This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brit to be Executed in China

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 3:54pm

While I agree that the punishment in this case does not fit the crime, I do believe strongly that China has every right to make and enforce their own laws, including those with which we may not agree.  There are limits to that, and though this one may approach that, I think they were within their rights. They choose to take a hard line in the interest of protecting their people from the evils of illegal drugs - I have a hard time faulting that.

----------------------------------------

Drug trafficing is not a victimless crime.  How many lives could have been lost or ruined over nine pounds of heroin?  How many more crimes committed? The fact that he did not succeed marginally lessens the severity of what he actually did, but the intent to deliver was there and that's plenty serious.

Penalties for unsuccessfully attempting a crime should (and in most places do) carry a lesser penalty, but that's a slippery slope. If too light, there's little or no deterrent effect and the wrongdoers take their slap on the wrist and try again for whatever they perceive to be the brass ring.  If the crime that was attempted is sufficiently harmul, the penalty should be nearly as severe as that for succeeding at it.  Bombing airliners is a great example. 

There's a real dilimma with people who have mental illnesses.  They can't all be locked up, nor should they be, but it's not right that they should be absolved from obeying the law or from harming or attempting to harm others without consequence. Often crimes committed by persons with mental issues happen because they stop taking the prescribed medications.  Maybe that's the crime.  They make a conscious decision to not take the medicine and then lose control, but they were in control when they made that decision.

In this particular case, I feel strongly that if this guy was so dim-witted that someone could convince him that smuggling heroin into China, given their legal system and the severity of the crime, he was incapable of caring for himself.  Anyone that gullible is a menace to himself and sooner or later is going to be used by someone to do something awful. 

Personally, I'm not buying the mental illness defense in this particular case.  I believe he knew what he was doing and was going for the big score.  He was no doubt offered a sum of money that was, in his opinion, worth the risk. His infirmity, whatever it may have been, may have made him more gullible, but it seems incredible to me that he could have been so out of touch with reality that he thought that what he was attempting was OK.

John Allard
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 4:08pm
If he breaks a law punishable by death yes!

So you believe it's right to apply that law? You agree with The Chinese killing a man without assessing his mental health Kill someone for a crime that didn't harm anyone?

And your taking this "maybe he was mentally ill" talk too serious martin

I'm not actually and neither was the UK government. It was the basis of the attempts over the last two years, 27 separate attempts, by the UK authorities for clemency. They didn't invent this notion, conjure it up out of thin air.

Is it ok to kill someone that attempted to kill many and failed like he did? yes 100%

Wrong! He didn't attempt to kill many. Even if that heroine had reached the population, there is no evidence that it would have resulted in a fatality.Possible, but not definitive. There was no deliberate premeditated attempt to kill.

You have made it very apparent that you not inly condone the death penalty for murder, but now also for an act that resulted in zero harm.

You've also made it clear that you are not bothered at all about the Chinese not even bothering to assess his mental health, a task they could have implemented with ease.

Not sure if this is simply your inability to reason, or lack of regard for life.

To take a human life is an unbelievably extreme measure. You don't do it on maybe, or perhaps if, or it could have. You do it when there is definite and fatal harm to others.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 4:27pm
While I agree that the punishment in this case does not fit the crime, I do believe strongly that China has every right to make and enforce their own laws, including those with which we may not agree.  There are limits to that, and though this one may approach that, I think they were within their rights. They choose to take a hard line in the interest of protecting their people from the evils of illegal drugs - I have a hard time faulting that.

Yes John, thats all very well. They may have been well within their rights in terms of their own legal system, but they sure as hell aren't in terms of decency and morality. A countries actions don't become okay just because it's in accordance with their law.

Drug trafficing is not a victimless crime.  How many lives could have been lost or ruined over nine pounds of heroin?  How many more crimes committed? The fact that he did not succeed marginally lessens the severity of what he actually did, but the intent to deliver was there and that's plenty serious.

You can't take away a persons life based on what might have happened. There also may well have been no fatalities as a result of the drugs reaching the market place. You can't kill based on what if.

If the crime that was attempted is sufficiently harmul, the penalty should be nearly as severe as that for succeeding at it. 

He was put to death. so what do you advocate for those that do get the drug to the market place and do harm others? Follow then into the astral plane and torture them perhaps?

There's a real dilimma with people who have mental illnesses.  They can't all be locked up, nor should they be, but it's not right that they should be absolved from obeying the law or from harming or attempting to harm others without consequence.

What do you think he was, a knife wielding maniac? He carried a bag through an airport. Numerous times, individuals have been conned into doing as much, without being aware of the contents. Stupid yes, dim witted yes, mentally ill and therefore easily conned yes, but you don't kill them under that circumstance.

Measures exist in all legal sytsems for such eventualities, unfortunately the Chinese did't even asses him to find out. What do you think he did John, killed 50,000 with a nuke? he harmed no one directly, in fact he harmed no one at all. There is evidence he was ill, there's evidence he was conned, although we will never know for sure because the Chinese killed him without a mental health assessment.

In this particular case, I feel strongly that if this guy was so dim-witted that someone could convince him that smuggling heroin into China, given their legal system and the severity of the crime, he was incapable of caring for himself.  Anyone that gullible is a menace to himself and sooner or later is going to be used by someone to do something awful. 

So it was okay to kill him?

Personally, I'm not buying the mental illness defense in this particular case.  I believe he knew what he was doing and was going for the big score.

Guess work, pure speculation, based on no evidence. The UK authorities that fought tirelessly for clemency over the last two years didn't do this on an invented mental illness. Don't you think that the officials will have had some basis for that claim?

allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 5:18pm

Quote They may have been well within their rights in terms of their own legal system, but they sure as hell aren't in terms of decency and morality. A countries actions don't become okay just because it's in accordance with their law.

Now there's some fertile ground for another thread. 

Muslims don't think our laws are decent.  We don't think China's are.  Saudi Arabia chops off the hands of thieves.  Beheading and stoning are still prescribed in some places for some crimes.  Many equate abortion with pre-meditated murder. Some feel marijuana should be entirely decriminalized.  Conscription.  Confiscatory taxation. Religion-based laws. A heath care program that imposes a fine for failure  to buy health insurance.  There are probably about 5,000 examples of laws others find abhorrent that come easily to mind. I respectfully suggest that's an entirely new topic and shouldn't be pursued in this thread.

Quote He was put to death. so what do you advocate for those that do get the drug to the market place and do harm others? Follow then into the astral plane and torture them perhaps?

You ignored or failed to notice that I said in my first sentence that the punishment did not fit the crime.  If death is prescribed for a crime, I don't think twenty or twenty-five years for the attempt is unreasonable.

Quote What do you think he was, a knife wielding maniac?

No, I think he was a not-very-smart person who thought he could make a big score by committing a serious crime in a country with a draconian legal system. I said that.

Quote So it was okay to kill him?

See above...

Quote Guess work, pure speculation, based on no evidence.

Guilty as charged, your Moderatorship.  Once again I have the audacity to have an opinion of my own.  I can't prove it, nor do I need to.  It's just an opinion. Your mileage may vary...

Quote The UK authorities that fought tirelessly for clemency over the last two years didn't do this on an invented mental illness.

Hmmm. Let's see, public officials, many of whom hold law degrees and whose very work is all about law, coming up with the ploy of an invented or exaggerated mental illness in an attempt to get a lesser sentance for a criminal.  I guess you're right, that could never happen.

Quote Don't you think that the officials will have had some basis for that claim?

I think officials do what officials do for a myriad of reasons, sometimes even because they have some basis for it, whether in China or the UK.

For what it's worth, I don't think he should have been executed either, but the Chinese did and it was on their turf.  Perhaps he should have committed his crime in Scotland, where mercy, if not justice, prevails.  I guess that's another thread too.

John Allard
Flightboy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flightboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 5:26pm
Guess work, pure speculation, based on no evidence. The UK authorities that fought tirelessly for clemency over the last two years didn't do this on an invented mental illness. Don't you think that the officials will have had some basis for that claim?

Your claim he WAS mentally ill was a guess!  the "evidence" was people saying he did weird things and acted oddly? thats not proof and thats why china executed him. Do i think his family who were no where to be seen when he was living homeless in poland but able to live clearly might have played on the "hes ill" idea to try and get him off.......totally

And any one who thinks 4KG of heroin may not kill people ( short or tlong term ) is a fool

Flightboy
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 7:45pm
I am absolutely astonished at some of the replies I've seen here. It's also very, very sad to see some of the things that have been written and the ignorance shown.

There's a lot of "I believe" in the death penalty, or against the death penalty. These views are merely the results of what people "feel" is right, absolutely no objective logic whatsoever.

I am for the death penalty, include in cases of drug smuggling, and that's because there is sound, logical evidence that it works. However, this man DID have Bipolar. It was not a guess, he was diagnosed and had the horrific affliction right up until he was murdered.

Emotions are what drive people to do things. Rationalisation, trying to be objective about as much stuff as you can is a very good thing mostly. But it is absolutely impossible to be able to live a life and try to be 100% objective about something you are the subject of. It is impossible to rationalise life. If one were to continue to be 100% logical about absolutely everything, they wouldn't be able to do anything. They wouldn't be able to live life. Why would they? What's the point? What's the logic behind doing anything at all? If I were to become a doctor because it felt good to help people, would I have done so out of logic? Or because of some emotion I had? I would have done it because I would have had a sense of happiness from doing so, it's not rational at all. You could say there is logic in wanting to help cure mankind from disease, but you could in turn say what is the point in that? You cannot rationalise it totally.

Emotion is the only reason we humans can continue to function. So you can see how absolutely vital it is for our existence. Therefore, it should be easy to see how much of an enormous effect it would have on a person whose brain is messed up in such a way as to produce massive swings of emotion on a regular basis. The man was, in a way, normal. He couldn't just ignore his emotion. It was who he was, and he followed his emotions as I'm sure the vast majority of sufferers would. People pretty much just "listen" to their emotions, and simply hope that everything is OK in their brain. In this man's case, it wasn't.  

A doctor once told me about one of his patients, who had bipolar, who was continuously perplexed at why nobody would believe that he owned and ran all the McDonalds restaurants in the world.

This man did commit a crime, and for that he should be assigned a punishment. But his mind was not sound, it should have been taken into account. Had this been done, I am absolutely sure he would not have received the full punishment.

His family are probably also accountable, there should have been some sort of responsibility for the man. From what I understand, people suffering or recovering from some psychiatric illness are often told not to remain isolated.

The kind of ignorance that has been displayed by some people here is present also in the Chinese officials that sentenced him to death. These government officals are responsible for over a billion people, it's an extremely sad fact that we have idiots in charge of the well being of a population.

Unfortunately, the most intelligent people are in a tiny minority; the world is a bell curve.

Quote Your claim he WAS mentally ill was a guess!  the "evidence" was people saying he did weird things and acted oddly? thats not proof and thats why china executed him. Do i think his family who were no where to be seen when he was living homeless in poland but able to live clearly might have played on the "hes ill" idea to try and get him off.......totally

And any one who thinks 4KG of heroin may not kill people ( short or tlong term ) is a fool

Flightboy

No. The man had Bipolar, a mental illness. Martin simply stated this fact, no guessing. What is pure speculation is simply guessing, or "feeling" that his illness had nothing to do with the crime.

I sincerely hope and pray that this way of thinking does not overcome rationale (or "left-leaning clap trap") and logic. What a crappy place we'd be living in.  

I myself suffer from similar problems, and so I can not only understand, but feel what this man was going through. It is extremely unpleasant.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 8:47pm

Quote ...until he was murdered.

That's an interesting way to look at it.  A sovereign nation with laws on the books forbidding this act and proscribing the penalty for it does not equate to murder. Injustice, perhaps; cruelty - that too; murder is a stretch, legally speaking.

Quote This man did commit a crime, and for that he should be assigned a punishment. But his mind was not sound, it should have been taken into account.

Agreed, and in a less autocratic and more human-rights oriented nation, yours and mine included, that would certainly have been the case. 

He put himself beyond the reach of clemency by his actions.  It's tragic, but life is not always fair.

Quote But his mind was not sound, it should have been taken into account. Had this been done, I am absolutely sure he would not have received the full punishment.

In China? His mental condition might not have mattered there, regardless of how much consideration it was given. 

Perhaps the only thing really left to discuss now is the hypothetical.  What punishment should have been assigned?  If China's answer was too swift and too severe, which I believe it was, I strongly suspect that the one he'd have received here or in the UK would have been too little.  The legal eagles would have had him absolved of any responsibility under the law for what he did and he'd be treated and quickly released to sin no more. 

He would not have been made better in any way.  He'd have escaped the consequences but the causes would still be there and would manifest themselves again in due course, to his own detriment and to the detriment of others.  It happens over and over again. Who benefits?

If a person whose mind is unsound has proven himself capable of attemting a serious crime, what should be done?  Has not government and the medical profession a responsibility to assure that he doesn't get carte blanche to keep trying, or to try other things until he succeeds in doing harm to himself or others? 

I don't know the answer to this one, but people whose illness makes them capable of deluding themselves or of being deluded into attemting heinous things that harm society should be constrained from doing so.

Quote Martin simply stated this fact, no guessing.

Saying something does not necessarily make it a fact.

John Allard
Flightboy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flightboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Odai Odai wrote:

No. The man had Bipolar, a mental illness. Martin simply stated this fact, no guessing. What is pure speculation is simply guessing, or "feeling" that his illness had nothing to do with the crime.

I sincerely hope and pray that this way of thinking does not overcome rationale (or "left-leaning clap trap") and logic. What a crappy place we'd be living in.  

I myself suffer from similar problems, and so I can not only understand, but feel what this man was going through. It is extremely unpleasant.

There was no eveidence of him having bipolar. Looking into it more his medical records were clear off any mental illness so maybe you know something the rest of us dont again odai? From statement given by the embassy in london

"Out of humanitarian consideration, visas were granted to the two cousins of Mr Shaikh on Boxing Day, and they were given access to meeting Mr Shaikh in China.

"As for his possible mental illness which has been much talked about, there apparently has been no previous medical record."

The embassy statement said there was strong support in China for the death penalty for drug smugglers.

"The amount of heroin he brought into China was 4,030g, enough to cause 26,800 deaths, threatening numerous families," it said.

"In China the conditions are not there for abolishing the death penalty.

"But it is applied in a cautious manner and limited number, all such cases are reviewed by the Supreme Court."

Seems far less extreme when you read the non hyped version of events.

Originally posted by Odai Odai wrote:

Then maybe your emotions are affecting you POV on the subject

Flightboy
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 11:26pm
Quote There was no eveidence of him having bipolar. Looking into it more his medical records were clear off any mental illness so maybe you know something the rest of us dont again odai? From statement given by the embassy in london

Come on! It's obvious he's bipolar. A specialist was even sent to China because of this (travel paid for by the charity Reprieve), twice, and was refused access to the prisoner both times despite China's promise that they'd let him evaluate the prisoner's condition. After the second refusal, Chinese officials promised they'd do their own medical evaluation, which never took place.

Quote Then maybe your emotions are affecting you POV on the subject

You didn't think that through before you posted did you? And no, they're not.

Flightboy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flightboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 11:38pm
I think this resisting the urge thing martin is going to make me mentally ill! or ill get a brain tumour!

Flightboy
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 11:53pm
Eh?
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2009 at 12:58am

Quote Come on! It's obvious he's bipolar.

Pretty strong evidence there.

He may very well have been bi-polar.  It seems likely, but there's no specific diagnosis of that by any doctor who ever examined him.  The closest is by a former personal physician who says...

"In my experience of Mr Akmal Shaikh this is totally out of character of the patient I knew. As his doctor, I am concerned that Mr Akmal Shaikh has since progressive medical and mental conditions."[emphasis added]

The crux of that is that the man was not blatantly bi-polar the last time the doctor saw him but the doctor is now concerned because of accounts he has heard of the man's behavior.  That may nibble at a diagnosis, but it's pretty thin.

The Chinese prevented a current, credible diagnosis and in so doing preserved the doubt about whether he was or wasn't.  It's despicable but true none the less.  You're forced to decide what to believe without concrete evidence.  That's called opinion.
-------------------------------------------------

Quote A specialist was even sent to China because of this...

That's not evidence, it's an attempt to establish evidence and was thwarted by the Chinese.

Quote From the Reprieve site...

Akmal had a lifelong history of very strange behaviour, and Reprieve uncovered vital evidence that he suffered from an extremely serious mental condition.

A preliminary medical report by clinical psychologist Dr Peter Schaapveld suggests that the odd decisions leading up to Akmal’s offence were most likely influenced by some form of delusional psychosis.

Diagnosis from a distance, by hearsay, of a patient never seen, including the weasel-words, "...suggests..." and, "...most likely...."  There's a fine old medical procedure, the primary benefit of which is to get the physician's name in the newspapers.

You're beating a dead horse (no gallows humor intended).  China is what China is and the man has already been executed. You're not going to change things in China and you're not going to bring Mr. Drug Mule back to life. 

I think we can all agree (most of us anyway - I saw one exception) that it would have been better if the guy had not been executed and instead had been remanded to the British authorities to deal with.  At least he'd still be alive.  But that didn't happen and it's not the fault of anyone on this side of the Chinese border. 

Now, whether he was bi-polar or not is really kind of moot. I happen to be of the opinion that he probably was, but it's only an opinion, like yours.  The actual fact of the matter is a) indeterminable with any medical certainty at this point and, b) is irrelevant.  It was only important as a rationale for staying his exectuion and they have executed him.

Who exactly are you upset with about this, Martin and Odai, and what should they have done differently?  I don't believe anyone on this forum is responsible in any way for what happened. 

John Allard
BigTex View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigTex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2009 at 1:21am
We do live in a world consisting of over 200 nations.  As of today, those nations are still sovereign entities that are independent of other countries and individuals.  Anyone has the right to criticize those laws, but there is nothing we can do about it.

I have traveled extensively around East Asia.  I have lost count of how many customs declarations I have filled out on flights in and out of those countries.  In many of those countries that proscribe the death penalty for drug smuggling, it is always written on the customs declaration form in BIG BOLD often in BIG BOLD RED lettering something to this effect:  PHILIPPINES LAW PROSCRIBES THE DEATH PENALTY FOR DRUG SMUGGLERS.
You can insert the names of over a dozen countries I have visited in place of the Philippines.  It should be no surprise that a person arrested for drug smuggling be charged with a capital crime. 

Many of these countries, the Philippines included, do not ask for capital punishment in these cases.  However, China does, especially for someone carrying over 4kg of heroin. 

They did not just arbitrarily create and enforce a new law for this one individual.  The law has been there since the end of the Opium Wars in China.  And don't forget whose empire was responsible for that. 

As we are a world of sovereign nations, China has the right to enforce its laws as it sees fit, if we disagree with that we can surely post our opinions.  But until we, "insert appropriate deity here" forbid, have a one world government we can't do anything about what happens in China, except air our complaints in forums like this, write a letter to the editor of our paper, boycott Chinese products, or elect people who will take a firm stand when dealing with China.

4 kilos is not mere possession for personal use, I know little about heroin and its uses, but that sounds like a lifetime supply for an entire football side, at the least, or enough to stone the entire population of a mid-sized city.

I don't agree with what China did in this case, I think life in prison would have been a much more appropriate sentence.  However, from what I have heard of Chinese prisons, being executed might be more merciful.

Rick
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2009 at 1:38am

The Chinese prevented a current, credible diagnosis and in so doing preserved the doubt about whether he was or wasn't.  It's despicable but true none the less.  You're forced to decide what to believe without concrete evidence.  That's called opinion.

A specialist was even sent to China because of this...

That's not evidence, it's an attempt to establish evidence and was thwarted by the Chinese.

Exactly what I was attacking, China destroyed any possibility of this man being saved through a proper diagnosis of his condition.

What upset me most is the fact that some people uphold and support this kind of mentality, whereby they claim authorities are just being "soft".

I may well have mis-understood your posts, but I was under the impression that you were one of these people, having claimed that these policies are overly "left-leaning" and "liberal".

I apologise if any of the terms I used have caused you to be offended/insulted, but I still can't see these kinds of ideas to be the result of anything but ignorance.

Ideally, his condition would have been evaluated properly before a sentence was handed to him. Then the authorities could have administered the appropriate punishment having taken into account his mental state (which may well have been no punishment at all, I cannot say though, I don't know enough about the case).

I'm fully behind the death penalty for drug smugglers, but absolutely am against a complete injustice like this.

Quote I don't believe anyone on this forum is responsible in any way for what happened. 

Neither do I, but that's not the point. When I criticise someone on this forum for supporting Israel's horrific actions in Gaza for example, it's not because I think they are in any way responsible or involved...
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2009 at 2:32am
Attaboy, Big Tex!
------------------------------------------

Quote When I criticise someone on this forum for supporting Israel's horrific actions in Gaza for example, it's not because I think they are in any way responsible or involved...

You might consider whether criticizing a person for their opinions is proper.   Argue with opinions, criticize actions.

One of the worst things about this forum is the personal attacks and slurs that are leveled against one if certain people disagree with them.  I've probably gotten into the feeding frenzy myself at times, but try to remain above that.  That behavior kept me away for a while and will probably drive me away again. (Take heart, Martin, you may be rid of me yet.)

-------------------------------------------

With respect to the Chinese, it's their house and they get to run it unless they run afoul of international law, which they did not. Human life is cheap there, and he placed himself in their control.  The only way he was going to escape was if they decided it was in their (not his) best interests.  China caught the guy red-handed, and they obviously figured his life was worth less (to them) than the cost (again, to them) of the perceived weakness and the encouragement it would have offered to other potential drug smugglers if they'd been lenient.  If anything gave them pause it would have been fear of a strong adverse international reaction and I suppose they evaluated that and judged that they could weather that storm.

I believe many western nations, the US and UK included, are too soft in terms of allowing criminals off with wrists slapped or off completely on the thinnest of excuses.  Thousands of lawyers make very good livings exploiting that and returning people to the streets who will probably commit their next crime within a week.  Judicial revolving doors really bother me.  Deterrence is a vital element of criminal punishment and weak punishment dillutes deterrence.

Many, including many who are not ill at all, escape the consequences of having committed crimes by pretending to have "problems".  Paid "expert witnesses" can be had to support such stories if the money is right - some believe in what they are doing and do it free.  In any case, it's often very easy to get a person who's committed a serious crime off with community service, time served and a few doctor visits, regardless of whether they have any problem or not.  That's a travesty of justice.

A harder question is what to do with people who do have a problem and whose medical/mental condition causes them to commit crimes.  First you must separate the truly sick from the charlatans - not all that easy, though there are probably 20 of the latter for every one of those with genuine issues.

Secondly, it is in my opinion, impearative to protect the rest of society from the troubled person who has already transgressed or who is judged very likely to because of a clinically diagnosed condition.  I don't know exactly where the bar should be or how to do that.  The answer is probably different for each case.  It may be medication, analysis, therapy or institutionalization in some combination, and maybe some other things.  I don't know.  In the main, I mistrust the practitioners of the psychologial science anyway because they are so prone to absolving everyone from responsibility for everything. I take responsibility for my actions and so should most everyone.  The rest of us should not have to be at risk from those who are truly not able to be responsible.

Two things about the current state of things bother me...

1) Criminals who escape justice because they claim to be troubled but who are simply criminals hiding behind a convenient flaw in the system

2) Troubled people who have demonstrated or are judged likely to demonstate harmful, anti-social behavior, but who are permitted further opportinities to do so anyway at the peril of the rest of us

An innocent person killed or harmed by someone like that is more of a tragedy than the death of man who, probably with at least some level of consciousness that what he was doing was wrong, managed to get himself legally executed by a foreign government for a capital crime on their soil. 

John Allard
BigTex View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigTex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2009 at 4:54am
Originally posted by allardjd allardjd wrote:

With respect to the Chinese, it's their house and they get to run it unless they run afoul of international law, which they did not. Human life is cheap there, and he placed himself in their control.  The only way he was going to escape was if they decided it was in their (not his) best interests.  China caught the guy red-handed, and they obviously figured his life was worth less (to them) than the cost (again, to them) of the perceived weakness and the encouragement it would have offered to other potential drug smugglers if they'd been lenient.  If anything gave them pause it would have been fear of a strong adverse international reaction and I suppose they evaluated that and judged that they could weather that storm.

I expect that the Chinese realize now that the resulting hullabaloo about this is probably greatly increasing the deterence factor of executing this one drug smuggler.  Everyday, that the execution is a favored subject in the news and in forums like this, more and more poeple are becoming aware that China does excecute drug smugglers.  More than a few of the people being enlightened to this fact may have their lives saved because they will refuse to 'mule' dope into the People's Republic. 

As China becomes more prosperous, drugs will become a larger problem as happens in all emerging economies these days.  Increased demand will drive people to try to turn a buck by providing some drugs to supply that demand.  Unfortunately, the head honchos in the drug industry do not actually transport their product, they instead rely on people like the fellow executed yesterday. 

As more word of his execution spreads, that might deter some other gullible types from trying to smuggle dope into China, without realizing the full consequences of their illegal activity, e.g. China does put drug smugglers to death.  Therefore executing this one individual may be the deterrence that saves who knows how many more people that might have been duped by the druglords.

One life for five, ten, a dozen, hundreds or however many lives might have been ultimately saved by China executing this one man.  I think it should provide us all with something else to think about.

Rick

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2009 at 9:10am

You ignored or failed to notice that I said in my first sentence that the punishment did not fit the crime. 

You also said…

I think they were within their rights. They choose to take a hard line in the interest of protecting their people from the evils of illegal drugs - I have a hard time faulting that.

Guilty as charged, your Moderatorship.  Once again I have the audacity to have an opinion of my own.  I can't prove it, nor do I need to.  It's just an opinion. Your mileage may vary...

It’s a good idea to base your opinions on fact when dealing with the ultimate punishment, the loss of a human life. Speculation isn’t a good basis to form an opinion in regard to such a serious issue.

Hmmm. Let's see, public officials, many of whom hold law degrees and whose very work is all about law, coming up with the ploy of an invented or exaggerated mental illness in an attempt to get a lesser sentance for a criminal.  I guess you're right, that could never happen.

Something tells me they wouldn’t be stupid enough to put forward a defence that was based on zero evidence. They aren’t dumb. The government are going to advertise to the world that they are liars are they. There will “obviously” be a basis to their defence.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2009 at 9:23am
 If China's answer was too swift and too severe, which I believe it was, I strongly suspect that the one he'd have received here or in the UK would have been too little.  The legal eagles would have had him absolved of any responsibility under the law for what he did and he'd be treated and quickly released to sin no more. 

John, hypothetically... if the man had been sent back to the UK and his mental illness medically diagnosed and regarded as a factor, his punishment should have been ZERO. He harmed no one, if he was mentally ill he would have, should have, been given the proper medical treatment. You can't punish an individual who id mentally ill, for a crime that harmed no one.

If a person whose mind is unsound has proven himself capable of attemting a serious crime, what should be done?  Has not government and the medical profession a responsibility to assure that he doesn't get carte blanche to keep trying, or to try other things until he succeeds in doing harm to himself or others? 

John, individuals that are a direct danger to society are kept out of harms way. This man did not fit into that category. He carried a bag, once, he wasn't a serial drugs courier. It's highly unlikely that he would have committed the same crime again. There is good evidence he was ill.

I don't know the answer to this one, but people whose illness makes them capable of deluding themselves or of being deluded into attemting heinous things that harm society should be constrained from doing so.

They already are.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2009 at 9:36am
There was no eveidence of him having bipolar. Looking into it more his medical records were clear off any mental illness

So were mine for decades. It means nothing.

The point you continually miss, and the very basis for the outrage, the objection to the Chinese actions, is that the Chinese didn't bother to carry out a mental health assessment.

If there is any doubt at all, any suggestion from another source, any suggestion that an accused is mentally ill, an assessment should take place. Not to do this is obscene.

The objections voiced are for this reason.

Pretty strong evidence there.

He may very well have been bi-polar.  It seems likely, but there's no specific diagnosis of that by any doctor who ever examined him.  The closest is by a former personal physician who says...

Irrelevant, this is not rocket science. Diagnosis is irrelevant. you don't become mentally ill after a diagnosis, this isn't some Schroedinger's cat thought experiment, illness comes before diagnosis. Precisely why the Chinese should have allowed a mental health assessment.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2009 at 9:54am

Who exactly are you upset with about this, Martin and Odai, and what should they have done differently?  I don't believe anyone on this forum is responsible in any way for what happened. 

I can't believe you said that John. We are obviously "upset" as you put it with the Chinese government. The Chinese government should haver allowed a mental health assessment, not to do this is a violation of human rights. If there was any suggestion that he was ill, he should have been assessed.

What they should have done differently, was allow him a proper mental health assessment.

As for this forum and it's members, I have seen comments advocating the Chinese actions, and I have also seen contradictory statements from individuals, expressing the view that the Chinese actions were over the top... after comments that the individual  "had a hard time faulting the Chinese actions." Sounds like backtracking to me.

This stuff is not difficult, we don't need to be geniuses. The death penalty is the ultimate price to pay, it should be reserved for the ultimate crime, the taking of a human life. Unfortunately, the Chinese, along with all their other human rights abuses see things differently.

But the real crime, the one causing the outrage, is that the Chinese failed to allow this man a mental health assessment, and just killed him without a proper medical examination.

I may well have mis-understood your posts, but I was under the impression that you were one of these people, having claimed that these policies are overly "left-leaning" and "liberal".

Don't worry Odai, I found his posts contradictory too.

1) Criminals who escape justice because they claim to be troubled but who are simply criminals hiding behind a convenient flaw in the system

How often does that happen? Not very, no system is perfect, but the times that scenario is manifest is small. Professionals exam them, they make a professional diagnosis, sometimes they get it wrong, on the whole they get it right.

2) Troubled people who have demonstrated or are judged likely to demonstate harmful, anti-social behavior, but who are permitted further opportinities to do so anyway at the peril of the rest of us

Happens, no system is perfect, but a rare occurrence.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic