This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What the . . . . .

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What the . . . . .
    Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 7:36pm
Cluck ?!

I have been sitting at my desk for about an hour, of which I have spent about 45 mins surfing the net, then turning around to my side desk and doing some work.  Nothing strange here. . . .

For the last 15/20 mins or so I just concentrated on my work and left the computer idle on the desktop, no programs at all were open however my speakers were on.

All of a sudden, my speakers bellowed out the unmistakeable sound of CB chatter, which consisted of two transmissions between two men. I couldn't quite make out what they were saying as although it was definitely speech, it sounded foreign, but it was deffinately done between two radios no question about it.

In all my many years of using a computer this has NEVER happened before.  I understand that speakers pick up transmissions of data from things such as a mobile phone, but I would not have thought it would pick up radio conversation and play it so clearly.

Any suggestions ?

Just to make clear - no programs at all were open, I'm not hallucinating, and nothing I had been doing before was remotely related to anything that would involve CB chatter.  And sorry if this is pretty common, its just never happened to me .

Thanks,
Chris
Generic forum signature
ConcordeGuy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConcordeGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 10:28pm
If I was you, I'd change my underwear. I would be kacking myself
Rides a 1999 Kawasaki ZZR600
737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by ConcordeGuy ConcordeGuy wrote:

If I was you, I'd change my underwear. I would be kacking myself

. I cant work out whether thats sarcasm or . . . .well what I should really be doing!
Generic forum signature
737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 12:48am
Just done some googleing, cant find an answer there either. 
Generic forum signature
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 1:16am

Have you been at the diesel oil again?

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 1:25am
Originally posted by Odai Odai wrote:

Have you been at the diesel oil again?

Odai I kid you not. . .

The house was nice and quiet, no other programs open, then bam. . . .

Surely of all people you must have at least one suggestion ?
Generic forum signature
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 2:04am
I was kidding. Wink 

I don't know much about these things, but it sounds like it was simply a very high transmitter somewhere, and the wiring in your set-up will have picked up the signal. Just like the aerial on a remote control car picks up the signal from the nearby remote control transmitter. You just need a length of conductive material and something to make the electrons oscillate.

In this case, the radio waves were of such a frequency they made the electrons in the wiring of your speakers oscillate in a way to make the speakers create the sound you heard.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Flightboy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flightboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 9:06am
Or it was the dead talking . i seen white noise!

Flightboy
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 10:47am
This does happen occasionally.

Old analogue TV sets would sometimes do this.

Don't worry, you aren't going mad.

Unusual, but does happen. Smile
737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 1:01pm
Ahh right, thanks guys Big%20smile
Generic forum signature
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 2:20pm
Sure it wasn't an amateur radio enthustiast? They have powerful transmitters that can do this.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 2:27pm
Could just be CB traffic. It's not unusual for signals to bounce around under the ionosphere, and if you've got a reasonable pair of "boots" (illegal amplifier) on the back of your rig, you can cut through analogue TV and all sorts.
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic