This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - new flight plan not seen in fsx...ai replacemnt AA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new flight plan not seen in fsx...ai replacemnt AA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yoram512 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new flight plan not seen in fsx...ai replacemnt AA
    Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 3:09am
Hi..I have 2 questions and I would appreciate any help. I read the tutorials so Im not a lazy bum ....I created a new flight pan after going to fleet database and alowing it to accept all my installed planes in fsx. I chose the pmdg md11 as the plane for the flight plan and created it from kfll to phnl(round trip). I then compiled the flight plans and started up fsx  and went to kfll 5 mins before the md11 was supposed to show up. It wasnt there. I went an hour earlier and 1 hr later with no success. Did I miss something in the flight plan creation process?  2nd question.. I downloaded WOAI Ameican airlines package..how do I correctly replace all the "Merican" planes with the WOAI ones?

Thanks for any help.
                                   Yoram
Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 6:16am
Your PHNL/KFLL flight plan is out-of-range for the Traffic X aircraft. Since it is out of range, the aircraft will never take off from its initial departure airport.

Here's a way both to eliminate all the old Merican liveries and to put all of your new liveries into already-existing flight plans. It requires downloading and installing TexPad. TextPad is shareware, but it has no time limitations, and the trial version is fully functional. (It's a very good program, and I purchased it). You also need to create and save one flight plan within Traffic Control Centre for each new aircraft that you have added. Doing so will put each new correct aircraft's description into the AAL.tcc file. After doing the above, open and sort Traffic X's AAL.tcc file in TextPad. (The AAL.tcc file contains all current American Airlines flight plans). (This technique can be used with the .tcc flight plan file of any airline/carrier).

R E A D   T H E S E   T I P S   F I R S T

A. Before beginning, and as a precaution, create a backup copy of your existing AAL.tcc file.

B. Prior to beginning the below numbered steps, remember to manually create and save
   one flight plan within the Traffic Control Centre for each new aircraft that you have
   added. In Step 6, you will be highlighting and copying a portion of the new aircraft's
   description as it exists in the .tcc file. Without at least one manually created flight plan,
   there would be no description of the new aircraft in the .tcc file.

C. For the portion of the registration number that is enclosed in braces (as shown in the
   EXAMPLE under Step 8), I recommend using 3-digit numbers. Particularly with American  
   Airlines, there could easily be over 100 flight plans for a single model such as the Boeing
   737. If that is the case, enter a registration number such as N100AN when you manually enter
   the registration number for the first American Boeing 737 flight plan in the Traffic Control
   Centre. A low 3-digit number such as 100 provides plenty of headroom for the numbers to
   increment without reaching 1000. The number 100 series could be used again for American
   models other than the Boeing 737 providing at least one character outside the braces differs
   from other American models that use a 100 series. For example, after using N100AN for a 737,
   you could use N100AA for a 767 when manually entering your first 767 flight plan. (For most
   airlines, I prefer not to reuse a series, but you may find you already have so many flight
   plans for AAL that reusing a number series is inevitable if you want to limit the
   incrementing numbers within braces to 3 digits).

R E P L A C I N G   A I R C R A F T   I N   F L I G H T   P L A N S

1. After sorting the .tcc file with TextPad, highlight the incorrect
   aircraft's description (highlighting from the left edge of the line
   over to the right and through the aircraft's registration number).
   Right-click, and select "Copy."

2. Click on TextPad's "Search" button in the top menu, and on the "Search"
   dropdown menu, select "Replace." (If the "Find what" field in the
   "Replace" window is not empty, click in the field, and press your
   keyboard's "Delete" key to clear the field).

3. In the small "Replace" window, be sure that "Text," "Active document,"
   and "Regular expression" are the only items checked. Right-click in the
   "Find what" field, and select "Paste."

4. Change the aircraft's registration number in the "Find what" field of
   the "Replace" window to periods. (The periods function as wildcard
   characters). The number of spaces preceding the first period should be
   kept the same as the number of spaces (if any) that preceded the
   registration number, itself, when the registration number was present.

5. If the "Replace with" field is not blank, click in the field, and press
   your keyboard's "Delete" key to clear the field of any contents.

6. Highlight and copy the correct aircraft's description over through the
   aircraft's registration number.

7. Paste the copied description of the correct aircraft into the small
   "Replace" window's "Replace with" field.

8. In the "Replace with" field, change the registration number of the
   correct aircraft from a constant to an automated sequence. How is that
   done? Here is an example of how to enable Textpad to automatically
   assign a sequence of unique registration numbers to the new aircraft
   for each flight in which the new aircraft is replacing the incorrect
   aircraft:

EXAMPLE

If the correct aircraft (the aircraft that will replace each of the
   aircraft that had been used for a group of flights) had a registration
   number of JA308J, change it to something like JA\i{309}J. (In this
   example, I am changing the registration number in the "Replace with"
   field from 308 to 309 since 309 is the next number in the sequence
   of registration numbers that we are creating). The \i must be present
   and must be placed immediately before the braces. The \i tells
   TextPad to automatically increment the number within the braces with
   each iteration. The number within the braces tells TextPad which
   number to use for the registration number of the first newly-assigned
   aircraft. Each aircraft that replaces an old aircraft will be given a
   registration number that follows in the sequence that begins with - in
   this particular example - 309. Only the part of the registration number
   that is within the braces will change. The choice of which part of the
   original registration number to enclose in braces is up to you. The
   starting sequence number is also your choice. The number of digits
   in the number is up to you, too. However, the entire registration number
   (excluding the braces and the \i but including the part of the
   number outside the braces) should not exceed a total of seven
   alphanumeric characters. Be aware that, as numbers increment,
   the number of digits could increase (depending upon the number of
   aircraft being given new registration numbers) and cause the
   registration number to exceed the maximum number of alphanumeric
   characters allowed for registration numbers.

9. The magic moment has arrived. Click the "Replace All" button.

10. You may find a few rows that contain columns that don't align
    perfectly with columns above and below. If so, click on TextPad's
    "View" button, and, on the drop-down menu,  select "Visible Spaces."
    Check the rows that are correctly aligned to find out if they are
    using spaces or tabs for alignment. Make any desired changes to the
    misaligned rows.

11. Save the modified .tcc file, and run the compiler from within the
    Traffic X Traffic Control Centre.

Note that you will be replacing all of a particular model's (a "model" being a Boeing 737, for example) Merican liveries with your new aircraft livery for that model in a single "replace" action. That's the power of it.

Also note that the above procedure to replace all old aircraft in all flight plans for a particular model with a newly-installed aircraft could be done by using Excel or by using a quality text editor other than TextPad if the other text editor provides a function for incrementing. Only the specifics of doing so would be different. The basic idea would remain the same.

Dan

freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 8:22am
Speaking of "Out of Range" ... yoram, you may wish to consider using the Fleet Database screen in Traffic X to check and adjust the range value for the aircraft.

(edit: Actually, Traffic X should advise you when you are working on a flight plan that the leg is out of range for the aircraft and should not let you continue editing the flight plan until you correct the error.)

A number of the Traffic X aircraft have range settings that are less than the published real-world figures.  For example, the default Traffic X AI 747-400 aircraft is not able to reach Los Angeles (USA) from Sydney (Australia), despite being able to do so in real life.  A quick "tweak" of the range value for the aircraft in the Traffic X Fleet Database screen, entering a value that is equal to or near the real-world published figure, will correct the situation.  Likewise for any other aircraft which you may be working on with your flight plan edits that happen to also have incorrect values.  (I use real-world range values found on Wiki pages for the respective aircraft.)

Note that this phenomonon (incorrect range values) is not only limited to default Traffic X AI aircraft, but can also be observed when you add a newly downloaded or purchased aircraft in to Traffic X.  I have on occasion added a new plane to Traffic X and tried to set a flight plan for it only to find that it too had incorrect (limited) range values.  (In your case yoram, I wonder if the PMDG MD11 is like this.)

I have no idea why publishers decide to "restrict" the range values of their aircraft.  Personally, I find it annoying.  If I want to add a 747 flight plan to the sim, and in real-life it can certainly make the distance, then it should also do so in my adding and editing ... without my having to do any additional research and subsequent "tweaking" of aircraft defaults.

But, then again, I suppose this is all just another part of the fun of adding and editing flight plans. Smile

yoram512 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yoram512 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 5:20pm

Thanks so much for your help,guys..Soranden..I will try your procedure..but I noticed in the flight plans of the Traffic X center..if I double clicked on the aircraft name, it would give me a drop down a/c list and  let me change the a/c..so I changed a couple of fligjts with the WOAI planes. Havent had a chance to see if it worked tho. Dont I need a complete aircraft.fg file for the WOAI to work? When I installed WOAI planes was missing the "[fltsim.X]" section in its aircraft.cfg file but the flaght planner did see all my WOAI installed planes. As far as out of range goes...I did get an out of range error and the flight plan of one of the American Airlines flight did change to red when I tried to replace it with the same plane but the WOAI version.so I will change the range on that plane. Thanks for the tip! Lastly..I had made a flight plan of an FA-18 taking off from KFLL and doing circuits up to a specified time..the jet never showed up at kfll  to do the circuits. When I do a compile..do I save the compile as the original Traffic X bgl or can I make up my own? How would FSX know which one to use..or does it use all bgl files?  Thanks again for your help....Yoram 

yoram512 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yoram512 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 10:45pm

Dan,

Where do I find the AALtcc  file?  Thank you
Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2010 at 12:30am
Originally posted by yoram512 yoram512 wrote:

Dan,

Where do I find the AALtcc  file?  Thank you

I am seeing the AAL.tcc file for American Airlines and the .tcc files for other airline's flight plans at:

...Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Just Flight\TrafficX\Presets\Data\Schedules\Flight Plans

If you use the method I recommend, you won't need to change aircraft one-at-a-time for each flight plan. It takes longer to learn my method than it does to use it. After you become familiar with the method, you will be able to replace all aircraft of a particular aircraft model in all of that aircraft model's flight plans for a specific airline in around 3 minutes...even if there are a hundred flight plans involved. That sure beats making the changes one-at-a-time by opening each flight plan in the TCC (Traffic Control Centre). (I usually do--rather than creating a new flight plan for a newly-added aircraft livery--make one manual change to an existing flight plan using the TCC, since after saving a flight plan with the new aircraft livery the .tcc file will have the description of the new aircraft that can be copied for use by the "replace" procedure). Only one manual change is needed for each aircraft livery using the TCC. The alternative to changing one existing flight plan for each livery, of course, is to create one new flight plan for each new livery. Either way, the description of the new aircraft livery gets saved to the airline's .tcc file.

Since the method is new to you, back up an airline's existing .tcc file before making any changes.

freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2010 at 1:21am

...I will change the range on that plane. Thanks for the tip!

Further to this tip ... two things:

1)  When you change the range of the aircraft in the Fleet Database screen, be sure to double-check that it was actually changed by Traffic X.  I have often entered values on this screen which didn't seem to "save", despite clicking the "Apply and Exit" button.  I normally change the value, click "Apply and Exit", and then CLOSE Traffic X.  I then re-open it and go back in to the Fleet Database screen to check if my entered value is indeed still there.  If it isn't, I enter it again, click "Apply and Exit", and then CLOSE Traffic X once more.  And so on and so forth until the value does indeed "stick".  It is strange, but that's what I have found.

2)  If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, be sure to run Traffic X using the "Run as Administrator" option (if you are not sure how to do this, Google will help).  This way, any changes that you make will definately be saved correctly in to the appropriate files that Traffic X needs them saved in.  Both Vista and Windows 7 place some restrictions on certain folder locations meaning that changes cannot be made to a file if it resides in one of the restricted folders.  Using the "Run as Administrator" option allows files in such folders to be changed and saved.

Lastly..I had made a flight plan of an FA-18 taking off from KFLL and doing circuits up to a specified time..the jet never showed up at kfll  to do the circuits.

I asked Just Flight support this same question a while back.  Just Flight advised me that preference is always given to aircraft flying from an airport to another airport.  In other words, normal traffic operations.  As a result, circuit aircraft will generally NOT appear if the airport is busy with traffic that are doing normal traffic operations.  As a test, I was advised to set a circuit aircraft up at an airport that had ZERO other aircraft.  And, yes, my circuit aircraft did appear at this "vacant" airport when I did that test.  This is not to say that your circuit aircraft will not appear at all at a populated airport ... just that it is far more unlikely to.  (I do not know if this is a restriction of Flight Simulator itself or Traffic X.)

When I do a compile..do I save the compile as the original Traffic X bgl or can I make up my own? How would FSX know which one to use..or does it use all bgl files?  Thanks again for your help....Yoram 

Personally, I save the compile as the original "TrafficX.bgl" (ie, I overwrite it each time).  But, you can also make up your own if you choose.  Flight Simulator will use all the .BGL files that it finds.  However, if you do decide to create and compile your own separate files, then you need to be mindful and careful not to create "duplicated" AI flights ... because if you make up your own .BGLs, then FSX will still use the "TrafficX.bgl" file in the folder (which will still exist) AND it will use your .BGLs too.  So the same AI traffic and flight plans could effectively now be in more than one .BGL file, resulting in duplicated AI aircraft in FSX.

The question you've asked here (or at least, similar) has been asked in another thread and I provided a detailed response there (including discussion on the possibilty of duplicated AI flights).  Here is a link to that thread: http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=12887&PID=112070

Just look through the thread for my responses - although you may need to read the whole thread to get the right context.  There'a a bit of reading, but it is worth it for the detail and understanding that it provides.

yoram512 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yoram512 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 5:30am
Im so overwhelmed by all the diff AA planes that Traffic X uses and all the flights. I thought I had  all The "Merican" planes converted, and the ones I didnt I got  from WOAI..but it seems there are yet more that need to be repainted. Anyone have a "completed" AA fleet with all the plans using American and not Merican? Id be willing to pay if you sent them to me.  Thanks...Yoram
Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 4:15pm
If all of my AAL flight plans had American liveries rather than Merican liveries, I'd send my AAL.tcc file to you to replace your current file. The reason I don't have all aircraft in my AAL.tcc file converted to American liveries is that I use only DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 compliant liveries. I simply don't have all the American liveries needed to replace all of the various TrafficX Merican models. Even with using your WOAI liveries to replace Merican liveries, you may find that you don't have all of the needed models. That leaves the following two choices, and I selected the second choice for myself:

1. After having made all the substitutions that you can (either by using my above method to make direct replacements in the AAL.tcc file or by making the replacements one-at-a-time via the Traffic Control Centre), delete all of the remaining lines in the AAL.tcc file that still contain Merican liveries.

2. Accept the fact that if you do not have the American liveries required to replace the Merican liveries for all aircraft models, there are going to be some Merican liveries remaining. You can maximize the number of Merican liveries that are replaced by American liveries, though, by using your available American liveries not only to replace the exact same Merican models but also to replace Merican aircraft that are not the same model but that have similar ranges. For example, although I certainly didn't want to use my American Boeing 737 to replace any of the long-range Merican Boeing heavies, I did use my American Boeing 737 to replace a number of Merican non-Boeing models that had ranges similar to my American Boeing 737. I'm not saying other Traffic X users should do the same. I'm just pointing out that the choice of doing so exists.

Dan
yoram512 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yoram512 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 6:40pm
Thanks for  your reply,Dan. It seems kind of ridiculous that all the other flight sim companies dont have a problem using the "American" name..only JustFlight. Ill prob just repaint some more Merican planes to make it complete. ne last question..why cant I replace just the ac  name in note  pad with replace all..why do I have to change the reg. nbr too? Thanks..youve nbeen very helpful.

Yoram 
Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 10:50pm

...why cant I replace just the ac  name in note  pad with replace all..why do I have to change the reg. nbr too? Thanks..youve nbeen very helpful.

Yoram 

Changing the registration numbers is optional. I like to assure that each aircraft has a unique registration number so that when viewing the "Air Traffic" list in FSX there will not be multiple instances of a single registration number.

Dan
jazzman4959 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzman4959 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 9:11pm
Dan, I followed your instructions to replace the "Merican" liveries, but when I went to compile, nothing happened. I made the edits, went into the TCC, selected "Traffic Movements", "Compile Traffic X Flight Plans", selected the existing TrafficX.bgl file and clicked yes to replace it. It simply went back to the Traffic Movements" screen. Did I miss something, or could I have somehow screwed up the AAL.tcc so that it won't compile anything? By the way, just to test that theory I replaced the modified AAL.tcc file with a back-up of the original and tried again. Still nothing.

Thanks,
Michael
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 11:06pm
Jazzman4959, are you perhaps running Traffic X on Vista or Windows 7?  If yes, try running Traffic X "As an administrator".  With it running as administrator, try to do the compile again and see how you go.  Just right click on your shortcut or on the TrafficX.exe and select "Run as administrator" from the sub-menu which appears.  You can also set up Vista and Windows 7 so that the program is always run this way (As an administrator).  If you want to do that, Google will be able help you with that rather than my trying to write instructions here.  (Note that this option for "Run as administrator" is a Vista or Windows 7 thing; you won't need to do this if you are running it on XP.)

To answer your "could I have somehow screwed up the AAL.tcc so that it won't compile anything?" question ... I doubt it.  The fact that you wisely took a backup of the original and then tried again using that backed up original, seems to indicate that the issue is not with the file, but rather with Traffic X just being stubborn or some reason.  As I wrote above, if you are using Vista or Windows 7, try the "Run as administrator" thing to see if that is the issue here.
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzman4959 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 12:37am
Freddy, I am running on Vista and normally run as Administrator (requires a confirmation for every #%@^! operation), but I tried it your way and got the same result. I installed Traffic X (sans FSX) on my XP laptop thinking it might be some weird Vista thing, but got the same result. I also looked on Just Flight's website to see if maybe there's an update, but found nothing there. Any other suggestions are welcome.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 12:53am
When you say it went back to the Traffic Movements screen, are you certain it is doing nothing?  When you hit compile, it does go back the Traffic Movements screen.  On that screen it shows, near the bottom of the screen, each of the airlines one by one as it goes through them and processes then.   It takes a little bit of time to process them all.  When it has processed all of the airlines, a black window appears (like a DOS window) as it then performs the actual compile.  The window will be blank.  Wait patiently.  Eventually, the black window disappears and the word "finished" appears in the same place where the airlines were being shown during the processing phase.  Maybe you are just not noticing the processing phase and all the airlines names appearing on the Traffic Movements as it is going through them ... so you are mistakenly thinking it is doing nothing?

If no, then, hmmm, I'm sorry, I have no other suggestions other than perhaps you should contact Support and ask about your inability to do a compile.  See this link here: Obtaining Technical Support

Just for the record, I have used Traffic X on Vista and had no problems.  So that confirms that it does work on Vista.  I am now using it on Windows 7, again, no problems.
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzman4959 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 1:04am
No, I literally see no activity on the orange screen after I confirm replacing the Trafficx.bgl file. I was looking for some kind of messages or progress bar or something. I'll check with Support. Thanks, anyway.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 1:06am
Cool.  Support should get your sorted.
Chuck Morse View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck Morse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 2:07am
Just for the heck of it, let me propose an alternative way to replace the "merican" aircraft.  You have already installed all of the WOAI American aircraft.   WOAI provides flightplans that utilize those aircraft (and are more realistic than the TrafficX ones) so why not use those.  The problem with the WOAI flightplans are that they are compiled in FS9 format, not FSX.   You can recompile the WOAI flightplans using AI Flight Planner into FSX format.  Then the only thing you would need to do is remove all of the "merican" flightplans from TrafficX.  It this approach interests you, take a look at the recent thread entitled "TrafficX and WOAI" where I have described the process of recompiling the WOAI flightplans.  BTW, this was the very first thing I did after installing TrafficX and seeing those Merican aircraft.
Chuck Morse
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzman4959 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2010 at 8:05pm
Chuck, I took your advice and I am VERY happy with the results. Thanks, man!!
Chuck Morse View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck Morse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 4:05am
I am glad it worked for you.  It is not an approach that would work for everyone, but if you are willing to take the extra steps you end up with a much more realistic environment.  I continue to add WOAI packages to my AI environment and as long as I remember to erase the FS9 format traffic file (I forgot recently) things work great.
Chuck Morse
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic