This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What do you think of this one?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 7:32pm

I just don't think it's necessary to have a degree for an Airline Pilot.  I think what I should have will be enough. 

Speedbird-001 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedbird-001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 8:26pm
Well at the end of the day, YOU do what's best for YOU. Thumbs%20Up
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 8:36pm
I will do, and I think by the time I leave school I will have enough qualifications to 'stand out from the crowd'. 
GEOFFERS View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEOFFERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 8:42pm
A word of warning the RAF still look down on people who have achieved their PPL and past. I've found it so
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 8:43pm

I don't want to go into the RAF.

GEOFFERS View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEOFFERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 8:54pm
I for one hope you get it as in the RAF it can be a bit off a class thing good luck Thumbs%20Up
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 8:56pm
The RAF doesn't interest me though,  I'd much rather be a commercial pilot.
Speedbird-001 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedbird-001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 8:58pm
The RAF seem perfect for flying from what I hear, but when I went to the careers office they said that bassically they could not accept me; my eyesight is slightly out. Seems a shame and they wouldn't even consider me for Engineering officer, but life continues! I'm just going to get my degree and they take it one step at a time.

I would love to complete a PPL, but my parents just don't have the income, nor do I have the income! It all goes on travelling and living! Never realised how expensive living is...I feel a shock approaching when I get to Uni! .
GEOFFERS View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEOFFERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 9:02pm
UBDERWOOD made a success as a CPL after the RAF he was on on TV, doing team sport is a plus in civey life
GEOFFERS View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEOFFERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 9:26pm
I know how you feel my son is the same age as you I have supported him for his first year £1200  at COV UNI now he is jacking it in,Angry I came close to me not speaking to him, if I had the spare money I WOULD SUPPORT YOU, he is a lazy unfit lad and he now saying he wants now go into in RAF you sound a lot more defined then my son I THINK WILL I GIVE UP SOON ON HIM SOON Unhappy
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 11:30am
Originally posted by TomA320 TomA320 wrote:

I will do, and I think by the time I leave school I will have enough qualifications to 'stand out from the crowd'. 

I wouldn't bargain that.  You'd be very surprised by the amount of entrants the flying schools get that have degrees and the age of them too.  Only a very small number of successful entrants are younger than 21, and the vast majority have degrees.  It's not just the academic ability they're looking for - it's the independence and the life experience they're looking for too, and having been to university that will develop.

You're also not considering a fall-back.  What are you going to do if the flying schools don't accept you?  What are you going to do if you reach the end but can't get a job?  What are you going to do if at some point down the line you loose your class 1 medical and the CAA revoke your ATPL?  An ATPL counts for nothing other than a flying career - yes it's an amazing qualification, but it isn't going to excite the head of HR in a software company for example.
Kind regards,
Tom
SkyFly View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyFly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 11:35am
'A very small number of successful entrants' could be due to only a small number applying younger than 21. It is hard to tell without exact figures as to the success rate.
767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 11:46am
Originally posted by twright twright wrote:

Originally posted by TomA320 TomA320 wrote:

I wouldn't bargain that.  You'd be very surprised by the amount of entrants the flying schools get that have degrees and the age of them too.  Only a very small number of successful entrants are younger than 21, and the vast majority have degrees.  It's not just the academic ability they're looking for - it's the independence and the life experience they're looking for too, and having been to university that will develop.

You're also not considering a fall-back.  What are you going to do if the flying schools don't accept you?  What are you going to do if you reach the end but can't get a job?  What are you going to do if at some point down the line you loose your class 1 medical and the CAA revoke your ATPL?  An ATPL counts for nothing other than a flying career - yes it's an amazing qualification, but it isn't going to excite the head of HR in a software company for example.

To be honest i think Tom is making the right choice, so long as he gets sorting out his route into the aviation career soon. I decided not to go to university as it is just too much money, if i spent thousands on getting a degree there would be no way id be able to pay for my training. Hardly ( if any ) airlines pay the full 100% fees anymore, and even if they do they still take it back through your wages.

SkyFly View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyFly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 11:53am
Well as you have probably seen before on the internet or on AP264's videos, there is no right or wrong way or any pre defined path to follow. It is how you do it and the way you think is right. People get there all different ways.

A degree could be useful to fall back on if you can't become a pilot and may help with your career, at the same time it costs a lot of money so could add a lot to your flying bill afterwards. If you then have to pay for a type rating the costs are just massive, even compared to flight training. If you cannot get a job after training or have to stop training for any reason you can still go to university for a degree if that is what you feel is necessary.

Again, I'm not trying to persuade anyone that either way is better or worse, it is just up to you to research and decide which is best for your situation.
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by twright 
<DIV>You're also not considering a fall-back.  What are you going to do if the flying schools don't accept you?  What are you going to do if you reach the end but can't get a job?  What are you going to do if at some point down the line you loose your class 1 medical and the CAA revoke your ATPL?  An ATPL counts for nothing other than a flying career - yes it's an amazing qualification, but it isn't going to excite the head of HR in a software company for example.[/QUOTE twright
You're also not considering a fall-back.  What are you going to do if the flying schools don't accept you?  What are you going to do if you reach the end but can't get a job?  What are you going to do if at some point down the line you loose your class 1 medical and the CAA revoke your ATPL?  An ATPL counts for nothing other than a flying career - yes it's an amazing qualification, but it isn't going to excite the head of HR in a software company for example.[/QUOTE wrote:

I have, of course I'm, not as fullish to only focus on one job, I've got many other plans if I don't become a pilot.

I have, of course I'm, not as fullish to only focus on one job, I've got many other plans if I don't become a pilot.
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 12:15pm
To be honest i think Tom is making the right choice, so long as he gets sorting out his route into the aviation career soon. I decided not to go to university as it is just too much money, if i spent thousands on getting a degree there would be no way id be able to pay for my training. Hardly ( if any ) airlines pay the full 100% fees anymore, and even if they do they still take it back through your wages.

Thanks, I couldn't afford to go to Uni and train to be a pilot, and more than likely you would not be in a better position.  A lot goes on your flight training and you as a person. 
GEOFFERS View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEOFFERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 10:44pm

Hi TomA320 in 1972 Lynn Rippelmeyer she was a flight attendant to pay for her PPL&CPLshe became Captain for People Express Airlines and first female 747 Captain to the across the Atlantic ocean July 18, 1984 .and being featured in a BBC documentary,Reaching for the Skies, she had an article in flight international at the time she was a team player. last I did hear she was the head of pilot recruitment and training  still with People Express you can get information by going on Wiki it gives a link to U TUBE clip from Reaching for the Skies in flight international she told of all the problems she had just to be a pilot her flying must be over now as it must be over 30 years. she must be 60 or over. Some airlines will help cabin staff to be pilot but most all you are part of and must fit in a team.'TEAM PLAYERS WILL WIN.       

TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 7:21am
Yes, I agree with you, after all it's quite an important thing to function well in a team for being air crew.
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 9:03pm
The harsh reality is that anyone can be a pilot. If you have £100k, OAT will sign you right up there and then.

What you have to ask yourself is if you don't have a degree, will you be able to pay off the £1k a month loan when you don't have a pilot job. You'll likely need a degree to get a job which pays enough, remember the £1k is after tax, so to get enough to cover your loan you'll need to earn £15k, and that's without money to eat/live etc.

The aviation industry is stuffed. There's no rush to get into it - go have 4 years of fun, live a little, get used to way the world works, then see how it goes - at least you'll have a fall back.

If you can afford do to the pilot thing with no debt, then fair play. But it's a massive undertaking.

Borrowing that much money to put on a house is difficult enough, getting it to train with no guarantee of a job at the end, is major cahoonas stuff.

Bankruptcy, as many freshly minted fATPLs are finding out, is not a nice thing.

But up to you!
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 9:59pm

I see your point Slopey about having to get a degree (more than likely) to give you a high end salary in order to pay for the pilot training but I think I should be ok.  I think it's more like £70K than £100K though.  But then the pilots annual wage will pay that back in a matter of a few years. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic