This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Internet query

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Internet query
    Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 11:25pm
Well finally i have got the internet on my home pc, after waiting for 2 months, to be honest i thought Sky would be better at customer service. Enough about that though,

When we bought the Sky package the interent side of things had 3 options, we opted for the £5p/m option of getting upto 10mb speed and 10GB download.

However when we phoned for the ''somanytimeswecantremember'' we were told that this option doesn't exist anymore, there are only 2, which is:

Free Option; 2mb speed, 2gb download.

£15p/m; upto 20mb, unlimited download.

seeing as we cant really afford £15p/m at the moment we choose the Free option, but the woman said the interent boxes are all the same, so if our area on average should get upto 8mb ( i have checked ) we should get 8mb, ( obviously depending on time of day ) but i have been browsing the last hour and to be honest it isnt as fast as when i had the pc wired up over at my mothers house ( she gets about 6mb on average ), it was really fast yet here really slow, and it is about 11.30pm.

So what are your thoughts on this, and it will seem like a dumb question, but can i find out how fast the internet is when i am acutally using it?

Plus i am hoping it is faster than 2mb as i do fancy doing interent gaming, especially with FS!

CyprusAirwaysA330 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyprusAirwaysA330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 12:12am
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 1:23am
2 Mb is suitable for flying AS LONG AS IT IS CONSISTENT!

What hacks me off more is not slow speeds, but the fact it is variable, and can drop below usable transfer rates for no good reason.

I used to have a 2 Mb line that was 2 Mb all the time and it was fine. I don't do anything now that I didn't then, but my current service causes me more problems than the 2 Mb ever did because the speed is so variable and applications choke when the data rate suddenly slows.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 11:56am
The speed is variable due to contention. It'd be worth finding out how many other users are sharing your connection, for domestic 50:1 is not uncommon, and most business lines are 20:1, depending who you're with and where you're at.

Thankfully I appear to be the heaviest user on my circuit and its a business one, so it works the other way round - it's busy during the day but quiet in the evenings :)
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by VulcanB2 VulcanB2 wrote:

I used to have a 2 Mb line that was 2 Mb all the time and it was fine. I don't do anything now that I didn't then, but my current service causes me more problems than the 2 Mb ever did because the speed is so variable and applications choke when the data rate suddenly slows.

That was an 'old' static rate, 2Mb was the fastest I think, ADSL started at 0.5Mb before offering 1Mb and then 2Mb services.

You are now on a RADSL service (an 'up to') service which, as the R implies, is rate adaptive. You get faster rates than 2Mb at some times (assuming you connection is not really bad) but potentially slower rates at other times. 'Tis the nature of the beast... and the contention of lots of other users on the same old copper infrastructure that has been there for years.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 12:58pm
Quote The speed is variable due to contention.

Nothing to do with it.

Quote It'd be worth finding out how many other users are sharing your connection, for domestic 50:1 is not uncommon, and most business lines are 20:1, depending who you're with and where you're at.

I have exactly the same telephone line, connected to exactly the same exchange, connected to exactly the same equipment as before. They were giving 2 Mb all the time, now I get speeds sometimes as slow at 300 kb.

It is not contention - it is BS and lack of capacity at the ISP where the real problem is.

They always argue contention at is techno garbage to most people so they just say "oh, OK". If you know how the telephone network is strung together you'd see how it really works.

From day 1 BT were saying "contention, contention!". It was an easy way out and an excuse not to invest in the capacity required to handle peak simultaneous use.

ADSL as a technology is rubbish. They only use it because they can use the exsiting copper network which is completely unsuitable for data.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Marmite View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marmite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 2:09pm

Random BS

Contention i.e. lack of capacity at the head-end, it would have taken a lot longer to get broadband if you expect them to have re-laid the entire network. Look at how long NTL et al have been laying cable, it's coverage is shockingly awful.

GEOFFERS View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEOFFERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 8:47pm
thanks for the link for speed test link I am with BT a long from the eckeyCry i still get 2.5 mb can wait till F/Optics 2011 IThumbs%20Up have found time of day and the TV programs have a lot to do with it it good with world cup onSmile  
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 9:14pm

Quote The speed is variable due to contention.

Nothing to do with it.

Absolute everything to do with it.

I have exactly the same telephone line, connected to exactly the same exchange, connected to exactly the same equipment as before. They were giving 2 Mb all the time, now I get speeds sometimes as slow at 300 kb.

You are not on the same 'package' now. You were on a fixed ADSL 2Mb connection. You are now on a rADSL connection which can vary. Undoubtedly there are also far more people hanging off your exchange than before, therefore contention as Marmite says.
It is not contention - it is BS and lack of capacity at the ISP where the real problem is.

They always argue contention at is techno garbage to most people so they just say "oh, OK". If you know how the telephone network is strung together you'd see how it really works.

It is contention

From day 1 BT were saying "contention, contention!". It was an easy way out and an excuse not to invest in the capacity required to handle peak simultaneous use.
Yep, contention. 
ADSL as a technology is rubbish. They only use it because they can use the exsiting copper network which is completely unsuitable for data.
And the alternative is? Are you going to pay the bill for fibre to your cabinet or house...?
GEOFFERS View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEOFFERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 9:35pm
telephone company are doing F/Optics here as fast they say can but it is bit on the economic class I fear, I think it is the case in my location. I only heard it on the grape vine' 
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 9:56pm
Vulcan, do you seriously think that on say a 20Mbps ADSL line, the whole 20Mbit is yours and yours alone?

It's shared between 20+ other subscribers. That's called contention.

That is why the speed varies, because other people are also using the pipe so there's less available for you.

If you want the whole bandwidth, you need to go to a dedicated service, kilostream or use a Frame Relay product - that'll cost you around £16K for 10Mbps depending where you live (I have about 8 of them deployed for my employer).

You can improve contention by getting a business ADSL package which are usually less contended. But if you're on domestic ADSL, your service is contended and you will suffer from contention.
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 10:31am
Thanks for the link. Will have a look at it and see what the result is
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 1:25am
Quote Yep, contention.

No, because contention is counted at the exchange, not at the network center where the ISP joins the rest of the world.

Quote Are you going to pay the bill for fibre to your cabinet or house...?

Yes I would, and the ball is already rolling in that direction.

Quote Vulcan, do you seriously think that on say a 20Mbps ADSL line, the whole 20Mbit is yours and yours alone?

20 Mb?! Where do you think I live? Unfortunately not.

It is the standard "up to" 8Mb, where the average is 3.5 but is quite often slower than 2 Mb.

I think it got lost in posts further up (or I thought it but didn't type it): they need to concentrate on consistent connections, not who can tout the fastest headline speeds.

The viable alternative to ADSL is fibre. They can do it in Singapour, Thailand and South Korea, they can do it here.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 12:25pm

Quote Yep, contention.

No, because contention is counted at the exchange, not at the network center where the ISP joins the rest of the world.

You were on a fixed 2Mb line previously, back in the day when not every man and his dog were online.
You are now on a rate adaptive service where everyone want a share of the same pipe. You are contending with others.

Quote Are you going to pay the bill for fibre to your cabinet or house...?

Yes I would, and the ball is already rolling in that direction.

Really? You are going to pay for fibre to be laid from your exchange to your nearest cabinet and from there to your house before it's otherwise rolled out?

they need to concentrate on consistent connections, not who can tout the fastest headline speeds.
They could, but that would mean everyone going back to fixed 2Mb or less connections...

The viable alternative to ADSL is fibre. They can do it in Singapour, Thailand and South Korea, they can do it here.
They could and hopefully will but it costs and our developed towns and cities  are considerably older and more built up than those other places meaning that it can be more difficult and cost more - our labour also costs more.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 12:38pm
Run the fibre optic cables through the sewers I say. Bit smelly though.  Thumbs%20Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic