This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What do you think of this one?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedbird-001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2010 at 5:14pm
The awards don't matter....it's the grade you get at the end of the day that does!
CyprusAirwaysA330 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyprusAirwaysA330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2010 at 5:15pm

Right.  Tom, your the same age as me, yet you feel that a prize is something to vent such frustration over?  Surely the grade is all that matters?

EDIT: Speedbird, seems we posted the same view at the same time. 

TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2010 at 5:25pm
yes I know but it's nice for the teacher to recognise your work.
Speedbird-001 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedbird-001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2010 at 5:31pm
That won't be showed on your UCAS application though. And sometimes, they need to encourage the people who aren't performing. 
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2010 at 7:33pm

I know, I'm not wanting to go to University though. 

they need to encourage the people who aren't performing. 
True, but seems a bit tough for the people who do perform.   

twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2010 at 10:31pm
I wouldn't fret too much over these internal 'awards'.  The school I went to did a similar sort of thing too.  I never got one.  It's the school's way of trying to motivate you to get a better grade at the end of the course, because all they care about is boosting their position on the national leaderboard.  Sounds harsh but it's true!

That's life i'm afraid, Tom!  I had it all the way through school too.  They award the ones who have made the biggest improvement - so a person who was initially failing at everything then gets high grades at the end is more likely to get the award than someone who is naturally bright and gets consistently high grades.

They do this because at GCSE, all they're worried about is the percentage of A*-C grades they get.  Therefore, they will go out of their way to award and motivate someone at D grade level so they can push them up into that boundary.  However, someone at A grade level is already in that boundary, so the school feels no need to encourage them further.  It's all wrong, but sadly it's true.
Kind regards,
Tom
CyprusAirwaysA330 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyprusAirwaysA330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 12:11am
Originally posted by TomA320 TomA320 wrote:

I know, I'm not wanting to go to University though. 

they need to encourage the people who aren't performing. 
True, but seems a bit tough for the people who do perform.   

University is a great thing....especially if you are achieving the grades you are, you should definitely go for it.

VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 1:44am
Originally posted by RAS RAS wrote:

Quote he is buying me something 'special' instead of an award
ConfusedAnyone else? Just me then?

Best regards,
Vulcan.
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 8:29am
Originally posted by twright twright wrote:

However, someone at A grade level is already in that boundary, so the school feels no need to encourage them further.  It's all wrong, but sadly it's true.

Yes, I think the Principle teacher of the department tries to sway the teachers decision too.
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 8:32am

University is a great thing....especially if you are achieving the grades you are, you should definitely go for it.

Most are 4 year courses and I want to start my training to be a pilot as soon as I can.  Plus, University fees and pilot training, too much money I'm afraid. 
SkyFly View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyFly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 9:25am
Remember to keep your options open, for example if someone hasn't applied to UCAS but also fails their class one medical, or doesn't get a place at the FTO they wanted.
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 10:12am
True, but I think I'd rather just get out into the world of work. 

twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 12:53pm

True, but I think I'd rather just get out into the world of work. 

A university degree opens up many more career prospects.  Some industries won't touch you if you don't have a degree.  Not all degree courses last four years.  Many are three, and some offer a year in industry as part of the course (get a year's work placement in the middle).  I recommend you take a look at universities and courses as part of your research.  I was like you a couple of years ago, all I wanted to do was leave school and bike it off to the States to learn to fly.  However, I've since changed my mind after learning more about university options and how it can significantly enhance your chances of employment later.
Kind regards,
Tom
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 1:54pm
There are not many courses which interest me that are taught at uni.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 3:48pm
A lot of people go to Uni to end up with degrees they don't use. I think that is in part due to the subjects they're studying in the first place.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
GEOFFERS View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEOFFERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 5:44pm
toma320
 I think you will find the RAF a lot harder to be a pilot than in civey outfits. out of 100 who try about 10 to 15 get past the first post then is down to about 7 to 9 with aptitude and commitment only about 3 to 4 get to fly. after all that if you are the right high and physic 1 may get on to fast jets the rest go transport coppers ect.
I was in the RAF ground engineer on the C130 we did have a lot of short and tall pilots! and as a little note test pilots all are over 30+ 
I had a look at the lockheed site they all had graying hair Big%20smile My best wish for your flying career
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedbird-001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 5:54pm

Most are 4 year courses and I want to start my training to be a pilot as soon as I can.  Plus, University fees and pilot training, too much money I'm afraid. 

I know everyone is different and there are hundreads of way to become a pilot, but surely a degree is the best option?

I've decided to go for my degree in Aerospace Engineering, so that I have that slight edge over other candidates. And if all goes horribly wrong, I have something to fall back on. Hopefully that won't happen though! .

And, these 'internal' awards mean nothing...people want recognised certificates. Smile Your grades will make you stand out...not internal awards!
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 6:45pm

A degree isn't the be all and end all, I think with good school qualifications and previous flying experience, you will have a good shot.  Plus, some people who are highly qualified and got degrees etc, don't have an ounce of common sense. 

First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedbird-001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 7:17pm
SkyFly View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyFly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 7:24pm
Interesting video, and while lots had degrees, notice that last chap had a degree yet apparently no employment (or did I miss something?) and had to pay for a type rating. Also remember this course was a while back (2006 I believe) so before the downturn and hopeful recovery soon. I am not trying to persuade anyone either way (degree or no degree), just seemed interesting.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic