This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for an i7 Rig

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 9:09am
Maximum temperature was 68 'C, with Turbo Mode, that was at 3.34GHz. I haven't tried it with HT off.

Turbo off

Speedstep on

Hyperthreading off.

At 4GHz
Idle: 37
Intel burn test on max: 63

HT on adds about 9-10 degrees don't forget. So with HT off I would expect you to be getting about 58.

Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 9:24am
I've switch turbo and HT off, so I'll have a look.

I just reset the BIOS, 6GB is back. Last night I wiggled the sticks and got 6GB back.

Matt.
Originally Posted by MartinW

I use mine for spare knickers when I'm traveling.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 9:24am
Originally posted by Matt N Matt N wrote:

Ah, I'll have a look. If I touch the sticks it will read all 6GB though.

This link is making me think it could be to do with the NH-D14.

Matt.

I would disagree with their theory. I have come across this with other coolers and with other boards.

I see no way the base plate could short. I don't see any contact.

If it were related to the cooler, then a simple setting of the memory timings wouldn't have fixed it.

Go into your bios and set the memory timings manually. As soon as I did this the issue vanished and has never returned. reseting the memory divider also may have fixed it.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 9:27am
I just reset the BIOS, 6GB is back. Last night I wiggled the stick and got the 6GB back.

Sounds more like the bios requires a kick up the bum. Bios issue me thinks. In fact I read something to that effect on the Asus site i think.

If a cooler issue was suspected, it would be easy to fit a stock cooler as a test and know for sure.

The chap on that site is suggesting the issue is with Asus boards, as the cooler worked fine on other boards.

Pure speculation on their part.

Motherbord RAM detection issue I'd say, that was my theory when it happend to me after i first built.

Update to the latest bios, set the ram as i say, and it should be fine.
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 9:36am

I got 55'C peek. Thats at 3.2GHz.

I'll wait for the 2GB to disappear again, then I'll put the stock cooler on and see what happens.

Still waiting on a BIOS update at the moment. I've got V0108, the only BIOS.

Matt.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 9:39am
It may not disappear now. Big%20smile Mine didn't.

Whether it affects the amount of ram used in games is the issue. It may be just a ram reporting quirk.
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 9:50am
CPU-Z will always read 6GB. I don't know why the BIOS reads 6GB if I touch the sticks, I see detective work in the coming days. Big%20smile

Just got an e-mail from Sapphire, my GPU is in Hamburg, on its way home. I hope Sapphire made a mistake and packaged a HD5870 instead. .

Matt.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 9:58am
Because nudging the ram forces the bios to re detect the ram is my amateur theory.

Don't worry, as I say, I had the same thing happen to me. It settled down, never had the issue since.

To be honest, I think it's only the ram reported, not the ram that will be called into play when you're in action. But what you've done should fix it in my experience, it did for me.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 10:05am
CPU-Z will always read 6GB.

And that suggests to me, that if it were related to a motherboard defect, as they said on that site, then CPUZ would have the problem as well. it doesn't, hence my opinion that it's a bios issue.

If it was related to extra rubber washers being required on Asus boards CPUZ would have issues too.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 11:31am
Quote Since the newer Intel chips moved the memory controller from the motherboard to the cpu, this issue is quite common.  Changing BIOS settings (as shown in the thread I linked to) and even re-seating the cpu sometimes helps.

Many theories, many solutions. With stock cooler and different boards too.

Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 12:23pm
It would have to be a pretty precise shorting issue if it was the cooler backplate - don't tend to get things that isolated if a big chunk of metal is causing a short... things just fail to work at all or burn out...

As Martin says, seems more like just a bios issue. As long as Windows sees the RAM then shouldn't really matter - may just be a glitch in the BIOS code reading RAM amounts when certain settings are in place. The BIOS just handles the initial first few seconds of boot - it's basic in nature as well as name. Windows does its own thing afterwards anyway.

Now, who's dissing the looks of my HAF...?
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 12:45pm
It would have to be a pretty precise shorting issue if it was the cooler backplate - don't tend to get things that isolated if a big chunk of metal is causing a short... things just fail to work at all or burn out...

Yes I agree Magic. There are plenty of x58 board users with water cooling that are getting it too. And those with the intel stock cooler too.

Windows fails to detect the ram after boot with this issue. However CPUz detects it with no problems.

There are loads of theories.  It could well be the same symptom, caused by a number of different causes.

I love it. Hug
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

Windows fails to detect the ram after boot with this issue. However CPUz detects it with no problems.

Ah right, read it wrong, thought Windows was still seeing it okay. Perhaps CPUz merely reads the spd data on a RAM module and doesn't verify that the RAM as a whole is readable/writeable. Interesting issue.

I love it. Hug
Glad to hear it. I lifted mine into the attic last week - working my way up the ladder whilst holding the case and all inside in two hands brought home really how solid (and heavy) it is...Confused 
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 3:14pm
I booted up about an hour ago, only 4GB showing again. Just booted up again now, 6GB is back.

I've set my RAM to 1600MHz, 8-8-8-24, 1.64V. Giving it plenty of headroom. Surley there must be a BIOS due anytime now. I remember my P5Q PRO having non-stop BIOS releases for the first six months. This board is still on its first release, 25/03/2010. 

Matt.

Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 3:26pm
I've had a look through those links Martin, I'll have a tweek about in the BIOS again. I might send ASUS an e-mail as well, about the next BIOS release ETA.

Matt.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 6:11pm
I booted up about an hour ago, only 4GB showing again. Just booted up again now, 6GB is back.

Classic symptoms.

I can't remember exactly, but it did something similar to me for a while, then after tinkering all was well.

VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 8:30pm
Quote http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=469282

That link is full of junk. "You might have a short". What???!!!

Which cooler are we talking about - CPU? The motherboard you have is irrelevent as long as it physically fits and doesn't foul any components (i.e. touches them).

If the BIOS only reports 4Gb you may need an update if it never shows the full 6Gb. Be aware also that some BIOSes have a 32-bit/64-bit OS selection that dictates the maximum memory visible. Are you sure this isn't being changed whilst the system is running?

After that, load the memory up with stuff and just gently wiggle them in the slots and see if anything crashes. If it does it is a good sign you have a faulty motherboard. Lead free soldier is not as good as the older stuff and doesn't always melt properly and leaves bad joints. It is possible that under load the system warms up, the board expands and the joint just disconnects, making the memory inaccessible.

The next thing to do after that is to swap the memory in the slots and see if it disappears, then try each stick on its own for a week to see if it is the memory itself.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 8:39pm
Quote If the BIOS only reports 4Gb you may need an update if it never shows the full 6Gb.

No, normally from a 'Cold' boot, i.e. I've left the system off (but pluged in) for a couple of hours, the first boot the BIOS will only say 4GB. If I reset the BIOS it will say 6GB, or if I re-boot, sometimes 6GB also appears.

Quote It is possible that under load the system warms up, the board expands and the joint just disconnects, making the memory inaccessible.

I was wondering that, but the other way around, the system cools and only 4GB is read.

Matt.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 8:46pm
 The motherboard you have is irrelevent as long as it physically fits and doesn't foul any components

This is a common issue Vulcan. I had the identical problem. fixed with a simple bios adjustment. It's extremely doubtful he has any faulty components. Lots of Asus boards do it with the i7. Different solutions work for different people. Some swap RAM, some change bios settings, some set voltages to manual rather than auto, sometimes a bios update works etc, etc. It's a well know x58 issue.

A common problem since the memory controller was situated on the CPU.

If it's due to hardware fault, then there are loads of them out there, all with the same fault, including mine, that disappeared with a simple bios adjustment. Unlikely, unless there's a huge batch of faulty boards out there, all different models.
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 6:19am
Just done a cold boot, left it off all night and switched on now. Still got 6GB, so that rules out the motherboard expanding/contracting.

Maybe setting the timings to 10-10-10-30 has fixed it now.

Matt.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
  Share Topic