This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What do you think of this one?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do you think of this one?
    Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 6:52pm
Hi, when I was at school today, I was told who was getting awards for certain subjects and I'm really annoyed at my one of my teachers choices. 

Well I got Excellence in French (best award you can get) and Endeavor in Chinese.  (basically means tried but failed)  I am so annoyed and here is why:

So there are 4 people in my class for Chinese and the one who gets the Excellence attends class and does homework, expected to get a grade B in the exam and tells everyone how much she hates the subject.  She has chosen not to continue with Mandarin this year. 

And there is me, who has worked my socks off, attending all the revision classes available (not because I need to go to them, but just because I really enjoy learning Chinese) going in on holidays to do more, buying audio courses (which aren't cheep) Reading many books about Chinese culture, going to Chinese food stores to practice Chinese, always really enthusiastic in class and I'm expected to get a grade A in the exam, and what do I get an Endeavor awardOuch 

This has really made my blood boil, because I've studied so hard and this obviously makes the school look good, and what do I get, basically it all thrown back in my face from them. 

I've chosen to continue with Mandarin this year and I am going to be one of the first in Scotland to sit the Higher exam which consists of reading, writing, speaking and listening, recognized as the most difficult level possible at High School, my teacher chose to send me straight to Higher instead on sitting Int 2, and I get Endeavor.  Angry

My parents are really angry too and have told me to have a word with my teacher which I did and he said it doesn't count for anything and he was forced to make a quick decision.  (I know it doesn't count for anything but to me that's not the point.) 

It's really put me down because everything I've done over two years I've just had thrown in my face.  My teacher who gets on really well with me and we have a good laugh has stabbed me in the back. 

My mum and dad said I should tell my teacher the award isn't suited to my ability and to give it to another person I agree with this but I think it just makes me look ungrateful. 

What do you think of this?

Sorry for the long rant!
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 7:18pm
Your reaction is entirely understandable. I would be disappointed, too.

Talk to the teacher, ask her why she thought you deserved such an award. If she gives you a duff answer then make your opinion known, but ask first. Some teachers think by giving you low grades, even if you're already doing well, will push you to do even better, but in reality it often has the opposite effect.

If it is just a school thing, don't sweat it too much. At the end of the day your grades are what count, though it is nice to be recognized in front of the school for your achievements.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 7:30pm
Thanks Vulcan, I completely agree with you that it's the grades which count but just so annoyed that my hard work was not recognized by the school, I actually feel insulted by what I got and would rather have no award at all.

Then what really annoyed me even more was when I was in French today a teacher came in and asked the class if anybody count teach the 2nd years Mandarin numbers 1-10 because all the other teachers were busy, I was the only person in the class which volunteered despite the girl who got the excellence award she just continued to chat to her friends. 
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 7:51pm
The other thing I was going to say is that I feel that it's a bit awkward for me to talk to the teacher properly, because it's not like any other subject where you have 20 in you class, but from this year it's just me in the class so it's 1:1 tuition so I don't want to fall out, because that will just make it awkward for us both.
Herky View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 8:50pm
Ya know ....its .

In my day you either passed or failed.seems like you passed Tom..

PPL.

I refer you to the obvious!:

Look flying is the main thing. If I were your dad I would say: .  Nope. Englsh, Maths, Physics, (Ya know Bernolies Princpapal)  For the lords sake.....we need you guys in our front line interceptors......not spell checking  a Mandarin!!!!!!!!!!

GET ITBig%20smile   HUGH! as the us marines say!!

You Tube at HERKY231 or David Herky

TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 8:56pm
I know what your saying, but I really enjoy it and I just think it's extremely unfair the result considering my expected grade and the amount of work and dedication I put in over the two years.

I'd tend to disagree, my flight instructor said speaking foreign languages is a very useful skill if wanting to be a pilot. 
Herky View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 8:58pm
This video is the only thing you should be aware of.......I speak as a father figure who put my son into the RAF......

They are the buisiness, not mandarin........

AGAIN  have you got Flashplayer.do as you were told.......snap to;

Herky View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 9:09pm
Tom, I am telling you first hand...Mandarin is not a required language in the RAF. My son has said the same word !Big%20smile

Depends what you wanna do with yer life..

Me I'd want to fly the RED ARROWS..(Have you managed to download it yet!!! Phew...your hard work!)

Look, just get to where you want. Is it RAF ??Is it Virgin, Is it British Airways or is it the language section of yer school..........Wink

TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 9:21pm
No, it's commercial pilot I want to be, RAF not really my thing.  But I would think speaking Mandarin and a number of European languages would help.  Studying Mandarin also shows the employer how committed you are to facing a challenge.  Plus not many English speakers can speak Mandarin.
Herky View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 9:41pm
I commend your commitment.

However, my son still says it a load .If your gonna go for the RAF then forget Mandarin....................sorry BUD but thats it.... My Lad fixes Tornados and has a handle

Whatever TYour teacher thiks, *II think was

.......and I still think you should go for the RAF.......have you looked at thhis:

Cumon!Big%20smile

TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 9:47pm
Tom, I am telling you first hand...Mandarin is not a required language in the RAF.

I never said it was.Big%20smile

Depends what you wanna do with yer life..

Mandarin is quickly becoming the worlds most useful language.

Still can't open your youtube links with flash player installed. 

Not really bother what your sons says, I enjoy it regardless.

RAF not my thing.

Can you please stop replying to this post because I find your replies to be very rude and abusive.
CyprusAirwaysA330 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyprusAirwaysA330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 10:38pm

Tom, it's for the moderators to decide, not for you to tell someone to srubbishe out.

Is this commendation a grade, or just like an end of year prize?  If it's a prize, I wouldn't bother contesting it, after all, as you're the only studying it, then only you can get it.  And what is this intermediate/advanced stuff?  I have no idea how this relates to GCSE nor what year you're in...

Scotty View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 10:46pm
Herky - Please moderate your language in these forums. I have edited your posts above. If you are unable to moderate your language then we will have no alternative but to deny forum access to you.

I appreciate your help and understanding. Thank you.

Alex Ford
Just Flight Ltd.
Scotty

Just Flight Ltd.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 11:08pm
Long time, no see, Scotty!

Best regards,
Vulcan.
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2010 at 7:19am
Originally posted by CyprusAirwaysA330 CyprusAirwaysA330 wrote:

Is this commendation a grade, or just like an end of year prize?  If it's a prize, I wouldn't bother contesting it, after all, as you're the only studying it, then only you can get it.  And what is this intermediate/advanced stuff?  I have no idea how this relates to GCSE nor what year you're in...

It's just an end of year award, not a grade.  The thing that has really annoyed me though is all the work I've put in, this makes the school look good, and they given me an Endeavor, basically making me look really stupid. 

Intermediate 1 is the basics of the language. 
Intermediate 2 fairly advanced
Higher recognized to be the most difficult course in Mandarin (the one I'm sitting this year) 

767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2010 at 8:16am
To be honest Tom i wouldn't worry about it.

When i was in school and had reviews at the end of the year i wouldn't always get what i wanted, plus the teachers couldnt write there review in there own words. They had to pick statements out. So of course you can imagine how annoyed i was when i read lines such as ''benjamin can be disruptive in class'' ( quite funny when i think about it now ) but all it was was me asking for a bit of equipment or something similar, i wouldnt dare act up as to be honest the teachers scared me!

Plus your lucky to be able to learn a language that i didnt even know they taught in schools! When we had to pick a language for GCSE we had 2 choices; French or German. 1 year later we heard they started to teach Spanish, which i was very disapointed about.
Scotty View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2010 at 10:37am
Originally posted by VulcanB2 VulcanB2 wrote:

Long time, no see, Scotty!

Best regards,
Vulcan.

Hello Vulcan - thanks for saying hello. I am still around but just very busy :-)
Scotty

Just Flight Ltd.
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2010 at 4:02pm
I was at school today and feel a bit bad now, I now realized why he gave the award to the other girl, he is buying me something 'special' instead of an award.  Can't wait to see what it is.
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2010 at 4:05pm
Quote he is buying me something 'special' instead of an award

Confused

Anyone else? Just me then?

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2010 at 4:59pm
Big%20smile No me as well.

Weird.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic