This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CPU Cooler Headache

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CPU Cooler Headache
    Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 12:57am
This is "doing my nut in" because its the only part that is causing me real problems.

I know that the system is going to consist of:

Antec 1200
i7 920 (around 3.8)
HD5850 (I can now afford it, woo!)
6GB RAM (POSSIBLY Dominator)
P6T Deluxe mobo. (probably)

But I am really concerned with fitting in the Noctua NH-D14.  Does anybody think I would have serious problems getting this big boy in ?

Also - as an alternative I found this

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-008-TI&tool=3

Cheaper, same design more or less.  Any thoughts?

Thanks guys,
Chris

Generic forum signature
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 12:59pm
Why the issue?. I assume it should fit in an Antec1200 without any issue at all. Fitting it is pretty much the same for all, i.e. back plate etc.
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 1:01pm
Quote Any thoughts?

Yes. Go liquid cooling. Tongue

TBH, I'd hate to have anything close to that big/heavy in my system, hanging from/right above a significant amount of expensive hardware.

You could look up some reviews to see how that performs compared to others, but the weight seems to be just as much as the Noctua (1.08kg).
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 2:03pm
The performance of the Noctua ND-H14 is incredible.  Better than any pre-packaged water cooling unit, I know what you're saying about the weight, but Martin didnt need extra support.

@ Magic

Astonishingly despite the size of the Antec 1200, people are still talking about great difficulty fitting it in, so I was wondering if the other cooler I posted which is smaller would do the trick.
Generic forum signature
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 2:08pm
I'm looking at an i920, is that Corsair H50 thing any good?
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 2:31pm
But I am really concerned with fitting in the Noctua NH-D14.  Does anybody think I would have serious problems getting this big boy in ?

I read something on the net, regarding a system with the Noctua and an Antec 1200.

The critical measurement is the width of the case. The Antec 1200 is wider than mine so i would think it would fit Chris.

Fits in my Lian Li case perfectly, and it's not a huge case, its a mid sized case.

Martin didnt need extra support.

I was perfectly prepared to fabricate a bracket if required. However, as soon as I fitted it, it became apparent that Noctua had done a fine job of the mounting mechanism. It's firm, no sag, so I decided a support bracket wouldn't be needed.

I'm a fussy devil and I'm okay with the weight. I measured the sag, less than half a millimeter at the end of the cooler, so therefore, the sag at the base, would be so small  its impossible to measure.

Quote Is the high weight dangerous for the CPU or socket?
No. Noctua NH-U coolers possess an extremely reliable SecuFirm™ mounting system. Even transporting the pc with the cooler installed is entirely safe. Thanks to the screw connection with the backplate on the rear side of the motherboard, the exceedance of the weight recommendations by Intel and AMD common among high-end coolers is completely unobjectionable.

Noctua state the dimensions...

Quote How can I check whether my case is wide/high enough for the cooler?
In order to check whether the cooler isn’t too high for your case, please measure the distance from the motherboard tray to the side panel (tower cases) or top panel (desktop cases). If this distance is bigger than the height of the cooler + 15mm (mainboard spacers + mainboard + CPU), the height/width of your case should be sufficient.

Vibration%20Compensators%20Installation

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Slopey Slopey wrote:

I'm looking at an i920, is that Corsair H50 thing any good?

Noctua NHD-14 is best. the H50 cooling performance is in about 4th or fifth place. Still a competent cooler, but some have reported varying temperature results, and  a few reports of leaks.

The Noctua NHD-14 in my case shows...

Core temp, no overclocking yet, shows temps of 27-32 across the cores at idle.

Running Intel burn test,  51  degrees across the cores max. Thats about three to five degrees less than I've seen in reviews of the Noctua.

Thats with Innovative Coolings diamond paste. Yet to settle in.
737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 3:01pm
Thanks for the replies guys, I guess I can sleep easy Big%20smile

Generic forum signature
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 3:03pm

Go to the antec site and check the width of the case, compare with the dimensions I gave above, then you'll know for sure.

if it's any conciliation, i was intending to buy the 1200 and wasn't concerned about the size.

What I can tell you is that it's cooling great on my PC, yet to overclock. In fact about three degrees lower than the reviews I've seen, might be the diamond paste.
737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 3:19pm
A 1200

213mm (W) x 513mm (D)

Generic forum signature
737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 3:20pm
. . . which I THINK is smaller than the Lian Li case
Generic forum signature
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 3:34pm
My case is 210 wide. Smile

And I still have a gap between it and the side panel.
737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 3:38pm
Ahhh, must have been looking at the wrong case.  Cheers Martin.
Generic forum signature
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 9:16pm
HAF 932 is 230mm wide so no issues for me Big%20smile
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 12:57pm
Bloated like it's owner. Big%20smileThumbs%20Up
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 1:02pm
Wide boy!
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 1:12pm
. And not too attractive like the HAF.
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 9:31pm
...but strong as a tank, solid and reliable, tough and manly. Big%20smile Plenty of wind flow as well... Wacko
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 9:32pm
.Big%20smile

Bet Sharon is fond of the wind flow?
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 9:39pm

EmbarrassedNukeExclamationCensored

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic