This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYou Made me fat!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Direct Link To This Post Topic: You Made me fat!
    Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 10:11am

Well worth weatching lads.

The title is misleading. They aren't saying it's not our responsibility, for stuffing our faces, but you would be surprised by the tricks the food industry get up to. tricks that ultimately help lead to nationwide obesity.

Take Morison's for example, bottom of the healthy supermarket surveys three times running. Yes they do stock lots of healthy food, but when it comes to the offers that encourage us to buy more, they are all on junk food.

The presenter went round Morrison's and bought all of the buy one get one free offers. She ended up with a trolley jam packed with junk food, and just one carrier, half full with healthy foods. They straegically position the junk food ''BOGOF'' offers at the ends of the isles, including the fruit and veg isles.

Then there's sugar. In particular misleading food labeling. On The labels the manufacturers add together the refined sugar RDA and the natural sugar RDA from fruit. They base their percentage on this, providing an inaccurate estimate of the percentage of sugar in comparison to the RDA. the presenter found that her sugar intake was double the RDA, due to this misleading labeling.

Apparently, a while back, the price of sugar plummeted, the food manufacturers used this to their advantage. It was super cheap, so they took advantage of this by stuffing all of their products with as much sugar as possible, even foods that didn't require it. Essentially, using unhealthy levels of sugar as ''bulking agents'' and as a cheap way to improve texture.

The food companies are ''astonishingly powerful companies''.

SamR View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer
Chargin' ma lazers!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 10:21am
Its just going to make more obese people point fingers elsewhere and give them an excuse to not face the fact they merely need to...

EAT LESS

EXERCISE MORE

Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 10:33am
And don't buy processed food! Just make it yourself from fresh ingredients , it's really not hard to do
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 10:35am
That's very simplistic Sam.

You should watch the video.

We all know calories in should equal calories out. But when food manufactures, mega powerful companies, use under handed tactics to sell us junk food, capitalizing on a human beings natural taste for fat and sugar, as a result of traits programed into out genes by evolution, then it hardly helps does it.

Yes we are responsively for what we put in our mouth, but we must be realistic. The urge to eat fat and sugar is very very powerful, and the food industry uses this to make billions at the expense of out health.

Younger members of the forum with faster metabolisms will have they same opinions as you no doubt, but older members of the forum, with slower metabolisms will appreciate how hard it is to stay at the correct BMI. Couple that with food industry con tricks and whats the result???

Why do you think the only food manufacturers that sponsor the Olympics are Cadburys, burger king and MacDonald's? Because they do so in an attempt to make us associate their product with a healthy lifestyle. What could be more deceitful?
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 10:39am
EAT LESS

Of course, but try doing that when you are 50 with a slower metabolism. Yes, possible, but far harder.

EXERCISE MORE

A lot, lot, lot more, as a result of the huge amount of empty, unnecessary calories the food industry packs into our food.
We have a responsibility for obesity... but so do the food industry that lace our foods with hidden sugars and fats and basically con us into consuming the stuff they hide within.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 10:44am
don't buy processed food! Just make it yourself from fresh ingredients

Good advice!

Many aren't aware of the junk in their foods though, even products that wouldn't normally be regarged as junk food.

We have a responsibility for what we eat for sure.

Govenmnet also has a responsibility to deal with the tactics of the food industry that compunds the obesity epidemic.

Trouble is, they are super powerful organisations.

This is one CT theory I subscribe to, simply because the crap thats in our food is there for everyone to see, and the tactics of the food industry are facts.
SamR View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer
Chargin' ma lazers!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 11:10am
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

That's very simplistic Sam.

You should watch the video.

I cant yet, Im working Disapprove

I'd rather jump to harsh and uninformed conclusions at this time in the morning Wink

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 11:17am
Big%20smile

Fair enough Sam. But know that when you're  ''exercising far more than you otherwise would be'' you will be doing so to burn of the extra sugar manufactures have put in your food to bulk it out.

Tim Lang professor at London City university: 

''There's something gone fundamentally wrong with our food system, our food policy, where unhealthy snacks, things that if you eat a lot of aren't going to do you any good, are cheap and everywhere.''

''There are three or four supermarkets that account for 70% of the food and drink sold in Britain. they have the food system in a vice like grip. Never has there been such power over the food system.
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 12:38pm

My metabolism is so slow, I think I must have been a tortoise in a previous life...

Doesn't help I suppose that I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid about 15 years or so ago, yet my last couple of blood tests have put me as 'okay' and so I don't get the thyroxin any more...

737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 1:20pm
Good article, I'm lucky enough to live off fresh and healthy produce thanks to good ol' mum.  (hence my perfect body Wink)
Generic forum signature
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 2:03pm
The model of having breakfast, then eating a large meal once a day in the evening is partially the problem. We are not generally built to do this, so what happens? People have junk food in between, then have large meals, then eat nothing. This has a massive impact on the body.

The lack of food between meals makes the body think there is a lack of food, so it goes into energy conservation mode - you store the excess energy as fat.

The snacking leads to over-eating, in part because later, when you have your large dinner, you have generally taken on more calories than you require, compounding the weight gain problem.

Lastly, most people are doing sedentry work, so they don't get as much excerise as they think.

It is best to eat little and often, and avoid huge meals once a day. This will prevent your body storing fat, and will help reduce hunger with an overall reduction in calorie intake.

It generally takes less food to power the body than people realize too. The best indicator to whether you're eating the right amount for YOU is your weight. If you are a healthy weight, aim to maintain it. If you are overweight, aim to reduce it. Forget all the junk you read about calorie intake etc.. - everyone is different and burns different amount of energy, so your intake will vary, too.

If you think of food as fuel, you're well on the way to getting it right. Don't consume more than you need.

Avoid crash diets or special foods for dieting - simply eat less, and eat more often, and you'll lose weight no probs.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
SamR View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer
Chargin' ma lazers!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 2:24pm
Goodpost Vulcan +1

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 2:41pm
Warning: This may shock many!

Pointy is talking sense, or at least some of it! Big%20smile

Nice one Pointy, I agree with you.

The eating habits you describe cause swings in blood sugar, which is bad news.

The topic was about the food industry's antics though, and how they manipulate us.

I thought that would have appealed to you. Big%20smile

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The lack of food between meals makes the body think there is a lack of food, so it goes into energy conservation mode - you store the excess energy as fat.

Wouldn't exactly agree with this bit though. The tendency for the body to enter ''starvation mode'' occurs after prolonged excessive calorie restriction, like fad diets, don't think it occurs on a daily basis.

Forget all the junk you read about calorie intake etc..

What junk in particular? Calories out must match calories in. Where the junk bit comes into it is the BMI recommendation. BMI is a bad measure of fat. Hydrostatic weighing is the only truly accurate measure. You can have a bodybuilder weighing loads more than average, and the BMI will tell him he's obese, despite the fact he has minimal body fat.

- everyone is different and burns different amount of energy, so your intake will vary, too.

Of course.  Smile Fidgety people burn loads of calories and tend to be lighter, lazy people   look like the size of a house because they never move. Immense, talented athletes with enormous muscles eat 5000 calories a day and are thin, becausee muscles burn calories even at rest..

Hip to weight ratio is a better and easier way easy estimate health risk.

Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 2:45pm
I'm going to print this thread off and have it framed
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 3:04pm
If you think of food as fuel, you're well on the way to getting it right. Don't consume more than you need.

In reality though, that's easier said than done, when food manufacturers behave the way they do and ''hide'' calories in food, in terms of sugar as bulking agents and stealthy fats. And when coupled with our desire for high calorie foods replete with fat and sugar.

As I said above, evolution designed us with a strong desire for fat and sugar, because they are high in energy. This trait kept us alive as we strolled around the African Savannah struggling to find food. And the strategy of the food manufacturers compounds the problem.

Avoid crash diets or special foods for dieting - simply eat less, and eat more often, and you'll lose weight no probs.

In theory yes, but that doesn't account for pychology. It also doesn't apply quite so easily when you are 50+ with a slower metabolism that young Pointy. As he will discover in a few decades.

So the ''no probs'' bit I would have an issue with. It aint that easy Pointy, as evidenced by the huge obesity epidemic in this counrty and the rest of the industrialised world.

Just blaming the obesity epidemic on diet and lack of exercise isn't enough. There's more to the equation than that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like magic, I too suffer form an under active thyroid, although unlike him I still take thyroxine. The thyroid gland controls metabolism, so not exactly what you want when
you're trying to control your weight.

SamR View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer
Chargin' ma lazers!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 4:02pm
This threads made me hungry.

737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by SamR SamR wrote:

This threads made me hungry.

+1

Who's up for Burger King? Big%20smile
Generic forum signature
ConcordeGuy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by 737Chris 737Chris wrote:

(hence my perfect body Wink)

...and I might just turn gay because of it!

I gym four times a week - I burn all the crap I eat all week.
Rides a 1999 Kawasaki ZZR600
Flightboy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by ConcordeGuy ConcordeGuy wrote:

Originally posted by 737Chris 737Chris wrote:

(hence my perfect body Wink)

...and I might just turn gay because of it!

I gym four times a week - I burn all the crap I eat all week.

Four Confused i can only just about manage to go three mornings a week! if i didnt i would be 20stone+ right now .

Flightboy
FSaddict View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 5:48pm

I'm so sorry i made you fat Martin. That is all..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic