This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for an i7 Rig

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 9:32am
Yep, that's what I said originally. When I set mine manually, the issue was gone.

Why did you set them differently to the manufacturers specs the first time?

Or do you mean the bios was still set to auto? Thus, whatever the auto setting set.

Hopefully all will be well now.
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 9:43am

Yes, the BIOS auto set it to 8-8-8-24, at 1600MHz, so I took it off of auto and manually put that in, that still failing to show 6GB I changed to 10-10-10-30, what it says on the RAM.

Matt.
Originally Posted by MartinW

I use mine for spare knickers when I'm traveling.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 9:59am
I have a feeling it may be fine now. Smile

Effectively the bios, and you, were trying to tighten the timings.  

Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 10:14am
Hopefully it will.

Just had my RMA'd HD4870 arrive, which is very weird because according to DPD's tracking code, its somewhere in the middle of Sweden. .

Matt.

AirbusLad View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AirbusLad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 1:04pm
DPD are good at that, Afew weeks ago i checked on DPD to track my new Blackberry phone and it said it was in South London, 10 Minutes later and the phone turned up at my house in Brighton   
MacBook Pro | 15inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display | Quad core Intel i7 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 | 512GB Solid State Drive

iPad 3 16GB Wi-Fi
iPad 2 16GB Wi-Fi
iPhone 4S
iPhone 3GS
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 1:23pm
Big%20smile I think they need their tracking system checked.

Matt.

Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 1:24pm
Just tried a slight overclock, 3.72GHz, passed IntelBurn and temperatures peeked at 58'C.
That was with HT and Turbo off.

Matt.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 3:18pm
Nice, do some research though Matt. Before diving in too much. Make sure you are aware of maximum permissible voltages etc. And which settings to change.

Things like disabling CPU Spread Spectrum and PCIe Spread Spectrum, and choices like enabling Load Line Calibration.

With my 920 at 4GHz, I haven't had to increase voltages much at all to be honest. have gradually edged them back lately.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 1:24am
Quote Maybe setting the timings to 10-10-10-30 has fixed it now.

NEVER EXCEED MEMORY TIMINGS!!!!!

All these tweaks are dangerous to your data.

Set everything to default (no overclocks etc..) and see if the thing runs properly.

If you start overclocking, all bets are off.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 1:41am
The suggestion that you can determine maximum voltages through looking at values posted on the internet is not true - every chip is different. I would suggest sticking below 1.375V, and in addition to that, try to gauge when you are approaching your chip's limits. Once you start hitting the point where you need to increase the voltage setting every time you increase the base clock, then you are pushing it too far.

In addition, 5 passes of linpack, and using just linpack, is not enough for OC testing. You should run at least 25 passes of IBT, and also at least 1 hour in OCCT CPU stress test (large data set, don't use the integrated linpack test, use the other one). I've had instances of being fully stable under 30+ passes of IBT, but fail miserably within 2 min of OCCT...

Regarding the RAM issue, it sounds like a hardware fault. I would strongly reccommend getting it RMA'ed. I had similar issues, and eventually had to exchange the memory. Run a barebones test, find out what is causing the problem.

In addition, which RAM kit have you purchased? Those timings look extremely high. I've never seen any kits above CAS 9.

EDIT: Have you used memtest to test the RAM modules? You should be using it anyway when overclocking.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 1:53am
I'd stick with the design spec and not move. If you want faster, buy a Cray, or cough up for time on Jaguar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spread_spectrum

Quote Things like disabling CPU Spread Spectrum and PCIe Spread Spectrum

You may not want to disable that.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 9:29am
The suggestion that you can determine maximum voltages through looking at values posted on the Internet is not true

I was referring to maximum permitted voltages according to Intel.  Being aware of Intel's advice in regard to their CPU's maximum voltages is a good idea. 

Knowing where Intel regard the danger zone to be is a good idea. Going in blind is not.

I would suggest sticking below 1.375V

I agree, and 1.375 is the maximum voltage recomended by Intel - 0.800V-1.375V to be precise.

1.24 CPU voltage works great for me at 4GHz, [your mileage may vary]

Regarding the RAM issue, it sounds like a hardware fault.

Doubtfull, a common issue. A plethora of P6 boards and some others do this. Mine did it as well. Matt's ram is now fine.

Yes he may. You've never overclocked an i7 in your life Vulcan. If Odai said it, or another who had actually gained some OC experience, I would consider their words and so would Matt. No offense. Wink

Set everything to default (no overclocks etc..) and see if the thing runs properly.

Things are running properly. Matt's RAM is now fine.

Those timings look extremely high. I've never seen any kits above CAS 9.

His ram is OCZ gold 2000MHz DDR3, his timings are correct for this ram.

Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by VulcanB2 VulcanB2 wrote:

Quote Things like disabling CPU Spread Spectrum and PCIe Spread Spectrum

Umm, why exactly?
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 3:19pm
I was referring to maximum permitted voltages according to Intel.  Being aware of Intel's advice in regard to their CPU's maximum voltages is a good idea. 

Knowing where Intel regard the danger zone to be is a good idea. Going in blind is not.

Those guidlines go right out of the window when it comes to overclocking. Strictly speaking, you shouldn't really pay much attention to them. I can go way over that limit, and my overclocked CPU could be fine. My overclocked CPU could also fry long before that setting.

And, from what I remember, Intel did not publish that number as a statement of what the maximum voltage you can apple across your CPU's core is, but the number is a statistical limit of the range of VID's on normal CPU's that come out of the manufacturing process. I believe the range is 0.8V-1.375V. So they're saying all normal CPU's should be able to run at stock settings using these voltage settings. It's a bell curve (normal population), and the number of CPU's requiring those extreme limits of voltage to run at stock is very low, and the number increases as you get towards the middle of the range. You'd be very unlucky to get a CPU that needs 1.375V for your system to boot at stock. Big%20smile But if it did happen, you have no right to claim it is faulty. Interestingly, I'm actually quite lucky - my CPU only needs 0.9V at stock so it's close to the lower limit.

So yeah, it's not like Intel is saying "go above 1.375V and you CPU will go 'poof'", it's the normal range for teh VID.

Let me clarify what I said. The reason I mentioned 1.375V is that I've seen no reports whatsoever of degradation when using settings below this, so I'd reccommend staying below. That being said, I have seen users applying 1.45V vcore and their i7's are absolutely fine long-term. Things will get a little toasty though.

The only way to gauge how far you can push your chip is using that very rough method I mentioned. Once you've found your max, just back off a couple of notches and you're good to go - just make sure your temps don't exceed the low 80's under linpack.

Quote Doubtfull, a common issue. A plethora of P6 boards and some others do this. Mine did it as well. Matt's ram is now fine.

I'd still run the tests I mentioned. My first Asus R2E board had an issue involving the CPU power connector. It was also very common (Asus even had to manufacture a new revision of board) - doesn't mean it's not faulty.

If you've overclocked your RAM too far, you'll be getting BSOD's and instability issues. Half your RAM not being detected sounds very strange.

I haven't read all the details of the problem, but if there is a fault, and it only appears when the RAM is overclocked, then nothing can be done either way unfortunately. If it works fine under standard settings, you'll have to put up with it.

Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 3:26pm
In case you're interested, here's some light bedtime reading:

Tongue
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 3:35pm
Sleepy

Sorry Odai, I'm not interested. I know where this is leading... again!

Not interested in another  5 page argument, over who said what, how to interpret Intel, I meant this, you said that, undoubtedly leading to, ''you don't understand'' and, ''you aren't capable of understanding'', ''i know about statistics'' etc, etc..

It's tiresome! As I said... ''being aware is a good idea'', as a guide. Sorry to offend, but I sometimes think you have things to address .

I will  not polute Matt's topic again, and engage in another contest with you, to prove who's the forums overclocking expert and all round genius. Like earlier in this thread in regard to cooler weight.

The issue mentioned with Matt's board as a result of setting incorrect timings  is very well known. Matt's ram is now running fine. It's not an issue. And Matt is inteligent enough to detrmine his own voltages.

P.S. Your next response will be... ''Huh, what are you talking about?'' Big%20smile

Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 3:42pm
I'm at 4GHz at the moment, after looking through my Motherboard manual, Martin's guide and a few forums. Temperatures are good, peeking at 62'C, using 1.262V. I haven't used LinPack, I've downloaded it so I'll have a read through.

Matt.

Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 7:18pm
That is absolutely astonishing... If this is the kind of response you get for helping out what is the point?

I was simply clarifying some points I made for Matt's benefit... I don't know what your problem is. I've made countless posts on countless forums to advise people on overclocking, I've never ever seen a response like yours. I think you need to analyse yourself before you start needlessly provoking arguments and accusing others. Crazy....

I think it's pretty clear what I mean and what these numbers being posted mean. I couldn't have explained it better.

Quote I'm at 4GHz at the moment, after looking through my Motherboard manual, Martin's guide and a few forums. Temperatures are good, peeking at 62'C, using 1.262V. I haven't used LinPack, I've downloaded it so I'll have a read through.

Matt.

Those numbers look fine, how much of a clock increase were you getting from every notch of voltage?

Regarding linpack, sorry if I wasn't clear - IBT is based on the linpack code. Tongue So the program you have there is fine, just be sure to run 25 tests at max memory usage and 32 threads (don't use auto, there's a bug with that feature). You should also download OCCT and use the CPU stress tool in that (with large data set enabled). There are two stress tests present, one is the OCCT one and one is the linpack one. Use the OCCT one. The idea behind this is that the two use seperate mechanisms to stress the CPU and using both programs would therefore increase your chances of finding a problem - and fixing it. Tongue

Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 8:55pm
I get a couple of clock increase for a notch of voltage. Raising the Multiplier to x25 has given me some leverage to raise the clock with out so much voltage.

I did think LinPack looked a bit complex, I was preparing myself to go through the .pdf manual. .

I'll give the system a good stress test tomorrow.

Matt.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2010 at 9:53am
 I've never ever seen a response like yours. I think you need to analyse yourself before you start needlessly provoking arguments and accusing others. Crazy....

No attempt to provoke an argument... merely an attempt to explain why I intend to not respond to your points, which will ineveiatbly lead to one. [Like the cooler debate within this thread] You see I anticipated that you would jump in and find a minor point I had made to latch on to.

Actually, you have seen a response like this. Many times before, from a number of members and with some less than flattering comments headed your way. And with a fair share of locked posts under your belt.  It's on past events that people tend to be considered.

We welcome your contribution, when it assists. However, if you do a search and look at  the history of where competitive debates with you often lead, you'll understand the reluctance to engage and attempt to bypass that eventuality.

However, if I have misinterpreted your comments as anything other than an attempt at assistance, on this occasion, then I apologize.

Now move on please.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
  Share Topic