This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plane and a conveyor belt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dale_tem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plane and a conveyor belt
    Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 10:59am
I was wondering if this 'problem' has been discussed before....

A plane is standing on an immensly large conveyor belt. The plane moves in one direction, while the conveyor moves in the opposite direction. This conveyor has a control system that tracks the plane speed and tunes the speed of the conveyor to be exactly the same (but in the opposite direction). Can the plane take off?

Apparently its quite confusing, and lots of airline pilots get confused.

If its been done before ignore me

Dale
dmr100 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmr100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 12:04pm
Ooh nice question. But no, even if it left the ground it'd just fall back down again. It'd have no momentum when it got in the air. I think.

Dom
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 12:30pm
It will take off without issue, the wheels spinning twice as fast as normal take off speed.
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 12:34pm
But if the conveyor tracks the wheel speed and matches it, the plane would remain stationary, so you'd never get any airspeed (beyond the wind at the conveyor), as it'd be stationary relevant to the airflow.

You need airflow over the wings to generate lift. No airflow, no lift.
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 12:36pm
Wouldn't the plane be standing still if it was on a conveyor belt doing exactly the same speed as the wheels but in the opposite direction? If so then no it wouldn't take off. No air would be flowing over the wings so no lift would be generated. If an airline pilot got confused by that then god help us all!
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 12:44pm
nope, it will take off without issue...

Think about the same thing with a car - there is a key difference.
Also, think about the same thing but an unpowered belt, like a rolling road...
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 12:59pm
So you're saying an aircraft will take off purely from the thrust in the engines without any air moving over the wings?
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 1:05pm
Magic - the aircraft is STATIONARY with respect to the air mass it is within. Unless it's a harrier, it's not going to move upwards.
AirHauler Developer
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 1:08pm
A car on this conveyor belt will be stationary because its wheels are powered. The wheels on an aircraft are not, they freewheel... Go from there.
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 1:10pm
Think about what happens if you are on a running machine holding a flag. You may look at the speedo and it tells you that you are running at 10MPH and your legs are moving at 10MPH. However, the flag will remain limp as no air is moving past it. An aircraft requires lift which is why it has wings(!) and has to hurtle down a runway at 100MPH in order to create the lift needed to get it off the ground. Just running the engines at 100% isn't enough to get it off the ground.  
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 1:13pm
Not the same thing, your legs are driving you in the opposite direction to the running machine. An aircrafts wheels do not do that.

Consider yourself on that running machine but wearing roller skates, you holding on the sides so that you are free wheeling. You are saying that you cannot pull yourself forward up the track...

The thrust of the aircraft will propel it along the moving conveyor belt, it's wheels rolling roughly twice as fast as if it was static. It will move therefore it will generate lift and take off...
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 1:19pm
But in the question it says that "his conveyor has a control system that tracks the plane speed and tunes the speed of the conveyor to be exactly the same (but in the opposite direction)" which I take to mean that it will change speed to match whatever speed the wheels are doing. So, on my roller skates I would try to speed up but when I pull myself forward the treadmill would increase speed to match the increase in the speed of my wheels and I wouldn't go anywhere. I would only move forward if the speed on the treadmill stayed the same, which isn't the case here.
If the question was if the treadmill was moving at a constant, fixed rate (say 100MPH) then it could be done as your speedo would say 200MPH when you were actually doing 100MPH yourself (or I could still pull myself along on my skates if I had a rail). But if the speed of the treadmill then increased to 200MPH to match the wheels you still wouldn't be moving?

FSaddict View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 1:22pm
I agree with magic man it will takeoff without issue, since the force moving the aircraft forward through the air is the engines and not the wheels moving forward is not an issue
The conveyer belt is there just to confuse and make you question.

That is assuming that there is no friction caused by the wheels.
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 1:29pm
But the aircraft is stationary, so there'll be no airflow with respect to the surrounding air, so how exactly does that work?

Quote You are saying that you cannot pull yourself forward up the track..

In a roller skates example, you can, as you are creating a differential in speed between yourself and the track, and as your speed exceeds it's speed however breifly, you'll move. That assumes the track doesn't adjust to you pulling.

However, with wings, there is no airflow over them. If you accelerate or travel faster than the track, you WILL get airflow, but if the track constantly matches the speed the aircraft is travelling, the aircraft will remain stationary at the same physical point, hence no airflow.

I'm amazed you guys aren't getting the fact that the aircraft is stationary on a treadmill.

Ask yourself this - if you run really fast on a treadmill, does the wind whistle past your ears???
AirHauler Developer
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by FSAddict FSAddict wrote:

I agree with magic man it will takeoff without issue, since the force moving the aircraft forward through the air is the engines and not the wheels moving forward is not an issue

That's just it - it's not moving through the Air - it's stationary. The wheels rotate at the same speed as the track, but the aircraft doesn't move - the wheels do, otherwise, it'd run off the end of the track wouldn't it.
AirHauler Developer
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 1:32pm
It's exactly the same principle as "would the aircraft take off with the engines at full thrust but the breaks on keeping the aircraft motionless". Of course it wouldn't!

Great question though!
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Slopey Slopey wrote:

But the aircraft is stationary,
But it cannot be kept stationary in this example since the wheels are not powered.

so there'll be no airflow with respect to the surrounding air, so how exactly does that work?

But it will move so there will be lift generated.

I'm amazed you guys aren't getting the fact that the aircraft is stationary on a treadmill.

I'm amazed a qualified pilot (I think you are aren't you) is thinking the aircraft will remain stationary...

Ask yourself this - if you run really fast on a treadmill, does the wind whistle past your ears???

Not the same thing. Again, your legs are powering you, same as with the wheels of a car on this conveyor belt. Aircraft are not pushed/pulled along the runway on driven wheels...

Originally posted by Slopey Slopey wrote:

it'd run off the end of the track wouldn't it.

No, since it's "immensley long"... 
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 1:40pm
Quote But it cannot be kept stationary in this example since the wheels are not powered.

But if it's on a treadmill, which matches the planes speed, as detailed in the question, the aircraft will stay stationary at one point.

If it doesn't and moves forwards or backwards, then the control system of the treadmill is defective compared with the description in the question.

Quote Not the same thing. Again, your legs are powering you, same as with the wheels of a car on this conveyor belt. Aircraft are not pushed/pulled along the runway on driven wheels...

But again, that doesn't matter if the control system of the treadmill is matching the aircraft's speed. That implies that the control system is set up in such a way to keep the aircraft at a fixed point on the treadmill.

If the control system is set up so that the aircraft is allowed to move, then the wording of the scenario is incorrect.
AirHauler Developer
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 1:41pm
Quote No, since it's "immensley long"...

Then fair enough, but you still need the aircraft to achieve sufficient airflow over the wings by moving forward, which implied that the control system is not sufficiently adjusting for the aircraft's motion.

So, the control system is broken. Or the question is worded incorrectly.
AirHauler Developer
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 1:43pm
Quote I'm amazed a qualified pilot (I think you are aren't you) is thinking the aircraft will remain stationary...

If I built a control system to match the objects speed, then it would remain stationary, otherwise, my control system doesn't work. And in that scenario, it wouldn't take off.
AirHauler Developer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic