This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your Council Paid to host a Nuclear Dump!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your Council Paid to host a Nuclear Dump!
    Posted: 13 Jun 2008 at 8:52am

Quote The government is inviting communities in the UK to volunteer to host radioactive waste from the country's half-century of nuclear power.

Local authorities are urged to consult widely before coming forward, and may win financial support.

Something tells me the general public will have something to say about that.

Quote Two years ago, the Committee on Radioactive Waste Management (CoRWM) recommended deep geological storage for the waste now languishing at more than 30 sites around the UK, including power stations, research laboratories, and military facilities.

CoRWM recommended that communities should be invited to volunteer as hosts, a model that worked effectively in Finland; and the government has already indicated its agreement with that principle several times.

Given the concerns people have for radioactive waste, I would imagine there would be serious opposition to any local government decision to host such a site.

Quote The community finally chosen to host the waste would gain economically through the creation of new jobs, but could also receive funds from the government - which opponents of the scheme characterise as "bribery".
Which of course it is bribery.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2008 at 1:09pm
Dambuster View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dambuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2008 at 4:38pm
Will they also assume higher healthcare costs? Someone will have to pay for the higher rate of cancer, right?
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2008 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by Dambuster Dambuster wrote:

Will they also assume higher healthcare costs? Someone will have to pay for the higher rate of cancer, right?

I don't think they are asking if they can dump it in someone's back garden. They would contain it I'm sure.

Still, I certainly wouldn't want it anywhere near my house, regardless of how well contained they have it.
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2008 at 4:47pm
We're struggling with trying ot have a decent refuge collection without the council having to spend money on looking after a nuclear dump! I really wouldn't trust them with THAT job!

You can bet it will go to the lowest bidder who will cut corners saving on costs.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2008 at 4:51pm
Quote You can bet it will go to the lowest bidder who will cut corners saving on costs.

Mmmm, well I will give the government a tiny bit of credit(shocking, I know). I believe no decision will be made without plenty of experts advising them. I really can't see nuclear refuge being 'dumped' willy nilly across the country.
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2008 at 6:37pm

It certainly won't be willy nilly, nuclear waste sites have to be suitable and fulfill very stringent criteria and they may well be safe, however...

I do think it's another dodgy decision by the government. They seem to have forgotten that we live in a democracy. Imagine the uproar if a local authority announced to the community that they intended to do this. There would be petitions and demonstrations galore. And I seriously doubt it would do much for the councilor’s chances of reelection.

Protests by borough residents would make it impossible. In my authority a single mobile phone mast causes uproar, what would the response be to this?

In reality of course, any sites would be in the countryside, I guess once more the poor welsh farmers will have a battle on their hands.

This happens in France apparently. But in France they have far more reactors and the population used to them. The strength of feeling there is minuscule compared to here.
When sites for waste disposal have been suggested before, the response has been extreme, I see the same scenario transpiring in this case.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic