This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for an i7 Rig

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2010 at 3:26pm
That sounds alright Matt, although I wouldn't go any further if you're only getting a couple of clock increases (I'm assuming you mean about 2 MHz on the base clock) for every increase in vcore.

What are the other voltages set to? CPU PLL and VTT (I think Asus calls this one "QPI/DRAM CORE") most importantly.

As you have overclocked, I'd take care to set all the voltages manually, rather than leaving them on auto. Even the southbridge/northbridge voltages (one is IOH, one is ICH, I can never remember which).
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2010 at 12:42am
I'm still tweeking at the moment. Yes, for every minute bump of VCore, I can get the BCLK up two. At the moment I'm dropping the VCore and QPI/DRAM, and everything is still stable. Before I had the multiplier set to 24, changing it to 25 has given me the chance to lower the volts.

CPU PLL is set to 1.80. 

I have VCore set to 1.256, and QPI/DRAM set to 1.275.

I've got the IOH and ICH off of auto and set to minimum.

CPU temperatures are peeking at 62'C.

Matt.
Originally Posted by MartinW

I use mine for spare knickers when I'm traveling.
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 2:29pm
Just a small update, stuck a couple of cold cathode tubes in the case. Its glowing now. .

Matt.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 2:58pm
Shocked That's probably radioactive now.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's creating a rotating black hole, and thus an Einstein-Rossen Bridge at the centre.

And if aliens hold open the wormhole with negative mass, they could create a permanent passageway into our dimension.

They could take over the world, and it's all your fault. Angry
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 7:25pm
Man... I really need to sort out my system. Looks like a mess inside. Ouch 

Meh, I'll get plenty of cathodes/UV stuff for my next rebuild. Big%20smile 
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

Shocked That's probably radioactive now.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's creating a rotating black hole, and thus an Einstein-Rossen Bridge at the centre.

And if aliens hold open the wormhole with negative mass, they could create a permanent passageway into our dimension.

They could take over the world, and it's all your fault. Angry

Sssshhhhhhhh!!!

I told you not to tell the world! Now I'll be head hunted by some secret government company.

I went with blue, what with the stock fans being blue. I might go for an amber/red glow, or a yellow/green theme if I change the stock fans sometime.

Or an all red theme, in December for Christmas. Very festive. Big%20smile

I still haven't tried FSX yet, I'm still installing. Such a beast of a program with its addons.

Matt.

Noneyo Getit View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noneyo Getit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 10:58pm
You wouldn't notice the strain/damage to the board, not with your eyes anyway. Damage can still occur though.

Rubbish, if  distortion is so small you can't se it with your eyes, then it's not distorted enough to cause any structural damage.

Ok I am just a passerby but this is such an egregiously incorrect statement that I have to comment.

I am a system builder who also happens to be a physics student researcher.  I have designed circuit boards I ordered using CAD software and later had to test, soldered my own electronics and had to do a tremendous amount of work with high-speed analog and digital electronics (similar to what you see on modern day consumer desktops... which of course includes the enthusiast market as a subcategory, given we are still not talking about server hardware which operates on difference standards).

The damage you don't see is PRECISELY the kind of damage that strain causes.  I have built enough systems over 15 years to know that as electronics get more and more delicate and/or fast there is more sensitivity to even the slightest torque or shear/compression force exerted on a PCB surface or through-hole component.  The manufacturers do their best to make the boards durable but if you were to pull a cable wrong you can (if you are lucky) damage a port and render it inoperable.  If you are not lucky you can damage and lose the entire Motherboard.  Mounting things directly onto the PCB through screw holes takes things to yet another level of pain.  I once knew a guy who fixed a video card that was damaged by strain by putting it in a toaster oven as a makeshift solder reflow oven.  It worked because it was likely the strain cracked a surface mount connection that would normally have to be individually resoldered.

SO... in short oh yes damage of all kinds can occur without visible distortion
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 11:14pm
5+ year old thread??

Quite the necro! 
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 9:56am
Yes indeed, haven't seen a topic this old resurfacing in quite a while.

The majority of the contributors to this thread have long since left the forum.

But to recap, it was suggested that the weight of the Noctua NH-D14 would damage the motherboard.

Well just to get back up to speed, it's 5 years since this thread was created, and even longer since Noctua first introduced us to the NH-D14... and still there are no examples of damaged motherboards as a result of the weight. The Noctua mounting system is designed to prevent such a scenario.

And now we have the NH-D15, just as safe, more effective.

Quote I have built enough systems over 15 years to know that as electronics get more and more delicate and/or fast there is more sensitivity to even the slightest torque or shear/compression force exerted on a PCB surface or through-hole component.

Actually, what we are referring to here is motherboards, and in practice we see them holding up very well actually. They get pretty rough treatment from time to time, hefty air coolers hung off them, connectors inserted and removed repeatedly, and they aren't failing in droves.

So yes, torque or sheer/compression can be an issue, but you are overstating your case.

Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 8:36pm
Ah must be fate. LOL

I've been thinking of doing a new build for a few weeks now. I pop on here out of the blue, and my previous build top of the list from 5 years ago. Big smile

Martin - That massive Noctua cooler you recommended is still going strong, with the original motherboard. The only thing which has gone wrong was my GTX580. Just waiting on the RMA now.

I may start a new thread in the coming weeks, just like the old days. 

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 9:37am
Hi Matt, great to hear from you again. It's like the old days.

I'll be building a mega PC in a month or so.

Re my old D14, that too is still cooling beautifully. Noctua have superseded it with two new coolers though. The D15 has better RAM compatibility. They've cut out chunks from the bottom of the fins, it also cools 4 degrees lower.

They've also released the NH-D15S. The "S" variant has even better RAM compatibility and those with small form factor motherboards no longer have issues with the top PCIe slot.

The interesting thing about the "S", is that it has only one fan. The fan's a 150mm but in a 140mm mounting. And guess what... one fan is perfectly adequate, in fact if you remove the fan on the end of your D14 you'll find it makes only 2 degrees difference. That's right, all this time we've been running with two fans on our D14's unnecessarily. I realised this quite a while ago but given how quiet the cooler is, no need to remove it. Makes sense if you think about it, the air velocity is the same with two fans so cooling hardly changes. The slight reduction in temp's purely as a result of slightly better static pressure with two fans.

My new build will be based on the new Intel Skylake platform. Not sure of motherboard yet but will probably be the Asus Z170 Deluxe. Skylake brings lots of advances, M.2 SSD support on-board, just a case of slotting an M.2 drive in place. DDR4 RAM, higher density and much faster. USB 3.1. BCLK overclocking makes a comeback. The chips clock nicely up to max 4.8. And of course Skylake brings with it significant IMC improvements. Compared to your old 920, expect 50% frame rate improvement in FSX.

Asus new 5 way optimisation makes auto overclocking now a sensible option. Not really necessary to manually overclock in the UEFI. Just a case of letting it do it's thing. You can now limit the overclock too, just a case of selecting the max overclock you're comfortable with or temp, or voltage.

Intel stopped soldering the die to the IHS with Ivybridge of course, and that hasn't changed with Skylake. Solder is more thermally efficient. Many enthusiasts de-lidded their 3770K's, and that procedure continues to be popular with Skylake. many are reporting up to 20 degrees cooler with de-lidding.

Start a new thread when you are ready Matt. Lots to talk about and info to share.

Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 7:46pm
Ah yes the D15. I read about it somewhere, being a pretty good successor to the D14.

I'm looking at Skylake this time around too. DDR4 doesn't seem too bad at the moment either. DDR3 was horrific when it first came out!

I'll be looking at down sizing too. Thinking of a Mini ITX build this time, although looking around the Z170 MATX seems in short supply at the moment.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 9:56am
Coincidentally, about the same time I build mine, I'll be building a Mini ITX for my daughter.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
  Share Topic