This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Election 2010 Results Here

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 4:00pm
Quote The furthest-left and the furthest-right parties are never going to be able to work together on any sort of a lasting basis. Apples and oranges.

Actually, I've found apples and oranges taste very good together.

I'll show myself out.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by Slopey Slopey wrote:

Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

Whoever gets into power the Unions have already said they'll run the country into the ground (further).

Links?

No specific link - it's common knowledge in industry. We have several thousand contract staff involved in refineries, construction, pharmachem, and white collar staff and we're aware of a groundswell of Unionist action. So much so we're getting out of contracts where it'll be problematic.

Can you elaborate without naming names as to how this might happen?

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 5:51pm
Not without getting into trouble most likely. But there are groundswells of support in the healthcare, transport and education industries.

When the cost cutting starts, they'll object, and that means withdrawing labor. Many of the other unions are being lined up in sympathy.

Also, there's an election/leadership contest coming for Unite.

Anyone seen Tony Woodley since the Unite strike of BA was completely in-effectual? No? What a surprise. He was raining fire and brimstone on BA regarding strikes which didn't work. He now has to "vanish" and let the BASSA people take the blame for BA while he works towards becoming leader of Unite.

Currently, there's more than one leader of Unite, and they can't even stand to be in the same room as each other - that's the mentality.
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
roachy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 6:04pm
So then... to all you people who voted Lib Dem...
Did your party twist the knife around when they stabbed you in the back with it?
Luke Roach
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 6:39pm
[quote=Slopey]Suit yourself.[quote]

Indeed, everything in the world doesn't happen on the Internet, but rather a lot does, and if such a union conspiracy was a reality, I would expect there to be something about it on the Internet.

Therefore, as you can't provide any evidence whatsoever, I'll just regard it as... ''something you said.'' Smile

You are indeed, a man of  mystery Slopey, with your secret sources and James Bond lifestyle. Big%20smile
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by roachy roachy wrote:

So then... to all you people who voted Lib Dem...
Did your party twist the knife around when they stabbed you in the back with it?

No idea what you mean Luke, no deal has yet been formalized, no details of a possible deal released. So not sure how you can make that comment.

If the Lib Dem's and Conservatives do form a full coalition, which according to recent reports seems likely, then it will be the only option available, that is if you want some kind of a government to run this country.

Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 7:38pm
Quote If the Lib Dem's and Conservatives do form a full coalition, which according to recent reports seems likely, then it will be the only option available, that is if you want some kind of a government to run this country.

It's not the only option, a minority Tory government would also be an option.

It's the preferable option, especially if it has a fixed term agreed.
AirHauler Developer
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 7:50pm
Quote especially if it has a fixed term agreed.

They're talking 3-4 years according to reports on the radio.

Best regards,
Vulcan
Marmite View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marmite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 7:53pm
Doesn't seem overly democratic that the fate of the UK lies in the hands of the smallest of the 3 mainstream parties
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 8:54pm
Job done. Happy New Prime Minister day!!!

Now they just have to get the coalition past the Lib Dem Exec Council/Party.
AirHauler Developer
CaptCosslett View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptCosslett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Slopey Slopey wrote:

Job done. Happy New Prime Minister day!!!

Now they just have to get the coalition past the Lib Dem Exec Council/Party.

I agree, Happy New Prime Minister Day!!! Yey YeyBig%20smile

Yes, I think it will get past the Lib Dem Exec Council, no backing out now!
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 9:28am

Mr Cameron, 43, was installed as PM on a dramatic day that saw Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg announced as his deputy.

Four other Lib Dems will take cabinet posts in what is the first coalition government in the UK for 70 years.

Mr Cameron vowed to set aside party differences and Mr Clegg urged doubting Lib Dem voters to "keep faith with us".

The coalition is the first time the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats have had a power-sharing deal at Westminster and the first coalition in the UK of any type since the Second World War.

I suppose there is a slim chance that Nick Clegg can talk some sense into Cameron, as he's his deputy. But more likely Cameron's arrogance will reign, and the coalition will fail, pronto.

Clegg is deputy PM, so subordinate, in other words Cameron is boss and Clegg does as he's told.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 9:30am

·         There will be a "significant acceleration" of efforts to reduce the budget deficit - including £6bn of spending reductions this year. An emergency Budget will take place within 50 days

·          Plans for five-year, fixed-term parliaments, meaning the next election would not take place until May 2015

·         The Lib Dems have agreed to drop plans for a "mansion tax" on properties costing more than £2m, while the Conservatives have ditched their pledge to raise the inheritance tax threshold to £1m

·         The new administration will srubbish part of Labour's planned rise in National Insurance and will work towards raising income tax thresholds for lower earners

·          A pledge to have a referendum on any further transfer of powers to the EU and a commitment from the Lib Dems not to adopt the euro for the lifetime of the next Parliament

·          The Lib Dems have agreed to Tory proposals for a cap on non-EU migration

·          The Conseratives will recognise marriage in the tax system, but Lib Dems will abstain in Commons vote

·          The Lib Dems will drop opposition to a replacement for Britain's Trident nuclear missiles but the programme will be scrutinised for value for money

·           There will be a referendum on moving to the Alternative Vote system and enhanced "pupil premium" for deprived children as Lib Dems demanded

767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 4:40pm
Watched the press conference earlier on BBC One and i must say i was impressed. Cameron and Clegg spoke and answered questions equally together, Cameron didnt take all the limelight or only let Clegg speak when he found a question a struggle to answer. They both had equal time to speak and there was no sense of hostility between the two.

suppose there is a slim chance that Nick Clegg can talk some sense into Cameron, as he's his deputy. But more likely Cameron's arrogance will reign, and the coalition will fail, pronto.

Clegg is deputy PM, so subordinate, in other words Cameron is boss and Clegg does as he's told.

To be honest i think it may work, if not i still think it may go past a year.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 6:08pm
Quote Watched the press conference earlier on BBC One and i must say i was impressed. Cameron and Clegg spoke and answered questions equally together, Cameron didn't take all the limelight or only let Clegg speak when he found a question a struggle to answer. They both had equal time to speak and there was no sense of hostility between the two.

Oh yes, well of course, they are hardly likely to be anything else than bosom buddies at the moment.

Lets see if you are saying that in 12 months time. Clegg is not the PM. The PM will ultimately call the shots, Clegg will be annoyed,  his Liberal Democrat colleges around the cabinet table will support him, and the whole coalition will be a farce.

Or, they will get on swimmingly, Cameron isn't as arrogant as I thought, he will set aside party politics for the sake of the country, he and Clegg will fall in love, and the cow will jump over the moon.

To be honest i think it may work, if not i still think it may go past a year.

A year yes, maybe. Who knows, most political commentators will be very dubious I would have thought though. Just picture the goings on in the commons, and the back stabbing and egos that are always involved in politics. Liberal Democrat, party members will no doubt be irritated, as the Conservatives settle in and start pushing ''their'' policies more agresively. At which time, the antagonism between them will take it's toll.

roachy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 7:07pm

No idea what you mean Luke, no deal has yet been formalized, no details of a possible deal released. So not sure how you can make that comment.

If the Lib Dem's and Conservatives do form a full coalition, which according to recent reports seems likely, then it will be the only option available, that is if you want some kind of a government to run this country.

Ah how things change in just one day! For the first time in my life I've also contracted an eye infection this morning, so I'm blaming it on all the slime coming from No. 10 at the moment .

Like Slopey said, a Conservative minority government would also be an option and I think it'd work better than the current coalition - I don't like the idea of a Conservative government one bit but I think that there are going to be more inefficiencies than benefits from the current setup, especially as Clegg is now in a non-job (well, almost) and most of the cabinet are Tory.
Also, I'd think that there will be another election within two years, which would absolutely cripple the chances for Lib Dem and make it hard for Labour because both parties have naff all money to campaign with. The Tories on the other hand have Ashcroft's almost unlimited pot of (metaphoric) gold to dig into: all they need to do is campaign the hell out of all the marginal constituencies out there and they'll win by default. As well as that, because they'll have only been in for such a short term before this next election is called I'd be very surprised if any blue constituencies turn: the government won't have been in long enough to cause any discontent from their misguided economic and/or social policies.
Luke Roach
roachy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 7:10pm

[Clegg is deputy PM, so subordinate, in other words Cameron is boss and Clegg does as he's told.

In all seriousness the deputy PM does pretty much nothing apart from the two weeks or so when the real PM is on holiday. But Clegg has been so quick to jump into bed with the Tories something tells me all he really wants is a title and to pretend he has some sort of power - rather than wanting to try and really give the country a fresh start.
Luke Roach
roachy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 7:11pm

Oh yes, well of course, they are hardly likely to be anything else than bosom buddies at the moment.

Lets see if you are saying that in 12 months time. Clegg is not the PM. The PM will ultimately call the shots, Clegg will be annoyed,  his Liberal Democrat colleges around the cabinet table will support him, and the whole coalition will be a farce.
 A year yes, maybe. Who knows, most political commentators will be very dubious I would have thought though. Just picture the goings on in the commons, and the back stabbing and egos that are always involved in politics. Liberal Democrat, party members will no doubt be irritated, as the Conservatives settle in and start pushing ''their'' policies more agresively. At which time, the antagonism between them will take it's toll.

What's the difference between the Tory coalition and IKEA?

IKEA can made half decent cabinets .
Luke Roach
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2010 at 8:58am
Like Slopey said, a Conservative minority government would also be an option and I think it'd work better than the current coalition

Seriously doubt that Luke. I am dubious that the coalition will last, as Liberal and Conservative ideology is often diametrically opposed... however, a Conservative only option would have been untenable. They wouldn't have been able to pass any law, without a big enough majority.

agree with much of the rest of your post. And a damn fine joke. Thumbs%20Up
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2010 at 9:03am
Originally posted by roachy roachy wrote:

[Clegg is deputy PM, so subordinate, in other words Cameron is boss and Clegg does as he's told.

In all seriousness the deputy PM does pretty much nothing apart from the two weeks or so when the real PM is on holiday. But Clegg has been so quick to jump into bed with the Tories something tells me all he really wants is a title and to pretend he has some sort of power - rather than wanting to try and really give the country a fresh start.

Yep, it does seem to smack of... ''good grief lads, for the first time in many decades we have a chance of a semblance of power, grab it quick while we can.''

On the other hand, they had little choice.

The Conseravitve only option would have been a disater, as they didn't have a big enough majority to form an effective government, and labour [according to senior sorces in the party] seemed not to be interested in a deal from the begging of the negotiations.

I'm sure Gordon was, but others in his party, senior negotiator,s weren't. Hence, it was destined to fail. Leaving Lib Dem only one option remaining, if the country was to have an effective government at all.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic