This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Election 2010 Results Here

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Election 2010 Results Here
    Posted: 06 May 2010 at 10:32pm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/election2010/results/

* Hopes for a hung parliament! *

Best regards,
Vulcan.
AirbusLad View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AirbusLad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 11:29pm
i voted at 7AM this morning... fingers crossed it was woth it. 
MacBook Pro | 15inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display | Quad core Intel i7 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 | 512GB Solid State Drive

iPad 3 16GB Wi-Fi
iPad 2 16GB Wi-Fi
iPhone 4S
iPhone 3GS
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 12:02am
As regards voting irregularity...

If a polling station runs out of ballot papers, that imho is totally unacceptable.

If lists at the polling stations are not updated with current voters, that is totally unacceptable.

If a load of students turn up at 21:55 without polling cards (which slows down the process), then TOUGH. 10 PM is the deadline, if you're not in the building by then, you're stuffed. And if you're that bothered, you should have got there earlier (or voted by post or proxy).

As regards polling stations which have doors open past 10 PM, that is against the law, and totally unacceptable.
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 12:11am
And queuing for 2 hours and not being able to vote is also unacceptable.

With the exception of the piles of students turning up late doors, it sounds like there's a really mess in several constituencies.
AirHauler Developer
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 12:19am
Quote As regards polling stations which have doors open past 10 PM, that is against the law, and totally unacceptable.

Is it definitely illegal? There seems to be some uncertainty over this point. One polling station remained open until 2230.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 12:40am
The Electoral Commission has spoken:

* Those issued with a ballot paper MUST BE ALLOWED TO VOTE

* Those locked outside the polling station at 2200 or later CAN NOT VOTE

* Those locked inside the polling station WITHOUT a ballot paper CAN NOT VOTE

* Doors must be closed at 2200.

This is the law. Apparently if it is broken, the constituency in question will be subject to a petition. The Electroal Commission are calling for reforms to the way people can vote so this doesn't happen again.

It is looking like there may be a legal challenge.

In one constituency it is looking like there may be riots.

The Conservatives want change, change this:

* Proprtional representation

* New laws regulating voting (i.e. if you turn up to vote, you can). Even in Africa they kept the polling stations open for days longer than planned so everyone could vote! It is disgusting that we can not in the UK.

Where are the people who monitor elections? Why aren't they monitoring OURS?

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 1:43am

As much as I disagree with the system, and as much as I dislike these political parties, I have to admit this stuff is really interesting. Big%20smile

As long as I don't wake up tommorow (today?) to find Cameron is our PM I'm happy. Tongue 

EDIT: Cool, you can keep up with the results of your local area.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 1:59am
The markets are responding favorably to the current situation. They're reporting they just opened the Bond markets, and that Sterling is trading 1 cent up against the Dollar.

The Tories claimed that a hung parliament would mean bad things for the UK economically, and that the IMF would step in, but that is utter rubbish. Experts were saying a few days ago that the markets are pretty calm regarding either kind of outcome, either hung or Con.

Of course, we don't know what deals have been done or promised ahead of the election (or long ahead of the election...).

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 2:38am
Count faster!!!!! Evil%20Smile
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 6:06am
Nah - it is a pretty good bet that it will be a hung parliament.

Hopefully it will be a Labour/Lib Dem coalition. Keep the Tories away from power!!

Any budget cuts will have to be made by any party, and I doubt that the cuts, interest rate and tax rises to follow would be that different between the parties, but the Conservatives would do far more damage than that to the country!

Cameron must be rather annoyed at not getting into No. 10 and missing out on that tax free salary.

Assuming a Labour/Lib Dem coalition, and assuming they can make it work for more than a couple of months, I will bet that there will be a Tory leadership challenge and Cameron will be kicked out on a vote of no confidence. If he couldn't do it now, they wouldn't think he could do it later. He couldn't do it in 2005 either.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
M31 View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 7:12am
[Removed by moderator]

Wont make a jot of difference.

Are we done now?
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 9:24am
M31... Just a little word, the use of bad language isn't allowed according to the forum rules.

And if you keep interjecting and attempting to derail political discussion that is allowed in the ''Chat'' section, I don't think it will be looked upon favorably by the moderators.

Be a good lad please. Smile

The bottom line, is if you aren't interested in a topic, don't contribute, don't even click your mouse on the topic.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 9:29am
As long as I don't wake up tomorrow (today?) to find Cameron is our PM I'm happy. Tongue 

this one we agree on Odai. Big%20smile

Hopefully it will be a Labour/Lib Dem coalition. Keep the Tories away from power!!

I'm with you as well Pointy. Big%20smile

Any nonsense the conservatives come out with, regarding coalition government being a negative, is based on the failed coalition government in the seventies, but this is not the seventies, it's a country in a different political situation, the parties themselves are different in many ways.

Coalitions can work.
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 9:44am
Problem is, if Labour are back in and they don't cut spending, that'll damage the markets and the economy.

The UK is a good place to invest in at the moment. Not tied to the Euro with a much stronger economy than some of the other Eurozone countries. But if the deficit continues to rise at the current rate, investors will get spooked that down the line it could go Greek and will resort to the Dollar instead.

The £ is already down slightly on the uncertainty, but it's being eclipsed by the Greek tragedy. We'll know more next week once the market has had the weekend to digest the power brokering.

Another 5 years of that joker Broon - God help us!

Unite will be laughing all the way to the picket line. They'll prevent any serious cost cutting, and have massive leverage over the Labour coalition. The NI increase will hurt business for sure and there'll be more disparity between public and private sector job cuts.

Labour won't have the stomach to battle the Union and the populace won't take kindly to the strikes.

On the up side, if the Liberals go into coalition with Labour, and Labour perform as dire as usually, both of them will end up being despised which will give the Torys a clear run next time.
AirHauler Developer
M31 View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 9:46am

Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

M31... Just a little word, the use of bad language isn't allowed according to the forum rules.

Martin, Just a little word.

I wondered when you would use the magic wand, Martin (Bad language, you are having a laugh mate) to cast me down, you know we don't agree on here, and please don't try to deny it. I'll save you the bother mate ... I'll not post here any more, and that's a promise. You Win.

I've deleted my details, also all contact from Just Flight can now be considered SPAM.

Just another reason politics should be kept off boards like this, especially when Mods go into Bully Mode.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 10:10am
Bad language, you are having a laugh mate

References to male genitalia are definitely regarded as bad language.

you know we dont agree on here, and dont try to deny it.

You have every right to disagree with points made and opinions. Feel free. We welcome it.

But you don't have a right to object to forum members choice of topics and apply pressure for that topic to be curtailed. That sir is immature and selfish and not the behavior we would expect from a mature man.

I am absolutely sure every other member on the forum and all moderators would agree with me on that.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 11:15am
Mr Brown, whose party has 247 seats so far, has returned to Downing Street with aides and may turn to Nick Clegg's Lib Dems, who have so far won 51 seats, to try to form a coalition government.

Well, hung it is, with the LIb Dems not doing anywhere near as well as expected.

As for poll station issues, with some queuing for hours and not getting to vote...

My wife used to be a presiding officer at the poll stations, and many times she has come home and told me how busy it was, and not enough of them to handle all the votes. So despite the extra people the councils employed to do it, no surprise really given the big turnout.

Quote Senior Labour figures have said that under the rules of Britain's constitution, the sitting prime minister in a hung parliament makes the first attempt at forming a ruling coalition.

VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 11:35am
Nick Clegg has said that the Conservatives must demonstrate that they can rule in the interest of the country, and that they will consider working with them.

The bonus is that the Conservatives will be forced to rule in the interest of the country and not the party, and not just make a statement to that effect.

We need to wait and see, and that could be a few days.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 11:42am
It'll be interesting. I'd be perfectly happy with a Con minority supported by the Dems, or a Con/Dem coalition, so that's quite nice.

Big up to Cleggy for not flip-flopping as usual and trotting off to No 10 for a chat, but there's no love lost between him and Gordon.

Maybe if the Prince of Darkness knives Brown for Millibland Snr they might get to the table?

I'm surprised the Dems haven't just gone for Labour coalition to get their foot in the door but Clegg doesn't appear to be stupid.

I did hear an interesting piece on Radio 4 this morning - the Dems have a choice between being a pressure group or a serious political party. If they support from the sides, they stay as a pressure group, if they form a coalition they're trying to become a serious contender.

Given the internal structure of the Dems, I wonder what the party membership would prefer.

All very interesting, but it'll take a while for anything to happen methinks.
AirHauler Developer
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 11:56am
The Conservatives are showing their true colors already!

The in-fighting has already begun, the blame-game has started amongst Conservative politicians over the election, and the Conservatives have said that they will **NOT** entertain political reform as part of any deal with the Lib Dems.

They are also talking about a voting system of Alternative Vote, not Proportional Representation.

It is rubbish that PR creates "weak governments" (according to the Conservatives). The Conservatives don't like it as they don't get absolute power.

We must have PR. The Conservatives are already breaking any hint that they want to move away from "the old politics".

No surprises here so far.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic