This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for an i7 Rig

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for an i7 Rig
    Posted: 06 May 2010 at 12:49pm
I'm on the lookout for an i7 setup. I haven't been following components all that close since my last build.

I know there was another thread about the i7 930, and how its a small refresh of the i7 920, and has a slightly better OC. But when I can pick up a i7 920 D0 for £158.61, it makes me think is the i7 930 really worth another £70?

Next question then is the motherboard. I've been looking at Gigabyte's GA-X58A-UD3R.

Any advice or thoughts would be much appreciated. Smile

Matt.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 1:14pm
If there is that much difference now, and you are happy with a 3.8-4.2GHz overclock on air, and you are short of dosh, then the 920 DO would be the answer. I'm very, very pleased with mine.

I went for the Asus P6T, not the SE or Deluxe. I didn't need the features of the Deluxe, and my P6T handles a 4.2 overclock with ease. Very easy to overclock I've found.

for cooler, I went for the Noctua, Nh-D14, quite frankly a superb cooler. I'm sure you've seen the photos i posted, if not I can post them again. He's a real big boy, but fits in my Lian Li P50 easily.

The only thing with the Noctua, is that if you're using Dominator's, or any RAM with big heat sinks, they may not fit beneath. However, with the Dominator's, you can remove the top edge of the heat sink which just screws on. To be honest i doubt the little strip at the top does much anyway.

Or, alternatively, the Noctua fans can be moved up slightly to accommodate the big RAM sinks.

Normal size RAM fits easy.

I have all my overclock settings fine tuned now, running fast and cool. I'll send them to you for reference when you're ready.

You have the paste sorted via our PM's, and I would recommend you use it. Great stuff.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 1:28pm
If you decide to go for the Noctua, [it is the best currently] don't worry about the weight. It's not an issue in the least, the bracket supplied is excellent, theres no sag or strain on the motherboard at all.
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 1:34pm

Quote If there is that much difference now, and you are happy with a 3.8-4.2GHz overclock on air, and you are short of dish, then the 920 DO would be the answer.

Yes that's the sort of overclock I would be looking for. Don't want to spend out £70 more just for having a slightly higher OC.

I've seen your Noctua. It is huge. Cooler wise I've been looking at your Noctua and the Corsair CWCH50-1, I think Odai's got that one hasn't he?

Matt.
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 1:54pm
Quote The only thing with the Noctua, is that if you're using Dominator's, or any RAM with big heat sinks, they may not fit beneath. However, with the Dominator's, you can remove the top edge of the heat sink which just screws on. To be honest i doubt the little strip at the top does much anyway.

RAM wise I've been looking at the Patriot Viper Extreme;

Although I've also been looking though Corsair's XMS3 range, they don't have the tall heat sink.

Quote I have all my overclock settings fine tuned now, running fast and cool. I'll send them to you for reference when you're ready.

Thanks for that!

Quote You have the paste sorted via our PM's, and I would recommend you use it. Great stuff.

I do, received it yesterday. I was thinking of trying it out on my E6850, but thought I'd leave it for the i7.

Matt.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 1:57pm
No, it's Slopey with the H50. Not as cool as the Noctua, but does give you more space inside your enclosure if needed. He came to the conclusion it was noisy with the Corsair fans i believe. 

If I had to buy again, I'd go right out and buy another Noctua. Smile Build quality is first rate.
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 2:02pm
My current PSU is Corsair's TX-750W, so I'll be keeping that for the new build, my HDD's are fine, and so are my optical drives.

I had one of my HD4870's pop last week, and Sapphire don't want to know about RMA. So I'm down to one HD4870 at the moment, which will have to last. Strange thing is games seem to be faster now without the second HD4870.

I'll be on the lookout for a new case, as my old motherboard, CPU and RAM will be put downstaris with the case.

Matt.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 2:03pm
On the noctua site, they give you the dimensions so you can see if your chosen RAM fits.

How much clearance for RAM or chipset coolers does the NH-D14 provide?
The NH-D14 provides 44mm clearance for near-socket components:

Vibration%20Compensators%20Installation

Can I use Corair Dominator RAM with the NH-D14?
The NH-D14 is a large cooler that extends over the RAM slots on most mainboards. While DDR2 Corsair Dominator don't fit underneath the cooler, DDR3 Corsair Dominator do fit when the removable top heatsink is taken off as shown below. Please also note that the NF-P12 fan can be moved upwards or taken off in order to improve RAM compatibility as shown here.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 2:04pm
Any ideas on cases Matt?
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

No, it's Slopey with the H50. Not as cool as the Noctua, but does give you more space inside your enclosure if needed. He came to the conclusion it was noisy with the Corsair fans i believe. 

If I had to buy again, I'd go right out and buy another Noctua. Smile Build quality is first rate.

The Noctua it is then, never knew the Noctua was cooler. Prices are both on par anyway.

Matt.
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 2:15pm

Any ideas on cases Matt?

I've been looking at the Antec 1200, I like the idea of the removable filters and Aria have it at £113 at the moment, lowest I've seen it.

Although the LED's put me off. When I'm watching something and sitting back from the monitor, an illuminated case is pretty annoying. I have to put a sheet over my current case when I'm watching a film at night.

Matt.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 2:17pm
Eight degrees cooler.

TEST RESULTS (link to Screenshots):
Corsair H50
OCCT max temps: 76, 73, 72, 68
LinX max temps: 80, 77, 74, 72

Noctua NH-D14
OCCT max temps: 68, 66, 63, 62
LinX max temps: 72, 71, 67, 66

Summary:

The Corsair H50's hottest temp was 80'C while the Noctua NH-D14's hottest temp was 72'C. In all of my stress testing (Intel Burn Test, OCCT, LinX and Prime95) my LinX temps are always the highest, therefore I think that it is the best to point out while testing. Furthermore, the Corsair H-50 is a solid cooler and definitely a space saver, but it did not provide results as good as the Noctua NH-D14.

So...

There you have it...the Noctua NH-D14 is our winner!!

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Matt N Matt N wrote:

Any ideas on cases Matt?

I've been looking at the Antec 1200, I like the idea of the removable filters and Aria have it at £113 at the moment, lowest I've seen it.

Although the LED's put me off. When I'm watching something and sitting back from the monitor, an illuminated case is pretty annoying. I have to put a sheet over my current case when I'm watching a film at night.

Matt.

Antec is a great case!

If you don't need such a huge case... you know my opinion of the Lian Li p50, the best case I've owned.

Or Magic Man's Haf is a great case if you can handle the looks.
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 2:40pm

That seals it. Noctua it is.

From that test I've worked it out to be a 7.1'C difference between the two. Big%20smile

Matt.
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 2:48pm
Quote If you don't need such a huge case... you know my opinion of the Lian Li p50, the best case I've owned.

I'll Youtube it, and have a look.

Quote Or Magic Man's Haf is a great case if you can handle the looks.

I watched a Youtube review of the HAF932 on Youtube yesterday. With its red glow in front, it reminds me of one of those enclosed boiler fires. It has easy access to HDD's as well which is handy.

I'm all for different when it comes to cases. Another I've been looking at is the Antec Skeleton, only down side is you can't fit overly large CPU coolers in there, because of the top fan.

Matt.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 2:48pm
Big%20smile I love your precision.

The Noctua does fit in the twelve hundred, no problem.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 2:57pm
Antec Skeleton, only down side is you can't fit overly large CPU coolers in there, because of the top fan.

''In there'', you mean on there, it's wide open. Big%20smile

I was blown away by the P50, build quality is the best, all aluminum, very lite, no rattles, very posh. Two whopping 140 fans on top, one 120 at the front [can fit another] one 120 at rear. Posh gentle touch on button, illuminated. Cable, management is a treat.

Black brushed aluminum finish.

Detachable panels you see, are all aluminum, not plastic.

Sorry if I'm over enthusiastic, not trying to sway you to make the same choices as me. The Antec 1200 is top notch by all accounts, but I love the Lian Li.

And yes it is really shiny. Big%20smile

The detached front grills you see, all come with dust filters fitted. All I've had to do up to now is vac the front of the case, the dust collects outside and only a bit gets inside.

Since these were taken, I've fitted a Corsair 850 watt PSU, quite big but fits in fine.

Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 3:30pm
Quote ''In there'', you mean on there, it's wide open. Big%20smile

"On" then. .

It was the quirkiness that made me look into it. But I also hate the dust, so its a no. Unless I put a mosquito net over the top.

Just looked at a few Youtube reviews of your Lian Li, seems like a pretty nice case. I like the no LED part, there's no windows, so I can have the left side facing the wall, and there's dust filters.

Just out of interest, in the reviews they put the PSU in facing down. Which way does the PSU normally face in a bottom loading case?

Matt.
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 3:56pm
Just to chip in on the cooler issue. The Noctua is better however I've swapped out the fans on the H50, in a push/pull config and it's pretty good now. Less than 80C under load. I need to swap out a few case fans for ultrasilent ones, but all in all it works good. It's also in a generic coolermaster case - I should really swap it out for something with better venting.

Virtually silent, and leaves *loads* of space in the case.

It's never gone above 56C when running FSX or X3:TC. That's about all I'm using it for at the moment.
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 4:18pm
Just out of interest, in the reviews they put the PSU in facing down. Which way does the PSU normally face in a bottom loading case?

It can go either way.

I was fussy, a bit paranoid, and didn't want to trust the vents and filter underneath the PSU to provide enough air for my PSU. Although I'm sure it's designed fit for purpose, and everyone else goes for the down position without issue.

Although the legs aren't that big, so the gap underneath the case would be blocked if you had it on a carpet, especially with a deep pile.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic