This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What do you think of this one?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 3:24pm
And 634 to live on per month isn't exactly great considering you're 70k in the hole

As i said though if he was still living with his parents i dont see the problem,

Definitely worth bearing in mind that at some point in your twenties (hopefully!) you will be wanting to move in with a partner, start a family, get going with a pension, go on holiday etc. All seem very distant in your late teens, but when considering taking out a loan which will reduce your income to £634 a month, its certainly a concern. I certainly couldn't afford to live 'comfortably' on anything less than £1000 pcm, and I don't have a particularly lavish lifestyle. Its a very expensive world to live in! Just filling my car this morning cost £55 Dead

Are you saying you cant live on less than £1000pm if you were alone or living with a partner?

9.89 * 45 * 52 = 23,142 (45 hours per week, no holidays!!!)

You get paid holidays dont you? I certainly do anyway.

Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 3:37pm
Quote Are you saying you cant live on less than £1000pm if you were alone or living with a partner?

I live with a partner, who earns, and couldn't live comfortably on less than £1000pcm. That would include putting away some money each month though, but that's vital if you are running a household.

Example:

Mortgage on a first home = £500-700 pcm
Food for two = £200 pcm
Petrol = £100 pcm
Bills = £300 pcm

Add to that a loan which costs £650 pcm and you need to be earning a fair bit to cover your overheads.

Its an expensive country to live in!
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 3:50pm
Thats a lot of petrol compared to me MartYn. I spend £36 pm. Big%20smile
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 3:50pm
I spend £36 pm. Big%20smile

That's very presise Martinoh%20how%20I%20laughed
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

But not as much as I used to spend when Natalie lived in Bournemouth, £230 a month!
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 3:52pm

£230 a month, that's a hell of a lot.  What type of car did you have?

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 3:54pm
Martyn drives around in fist gear with his foot flat down, wheels spinning, chav music blaring from the open window, while texting on his mobile. Big%20smileWink

Init!
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by TomA320 TomA320 wrote:

£230 a month, that's a hell of a lot.  What type of car did you have?

I was driving a 1.4 petrol that did around 38mpg. Unfortunately I was doing up to 1300 miles a month! The things we do for love...

Martyn drives around in fist gear with his foot flat down, wheels spinning, chav music blaring from the open window, while texting on his mobile. Big%20smileWink

Init!

Sounds more like SamR to me Wink

Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
SamR View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer
Chargin' ma lazers!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 4:02pm

Sounds more like SamR to me Wink

Im working on it! being that my average fuel cost is never below £220 pm and thats just getting to JF Towers and back Cry

Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 4:19pm
Time to get rid of the Ferrari!
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
GEOFFERS View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEOFFERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 6:18pm

Martyn try SWEDON if you think the UK has a high cost of living. SWEDON nothing cheap at a beer about £8 a pint medical drugs beyond most UK people. I know someone who has gone to work there {computer annualised for a bank} they put on a great C130 displyThumbs%20Up
It's easy to make a small fortune in aviation. You start with a large fortune.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by TomA320 TomA320 wrote:

I spend £36 pm. Big%20smile

That's very presise Martinoh%20how%20I%20laughed

Just filled it up Tom. Usually around that figure. Can't drive far due to my back injury.
767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Martyn Martyn wrote:

Quote Are you saying you cant live on less than £1000pm if you were alone or living with a partner?

I live with a partner, who earns, and couldn't live comfortably on less than £1000pcm. That would include putting away some money each month though, but that's vital if you are running a household.

Example:

Mortgage on a first home = £500-700 pcm
Food for two = £200 pcm
Petrol = £100 pcm
Bills = £300 pcm

Add to that a loan which costs £650 pcm and you need to be earning a fair bit to cover your overheads.

Its an expensive country to live in!

Well i live with my partner, i earn about £960pm, my wife probably earns about £100 more.

together with our wages we live comfortably to be honest,

Mortgage: £500pm
Council Tax: £110pm
Electricity and Water: Approx £55pm
Oil: works out about £25pm
Fuel: £350pm, i spend about about £210pm on the fuel as its a 60 miles round trip just to travel for work, add social travel on top of that im doing about 350+ miles per week.

This does leave us about £800 left over however

Im not saying i can afford to pay the training loan as i know i wont, what i was trying to get across is if Tom is still living with his parents he wouldnt have all these bills. If he gets into flight training soon and is done by the time he 21/22 i think he will still be enjoying himself to settle down long term.
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 11:42pm
I'm not saying it's not possible, im just saying it's not desirable unless you want to live with the folks and have no social life.

But its up to the individual on what they do with their lives. My only point is get proper impartial advice and do not believe the hype or the people who's livelihoods depend on you signing up for training in a depressed job market.

Anyway, we seem to be going into minutae and in circles, so let's leave it there
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic