This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Energy Saving & The Government

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Energy Saving & The Government
    Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 8:07pm
Well we have just installed our first energy saving light bulbs that aren't completely covered by a shade. . . . . .

I don't think I have ever seen a more sterile looking room in my life.
Our kitchen now looks awful, and I mean awful.

We have real oak cupboards and walls which are painted with a hint of cream, which all looked beautiful before we fitted these jokes, the light shining on it now makes the room look like a hospital with kitchen equipment in.
I've never seen my dad so pee'd off with the Government in all my life!.

Any suggestions guys ? Or will we have to live with it.
Generic forum signature
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 8:29pm
Quote Any suggestions guys ?

Stockpile "proper" light bulbs, you can still find them in some hardware shops. I HATE the new ones, and they're supposed to "warm up" really fast now - do they f***.
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 8:30pm
Quote I've never seen my dad so pee'd off with the Government in all my life!

Remember, it was our government in Brussels who came up with this one.

Anyone know the name of our president? Anyone? Anyone?
AirHauler Developer
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 8:47pm

Depends on which ones you get. Some can look very white, even bluey white whereas others are better and softer. Do you need to have a bair bulb as opposed to a shade?

The ones in the spots in our kitchen have a rubber like difuser on them - also keeps the bulb together if broken so the nasty stuff doesn't get out...

You also get used to them after a short while. We had to switch back to an old style to use in a dimmer lamp - suprising how dim and gloomy it seemed - switched it back to a ccfl and put up with it not dimming fully...
737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by Slopey Slopey wrote:

Quote Any suggestions guys ?

Stockpile "proper" light bulbs, you can still find them in some hardware shops. I HATE the new ones, and they're supposed to "warm up" really fast now - do they f***.

Hi Slopey,

Do you know of any hardware shops in particular? My dads hunted around and cant find any.
Generic forum signature
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 8:58pm
Nopes - it's highly geographically dependent - you need to find ye olde "Aladdins Cave" kind of places - what would be called a proper ironmonger before the likes of B&Q came along.

But smaller shops (and dare I say some of those less concerned with regulation and more concerned with profit - the kind of places you can buy Vodka at 5 in the morning for example) tend to be good hunting grounds.
AirHauler Developer
737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 9:07pm
Ah right, thanks Slopey Smile

@ Magic - Its not a completely bare bulb, it has a shade but the bottom is exposed, we cant have a fully enclosed one because not enough light gets out.

We'll hunt around for some "old skool" bulbs, if not we'll just hunt for some softer looking E.S. bulbs

Thanks
Generic forum signature
CaptCosslett View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptCosslett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 9:46pm
E.S bulbs do not save energy at all, in winter that is. The heat given off by those "old skool"
bulbs contribute to heating the house. But how often do we need to switch on the lights in summer? I am convinced that world is now decided by those who have no idea at all.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 9:54pm
Plenty left in Morison's lads, they still do them.

That's where i get mine from. Wink
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by CaptCosslett CaptCosslett wrote:

E.S bulbs do not save energy at all, in winter that is. The heat given off by those "old skool"
bulbs contribute to heating the house. But how often do we need to switch on the lights in summer? I am convinced that world is now decided by those who have no idea at all.

Actaully they do. Smile

The heat generated by your central heating system is generated more efficiently than the residual heat courtesy of your light bulbs.

I do agree though, the benefits are less than many think.
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 10:53pm
And the new bulbs have a horde of nasty chemicals inside - you can't just bin them, they have to be disposed of properly!

And they call this progress?
AirHauler Developer
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 11:11pm
Wasn't it just the 100W bulbs that were being phased out, or was it all traditional bulbs?

You can get tinted energy savers - they come in a range of "colors". Don't get the ones that are "white" or "bright" - they're definitely the kind that will make most things lose their color.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 11:36pm
I've never had any problems with them. Instant bright (warm) yellow light, miniture bulb, low energy, 10 year warranty, only down side is the odd fly which gets cooked in the middle.

We use halogens in the kitchen and bathroom, and I have a few in my bedroom ceiling as well. They seem pretty good, never had one blow yet, but they do get hot.

Matt.
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by VulcanB2 VulcanB2 wrote:

Wasn't it just the 100W bulbs that were being phased out, or was it all traditional bulbs?
Think it was just 100W this year, will be 75W next year followed by 60W then 40W... something along those lines.
Marmite View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marmite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 11:54pm
Herman Van Rompuy <- It's his fault, well it should be as he's El Presidente

Anybody used and got a verdict on LED lighting? Was thinking about getting a nice LED desk lamp.

Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 12:12am
Originally posted by Marmite Marmite wrote:

Anybody used and got a verdict on LED lighting? Was thinking about getting a nice LED desk lamp.

I got one of these from B&Q a couple of years ago;

The light it gives out is bare minimum so I rarely use it, comes in handy if you need to pee in the middle of the night though.

I use a lamp with one of these bulbs now;

Nice powerful focused light in a small desk lamp.

My sisters got an LED desk lamp as well, looks like a shower head, but it has the same lighting problem as my LED lamp. They don't seem to focus the light any where, its just a widespread glow.

Matt.
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 3:49pm
Quote I am convinced that world is now decided by those who have no idea at all.

I'd be careful if I were you when saying stuff like that, as in this case you are totally mistaken.

The efficiency of the processes used to give out heat in the house through a central heating system is much better than that of the processes used to power a light bulb.

If you want to dump 1000J of heat into your room, it would take a lot more energy overall to do that through a light bulb than through a house's heating system. Not to mention the obvious problem with power/the amount of time it would take.

When you want to heat your room, do you do so by switching on a light bulb?

I do agree though, the benefits are less than many think.

How so? 

Quote You can get tinted energy savers - they come in a range of "colors".

Exactly what I was thinking of, never knew they existed though.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 5:04pm
The efficiency of the processes used to give out heat in the house through a central heating system is much better than that of the processes used to power a light bulb.

Yes Odai, it's already been mentioned in this thread.

How so? 

Because during the winter months, your heating system, being thermostatically controlled, reduces it's output to a degree, compensating ''to a degree'', for the heat generated by a house full of light bulbs.

The general public aren't usually aware of this. All they are led to believe is that incandescent bulbs waste energy in terms of heat. And aren't aware that their heating systems cut back their output. Effectively they imagine waste heat from bulbs plus max heating system output.

However, as you mentioned, and as I mentioned before you, generating heat from light bulbs is very inefficient in comparison to heating systems, so any reduction in gas usage doesn't fully compensate for inefficient bulbs, thus they still offer eficiency.
CaptCosslett View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptCosslett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 5:21pm
We have to also take in to account the energy involved in the the production and disposal of ES bulbs. As for providing heat, yes of coarse a light bulb is not as efficient as CH, but it does also produce light and heat at same time. I think LED lighting is the way forward.
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 6:29pm
Quote Because during the winter months, your heating system, being thermostatically controlled, reduces it's output to a degree, compensating ''to a degree'', for the heat generated by a house full of light bulbs.

I thought you would say that. But how have you worked out the difference is actually significant enough to produce any difference in the output of the central heating (assuming it's thermostatically controlled)?

I'd have thought the amount of heat produced by an old style bulb is too small to be picked up by the CH system, creating an automatic increase in output. 
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic