This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Young person's car insurance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 1:06pm
Yep, most were of the format that there was three obviously wrong answers (if you have any shred of common sense) leaving one answer that had to be right even if you didn't know straight off.

Q. What should you do if a driver cuts in front of you.
A1. Get out and beat him up.
etc. etc.

Thinking again though, perhaps that's why some of the youngsters at the time were having difficulty deciding on the correct answer since more than one may have applied to them...
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 2:15pm
They were probably looking for the multiple choice answers to question 1... First Name/Surname......
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 2:53pm
They were probably looking for the multiple choice answers to question 1... First Name/Surname......

just me, or did anyone else think ''blond female'' as soon as you read that? Tongue

Me and my wife learned at the same time, nowadays the examiners also ask you at least questions about the car your driving, ( no not 0-60 race times chavvies ) and i was told to expect at least one related to under the bonnet, such as how do you check the oil, or to locate the dipstick, 3 of mine were;

Where do you put the engine coolant.
How do you check the oil.
How do you check if the tyre is legal.

I passed 1st time with only 2 minors, and not bragging but i did have the best result score out of anyone my instructor was teaching Big%20smile

I also did my pass plus, no L  plates, more in depth driving, and on my last pass plus session i went with my instructor and another guy and drove down the A11, M11 then round London on the M25, north west south east route, then back up M11 and A11.
I did manage to work it out so that i wasnt driving when we drove past Gatwick, Heathrow and Stansted. Smile was a long long day though

Insurance was also a pain, first car was a little Alto 1.0, still cost about £1000, with me and my wife on it, pass plus only knocked off about £75. better than nothing though

Rover 25 1.4 was £1200 with Tesco, then when i got my current car ( Mk4 Astra 2.2 ) they wanted £1900!!! even with my NCB, so off i went to Elephant who wanted £900 ( still alot but cheap compared to most others ) didnt have to have sky high excess either.

Another thing thats stupid though is im trying to get a deisel, yet most ive found are still costing me about £800 on insurance, yet everyone is saying swap to Diesels as they'e cheaper, yeah but only for fuel ( and some on tax but not all )
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 3:54pm
Diesel is more expensive than Unleaded these days. I remember when it was much cheaper and there was a big push to move over to it, which everyone did, and the Government promptly raised the duty to the same as unleaded. Doh!

I don't see much difference in fuel economy between my current 2.4L diesel and a previous 2.0L unleaded one to be perfectly honest - they produce similar ranges/mpg over my usage pattern.

Where it's miles better is emissions. I've had a company car for virtually the entire time I've been driving, and now that it's emissions based, my current steed is on 159gCO2 which is much cheapness compared with the old one which was 179 gCO2.

Reduced me tax bill no end
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
GEOFFERS View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEOFFERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 3:55pm
I had a lot Diesel car I found that in the past I did get a discount on INS servicing can be a lot more often not so easy  DIY when I did get a 405 Turbo not any more on INS .But it was fast with 44 MPGBig%20smile
It's easy to make a small fortune in aviation. You start with a large fortune.

VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 4:09pm
Diesel around here is sufficiently more expensive than petrol such that whilst a diesel will get you more MPG compared to the same sized petrol, the fuel bill will be the same.

The original argument used to be that diesel was cleaner, then they realized it polluted the hell out of the place in addition to emitting carcinogens, so they tried to put everyone off them again.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 5:09pm
Quote Back then though there wasn't that much on the road was there, occassional horse and cart, some steam rollers etc. By the time you got the car going, advanced the timing, meshed the gears etc. and adjusted your driving hat and goggles, it was almost time for tea... Wink

Horrible man! Cry You upset me so much sometimes, basically because I'm so very sensitive, and you so evil.

Actually, when I first passed, and found myself driving through the centre of Birmingham on my way home from work, it was mayhem, the exact opposite to ''not much on the road''. I ended up leaving work late, so the traffic would ease. Insanity was the name of the game.

767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by VulcanB2 VulcanB2 wrote:

Diesel around here is sufficiently more expensive than petrol such that whilst a diesel will get you more MPG compared to the same sized petrol, the fuel bill will be the same.

The original argument used to be that diesel was cleaner, then they realized it polluted the hell out of the place in addition to emitting carcinogens, so they tried to put everyone off them again.

Best regards,
Vulcan.

Not strictly true Vulcan, for people that do low miles per week maybe so, but not high mileage,

one of colleagues has diesel and she only lives about 5 miles away, she said it doesnt really warrent her having a diesel now.

Me on the other hand, i do about 300-350 miles per week.

My current car has a fuel tank of 52L,thats approx 11.5 Gallons. my car does 30-34mpg.
So for arguments sake say it is 32mpg. Petrol round her averages £1.15p/l petrol, £1.17p/l diesel.

1.15 x 45 = £51.70,( knocking off about 7 litres for reserve. )
45L = 9.89 gallons,
9.89 x 32 = 316 miles for £51.70

Now swap to a diesel,  one i am thinking of getting does 57mpg,

So say i put in 45 litres of diesel in my new car, how long will it last me?

45 x £1.17 = £52.65
9.89 x 57 = 563 miles for £52.65.

hmmmmm, i think i know what id rather have.

Why do you think people like my dad get diesels for company cars? he does about 500 miles a week, on paper his car does 50mpg, but he has got over 65mpg out of it sometimes.

i know some petrols can get good mpg, my old 1.4 could get 40mpg. Unless you have a modern 1.0 or 1.1 petrol engine diesels are hard to beat.

Diesel around here is sufficiently more expensive than petrol

Wherever i have been i have never seen Deisel more than 3p per litre than petrol.

ChrisE View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 9:03pm
Hi Martin,

I'm 18 and driving around, and indeed, its very expensive! There really is no real way around it, and insurance companies are just pure scammers! May i just say, count yourself lucky to have a 17 year old DAUGHTER! The average insurance premium for 17 year old girls is approximately 50% cheaper than it is for the boys, i ended up paying £2,200 for my insurance originally, before changing car to a 1.4, where i got hit for £2,500! And they say that after the first year it all gets better, once again, i can tell you.. it doesn't! I've just paid £2000 for my second year, with a years no claims.

Now it may seem unfair, and I know the majority of kids that pass these days are good drivers, however, accidents do happen, and its a very well known fact that accidents happen more to those who are inexperienced! (i found that out for myself last week when i went into the back of someone!) All i can suggest is, pay for the first year, i know its a lot of money, but then ask Katy to save maybe £20 a week for next years premium, because if you don't save, you'll be hit hard again!

It is completely unfair, but to summarise, there really are no cheaper alternatives. Good luck to your daughter in learning, and also to yourself in finding insurance, i went through churchill who were the most reasonable, but am now with elephant.
The future's bright, the futures orange.

CTC Aviation
ConcordeGuy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConcordeGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 10:00pm
I've booked my test for, well, soon anyway. As soon as I get my pink card, I'm not touching a car for years unless I get a decent paying job. It's a bloody scam - the government should put a curb on insurance companies!
Rides a 1999 Kawasaki ZZR600
767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by ChrisE ChrisE wrote:

Hi Martin,

I'm 18 and driving around, and indeed, its very expensive! There really is no real way around it, and insurance companies are just pure scammers! May i just say, count yourself lucky to have a 17 year old DAUGHTER! The average insurance premium for 17 year old girls is approximately 50% cheaper than it is for the boys, i ended up paying £2,200 for my insurance originally, before changing car to a 1.4, where i got hit for £2,500! And they say that after the first year it all gets better, once again, i can tell you.. it doesn't! I've just paid £2000 for my second year, with a years no claims.

Now it may seem unfair, and I know the majority of kids that pass these days are good drivers, however, accidents do happen, and its a very well known fact that accidents happen more to those who are inexperienced! (i found that out for myself last week when i went into the back of someone!) All i can suggest is, pay for the first year, i know its a lot of money, but then ask Katy to save maybe £20 a week for next years premium, because if you don't save, you'll be hit hard again!

It is completely unfair, but to summarise, there really are no cheaper alternatives. Good luck to your daughter in learning, and also to yourself in finding insurance, i went through churchill who were the most reasonable, but am now with elephant.

me too chris, read my post above, im now with elephant as they are about £1000 cheaper than other companies.
johnsmithfsx View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnsmithfsx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 11:35pm
'Round here there's a program that involves classes that you can go through to get a deduction in the costs. I've done that, but I'm not sure what the final price tag is going to be.
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2010 at 10:44am
That's nothing, in my first year for my 1.4 litre 206 Sport I had to pay nearly £4000 for my own fully comp policy - almost as much as the car itself!  And i've got Pass Plus.
Kind regards,
Tom
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2010 at 12:24pm
...think I'd be tempted to change the car in that case... Was driving a 'sport' model worth giving the £4000 to the insurance guy...?
theryanbradley View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theryanbradley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2010 at 12:47pm
You guy's came off quite well.

I'm 19, driving a 1.2l Clio on a V-reg but live in the least insured town in the whole country so I'm paying a rediculous premium of ~£2000, third party, fire & theft.

Great stuff, just hoping that it drops when I have no claims ect.
Many Thanks,

Ryan

There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician, the other is an artist in love with flight.
GEOFFERS View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEOFFERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2010 at 1:12pm

I have Friend in north wales one a watch & clock repair his Young son in supper market they both have low insurance over 55%less than me  with good cars so move to wales it may be cheaperBig%20smile {live in wales as a vicar}Big%20smileand they may pay you Big%20smile    

It's easy to make a small fortune in aviation. You start with a large fortune.

Speedbird-001 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedbird-001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2010 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by twright twright wrote:

That's nothing, in my first year for my 1.4 litre 206 Sport I had to pay nearly £4000 for my own fully comp policy - almost as much as the car itself!  And i've got Pass Plus.

You possibly have yourself to blame for the high price, but if you can afford it then why not have a sport! oh how I laughed
767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 12:05am
Originally posted by Speedbird-001 Speedbird-001 wrote:

Originally posted by twright twright wrote:

You possibly have yourself to blame for the high price, but if you can afford it then why not have a sport! oh%20how%20I%20laughed

If twright doesnt know this i hate to rain on his parade but the 'sport' 1.4 version is actually no quicker than say a 1.4 quicksilver.

One of my other colleagues has a 1989 Toyota Celica, and she thinks shes paying too much as its classed as a sport. she is 25 and has 4 years NCB, about £900 Comp. With £350 excess aswell.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 9:14am
My insurance is 180 quid... chuckle!

Evil%20SmileWink
scampy View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 10:12am
Some crazy prices that people are paying.

At the moment i have a ten year old land cruiser. Which i pay £80 a year to insure. ( Insurance is based on the amount of time you have had a licence, and how many claims you have made)

I have had my licence for 15 yrs and ive never claimed in russia hence cheapo insurance. After new year i will buy a turbo forrester. And im looking at £120 a year. In the UK because of stupid past mistakes when i was younger i would not get insurance for either vehicle. Net summer i will drive home to england through europe, and when i get to the uk i will have to insure my girlfriend because they will not even give me a quote.

The insurance companies know you have to be insured by law, so they put any price they see fit because they know that some people will pay it, also you have insurance tax so the gov. doesnt care whether your premium is high.

It just annoys me that the insurance companies will not recognise the rehabilitaion of offenders act and still ask for information of your driving history upto 11 years after an infringement. The last time i bought car insurance in the uk the guy who owned the brokers told me the company will ask for any bans in the last 11 years but in reality you only legally have to tell them for the past 5 years. The companies cant judge you on offences commited outside of that period but if you tell them then they can use that information.

I agree they are trying to price young drivers out of the market, but if they did or they set an age where they refused to insure people below that age it would be taken as ageism or sexism in some cases.

But in the defense of the insurance companies you are not just insured for your vehicle they are insuring you against damage that you may cause to other people or other peoples property which in some claims can run into the millions, imagine having to pay yourself for an accident were somebody was killed, and it was your fault. And also we live in a country were if you crash and its not your fault the first thing people claim for (after their car) is whiplash, loss of earnings, hire car for the time you are waiting for the car to be fixed. So before the value of the car they have to pay out quite a lot of money it could be into the 1000`s before they even look at the value of a car for repair or write off.
.......... блять
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic