This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xbox vs PS3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmr100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2010 at 4:05pm
On Amazon.co.uk I'm chosing between the Elite+Forza 3 or the package that comes with Final Fantasy 13 (which I'll sell, I'm not a FF guy!!), this cable thing to do with HD, and £10 off a selected game (RDR!!). Any idea which one I should go for??
Marmite View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marmite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2010 at 11:46pm
Personally I'd go with Forza over FF13

Are you getting the VGA cable to play in HD on a PC monitor? (since you said none of your TV's are HD ready)

@Ross - The PS3 Blu-ray player is pretty awesome, for awhile it was considered the best due to it's performance/price, but now you can get cheaper standalones.
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2010 at 7:19am
Forza would be the best bet - it's very good, and £10 off RDR is nice too.

The PS3 is still the only upgradeable blu-ray player available and as they've still not implemented the full standard any of the cheap players aren't upgradeable and you don't get internet access with those so you can miss out on some of the live/linked content. But if you just want to watch the disc you can get players for £100 or better now.
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2010 at 7:26am
Amazon are usually cheapest - see:

http://www.xbox360monster.com/cheap-xbox-360-elite-deals

You don't need the 250gb HD is you're on a budget, the 120gb is perfectly fine.
AirHauler Developer
Dc-10 nutter View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dc-10 nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2010 at 7:38am
I would go with Slopey on this one, just by following his link I would get the 120GB elite with the game package, don't forget the hard drive is really easy to remove as it is only on the side of your 360 so if you need a new HDD then they are really easy to remove. 

Also your profile and games will be stored on your hard drive so all you have to do if you wish is take your HDD to your mates and then you can still play your saved games on your hard drive and profile even at your mates.  I find this especially useful when going to my cousins, achievements? yes please!
up,up,up into the cruise, down,down,down into Toulouse

dmr100 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmr100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2010 at 8:35am
@Marmite The second package is actually cheaper over all without Forza, and still cheaper if I bought Forza seperately! I've done the maths Tongue
And in terms of the cable, it comes free with the package, it wasn't really a consideration, but could be useful in the future! But how do you play with a PC monitor??

Is Xbox live easy to get set up with? If you buy the Gold membership on Amazon do you get a code or something?

Dom
Guests View Drop Down
Passengers
Passengers
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2010 at 9:41am
I think you get 1 month gold membership free when you buy  the xbox 360
Dc-10 nutter View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dc-10 nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2010 at 10:02am
Xbox live is a breeze to set up but just takes a while as it asks you so many questions! you just follow the on screen instructions.  In terms of joining once you are in to the 360 under the second menu of my Xbox there is an option called join Xbox live, in the box with the 360 in it contains the xbox live box it looks just like any other game box and in there is a card with a code on the back under a rub to reveal strip, just enter that when prompted and as said earlier just follow the on screen instructions.

@piperman only the elite comes with the gold membership but mI can't remember how long it lasts for though.
up,up,up into the cruise, down,down,down into Toulouse

dmr100 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmr100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2010 at 12:20pm
ORDERED! Big%20smile
June 24th may as well be christmas day for me... .
Halo 3 will take longer to dispatch but hopefully that won't bring back the whole order.
Now... MUST.....REVISE!!

Dom
Marmite View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marmite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2010 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by dmr100 dmr100 wrote:

ORDERED! Big%20smileJune 24th may as well be christmas day for me... .Halo 3 will take longer to dispatch but hopefully that won't bring back the whole order.Now... MUST.....REVISE!!Dom
Noooooooooooooooooooo! Although Halo is an alright game, you'll find it probably has the highest proportion of insane players online

To play on a PC monitor you need to buy the Xbox VGA cable, there are cheaper 3rd party versions too, it's what I use to play on my 24" monitor @ 1080p rather than buying another TV
dmr100 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmr100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2010 at 5:17pm
It's ok Marmite, the Halo came free!! Tongue It was part of the package.
FSaddict View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2010 at 6:08pm
PC ftw?
dmr100 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmr100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2010 at 6:25pm
Not when it can't run the latest games Unhappy
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2010 at 7:22pm
No RDR on PC - epic fail.
AirHauler Developer
dmr100 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmr100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2010 at 7:43pm
I'd rather play on console; A. because it'll run better and B. because games like RDR are made for console, not PC. GTA IV on PC is no where near as good as GTA is on console.
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2010 at 8:58pm
Dunno, Im missing the mouse with RDR, but that's because I'm more accurate with it. I just cant get my head around halo or Fallout 3 on the console as they're true FPS but so far the RDR controls are working out pretty good - guess I just need to practice!
AirHauler Developer
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 1:36pm
Ashley has both a 360 and a PS3, we also have a second (slim) PS3 downstairs as the main DVD/Blueray player.

The 360 is definately louder than both old and certainly new (slim) style PS3 but that is mostly down to its optical drive. You can now install games to the hard drive (still require disc to play) which is better though, especially since the 360 has been plagued with hardware issues - upgraded the hd from the original 20GB to a 250GB drive a couple of weeks ago so he can install more stuff.

PS3 online is free whereas some 360 online requires gold membership which is £35/39 a year (can't remember exactly).

Hardware wise the PS3 strikes me as the better made equipment, plus it's a network capable blueray media centre, the 360 has equal media capabilities but obviously is standard dvd only. Game wise they seem fairly equal.

Future wise, the PS3 has the motion sensing controller stuff coming up and the 360 has Project Natal which looks at least the better tech'.

Depends on the games you want to play and with who... Neither has a clear advantage over the other.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic