This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So How's the Weather?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 12:16pm
Not snowing here anymore.  Didn't get nearly as bad this weekend as what was forecast.  Still a lot of snow and ice on the ground though.  Went in for my Maths exam this morning then came home.  I should technically be in school all this week because of a mix up the school made with the scheduling for study leave - it's after everyone's last exam!  But I have exams today, Wednesday and Friday.  If they think i'm going into school apart from the exams then frankly they can get stuffed!  I can revise much better when i'm at home as I can concentrate on what it is I need to revise.
Kind regards,
Tom
Hot_Charlie View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot_Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 3:06pm
Not good at all today on the roads. The little sprinkling of snow last night is quickly thawing in the +ve temperatures today. Lots of ice appearing tonight, one suspects.
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 3:22pm
Yeah on my way in this morning there were loads of car sliding around up the road towards my school.  A woman went to pull away and her wheels just span!  Another bloke went to turn round and got stuck in the middle of the road causing a huge queue!  I wouldn't drive out there at the moment. 
Kind regards,
Tom
In Kontrol View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote In Kontrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by twright twright wrote:

Yeah on my way in this morning there were loads of car sliding around up the road towards my school.  A woman went to pull away and her wheels just span!  Another bloke went to turn round and got stuck in the middle of the road causing a huge queue!  I wouldn't drive out there at the moment. 

One word.

Clueless.

Or is that two?
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 9:24pm
Well it's been snowing pretty heavy here in South Wales for best part of six hours or so now.

My bus home was cancelled, had to catch the train and then walk a couple of miles back past long queues of traffic to where my wife was waiting for me.

We smiled as we drove past rows of abandoned cars that couldn't make it up the hills to where we live. Gave a nod to a fellow 4x4 driver as he passed us and we left another car at the start of the hill behind us. Up into our road and it's eerily quiet and devoid of cars - all except ours, just a single line of tracks leading up into our close...Wink Would make a perfect billboard advert actually!

Ahh, the evil 4x4 - snow, what snow... Big%20smile
CaptCosslett View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptCosslett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 9:32pm
Ahh, the evil 4x4 - snow, what snow...

Do not be too confident with a 4 x 4, I know. I got a Discovery 3 stuckSmile
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 9:50pm
Yep, I know it's not a tractor but the fact that it can cope in the current conditions we are having around here where most 4x2's are having to be left abandoned a couple of hundred yards away gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling Big%20smile

And I bet you had to go a little out of your way to get a Disco3 stuck - very nice indeed, we've got it's smaller brother, a FL2.
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptCosslett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 10:01pm
Well, I was trying avoid some sheep. Snow hides ditches on the side of road, two tons of Disco3 sinks quickly. A local farmer pulled me out. Lost my manpride and learnt a lesson. Embarrassed
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 10:07pm

Ah, I see, not much that could have been done about that though. You could always get a powered winch and pull yourself out next time...Wink

At least you were able to get to that area in the first place though...
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptCosslett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 10:24pm
Here is a picture taken just before I got stuck,

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 9:23am
Forecast light snow here... we got a good few inches instead. They got that wrong. Big%20smile
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 9:37am
CaptCosslett, is that a grit box at the side of the road?
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 11:57am

We've had about 5 inches here, little bit more where the wind drifted it deeper.

All buses cancelled, schools closed, I'm home! - got a connection to work though so have to check emails every now and then and issues logged etc.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 12:36pm
We smiled as we drove past rows of abandoned cars that couldn't make it up the hills to where we live.

Shouldn't you have felt sorry for them rather than smiling smugly, you nasty man. Smile
737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 12:55pm
I got another day off college. . . . .shweeeet
Generic forum signature
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 12:57pm
Been in to school this morning for my Physics resit, now back at home.  Had loads of snow fall last night and this morning.  Just found out most of the schools are now closing early and the buses have stopped!
Kind regards,
Tom
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

We smiled as we drove past rows of abandoned cars that couldn't make it up the hills to where we live.

Shouldn't you have felt sorry for them rather than smiling smugly, you nasty man. Smile
Abandoned cars... i.e. owners had left them there and gone on by foot. Wink
Although, I did feel sorry for the cars - looked quite sad all lined up along the road there like some makeshift car park...
In Kontrol View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote In Kontrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 1:27pm
Just seen the news PMSL! What a laughing stock we make ourselves look! I swear there was about 1 inch of snow on the roads, yet the road was shut!
Answer me this, how come I can drive up to scotland to go riding, park my car in a car park that's full of snow at least 4 or 5 inches deep - and still manage to get out?!
CyprusAirwaysA330 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyprusAirwaysA330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 2:01pm
Went in for a Physics exam, afternoon school was abandoned for our year (only games anyways), and just had a huge snowball fight with the three upper years of the school joining in. Tongue
johnsmithfsx View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnsmithfsx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 9:53pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic