted to do a test paper they were developing for the following year. I completed that as well and checked it over - only then did the first of the youngsters say they had finished!

I had full marks on both, but then, it wasn't exactly hard - slightly worrying actually that all the kids there puzzled over the questions for so long...Confused 
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedbird-001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 12:50pm
Theory tests are incredibly easy...I don't actually know how people fail! oh how I laughed

One of my questions was a red triangle with two old people in it. It said "What does this sign mean?

I can't remember all the answers, but one of them was 'T Junction'! HOW WOULD ANYONE GET THAT WRONG!!!?? Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic