This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brit to be Executed in China

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot_Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

If he was mentally ill Tom?

I think the Chinese may have taken it more seriously if he'd ever been professionally diagnosed. However, as we're seeing from Iran now and in the past months, have seen in Iraq and Afghanistan (with new "friendly pro-Western governments!) and China, they really don't like us meddling in their internal affairs.

Sadly it appears that rather then get medical help, he and his family did their separate things, with him going off to form his airline in Poland, and record his "world changing" music single. From what's appeared in the media, the only western professional to have "diagnosed" him did so in a recent paper, and I'm not sure if he ever met his subject. To the hard line and unsympathetic Chinese judiciary, these all appeared a little too late.
Flightboy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flightboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 4:55pm

You believe that it's perfectly okay, to execute a human being, take a man's life, not bothering to carry out a mental assessment, despite the possibility of him being mentally ill, and despite the fact that his actions directly harmed no one?

I seriously hope not.

I find it telling that China has said it recieved no paperwork or evidence from anyone to say he was mentally ill, if he was then why didnt reprieve provide it

"Legal charity Reprieve has been working on the case with Mr Shaikh's family.

The organisation has collected witness statements from people who knew Mr Shaikh while he was sleeping rough in Poland"

To me it sounds like someone is guessing his mental state rather than having factual infomation and martin having 4kg of heroin on you is more than posession Geek

Flightboy

allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 6:35pm

It's more touchy-feely liberal clap-trap. No one's ever to be held responsible for their own actions.  Anything, everything except personal choice is a valid cause for someone's anti-social behaviors - there's always an extenuating circumstance to exempt someone from personal accountability.  The thought of personal responsibility for ill behavior is abhorrent to the left-leaning bunch and they attempt to blame society, government, the phases of the moon or other influences when someone does something harmful or potentially harmful. 

Choices have consequences.  The guy made some bad choices and the result of those choices had a bad outcome for him.  If someone duped him, he's not the first - the world is full of people who will dupe you into doing stupid things.  If I send my bank account infromation to a guy in Nigeria who wrote me (and a few hundred thousand others) a broken-English e-mail, he'll deposit vast sums of money in my account. One must be wary and skeptical to avoid being taken advantage of.
Someone likely made him an offer that was too good to be true and he should have been less eager to assent to it. If you travel to China, North Korea, Iran, Saudi Arabia or any one of a few dozen other places in the world that have draconian laws and legal systems, it's best to be squeaky clean and extremely careful.  Many countries don't have tens of thousands of lawyers whose specialty is seeing that guilty people are not convicted.

It defies belief that this guy thought that he was engaged in a legal, harmless, perfectly OK thing to do.  He was a drug-runner, for Pete's sake, and nine pounds of heroin is not a trivial thing.  If he did think that was OK, he was too stupid or too impaired to be allowed to run loose. It's not right to have people who cannot be held responsible for their actions roaming around free and able to act as they wish. It's the ultimate get-out-of-jail-free card, a blank check to do ill to others without retribution.  No society can afford much of that.

You can argue all day about the wisdom of the Chinese laws and the actions of the Chinese government, but it's their country and people who travel there are subject to their laws.  I wish they'd been more lenient, questioning, accomodating, slow to act, but they weren't and I expect that what they did was perfectly legal under their laws, even though very severe.  The Chinese, I'm sure, see this as a deterrent.  They have a very low tolerance for importing drugs into their country and they make no secret of it.  It's hard to fault the basic rationale - it's just how they choose to enforce it that's perhaps off the deep end. 

Yes, it's harsh and extreme, but severe penalties, stricltly and swiftly imposed DO have a deterrent effect and I'm pretty sure it's that which drove them in this case. They see this as protecting their people from an evil and it's hard to argue with that.

If the guy was sufficiently impaired to not be capable of being responsible for his own actions, he shouldn't have been free and able to travel, presumably with a passport and a visa. If he was not so impaired, oh well. Choices have consequences.  He made some bad choices and suffered some bad consequences.

John Allard
737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 5:10am
. . . .strong words John, good argument but I think we should have brought the fella back to the UK
Generic forum signature
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 6:54am

Quote ...I think we should have brought the fella back to the UK

That would have been a nice thing if it could have happened, but it apparently wasn't in the cards.  He put his head in the lion's mouth and lost the gamble.  He put himself in a situation where those who wanted to help him couldn't, and those who could didn't want to.
John Allard
737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 7:01am
Originally posted by allardjd allardjd wrote:

Quote ...I think we should have brought the fella back to the UK

That would have been a nice thing if it could have happened, but it apparently wasn't in the cards.  He put his head in the lion's mouth and lost the gamble.  He put himself in a situation where those who wanted to help him couldn't, and those who could didn't want to.

Very well put.  Life isnt all sweet
Generic forum signature
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 9:50am
Originally posted by 737Chris 737Chris wrote:

. . . .strong words John, good argument but I think we should have brought the fella back to the UK

Why should we bring him back to the UK?!  Do we really want another criminal in our country?  I think not. 
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 10:00am
I think the Chinese may have taken it more seriously if he'd ever been professionally diagnosed.

True Hotty, but as an OCD sufferer, I went for decades without any medical diagnosis. Lack of a diagnosis means nothing, precisely why they should have conducted their own medical assessment like any civilised country would.

I find it telling that China has said it recieved no paperwork or evidence from anyone to say he was mentally ill, if he was then why didnt reprieve provide it

Yes they did Flighty. The authorities sent them evidence throughout the process, over two years, evidence of his bizarre behaviour, the Chinese ignored it. As I said above, a medical diagnosis means nothing. I myself suffered from full blown OCD without a diagnosis for many many years. They should have carried out an assessment. You don't become mentally ill after the assessment, you are mentally ill before.

having 4kg of heroin on you is more than posession
Quantity is irrelevant. The fact is that his actions did not result in the death or injury of anyone.

You haven't answered the question Flightboy...

Do you believe it is right to execute a man despite the possibility of mental illness, without a medical assesment, and despite the fact that his actions did not result in harm to anyone??? Yes or no?
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 10:21am

It's more touchy-feely liberal clap-trap. No one's ever to be held responsible for their own actions.  Anything, everything except personal choice is a valid cause for someone's anti-social behaviors - there's always an extenuating circumstance to exempt someone from personal accountability. 

John that fills me with dismay. As an OCD sufferer I can tell you with utmost certainty that mental illness results in bizarre behavior. Behavior you have no control over. Couple that with the Chinese not even bothering to carry out any kind of mental health assessment and you have an abhorrent occurrence.

This man carried drugs, possibly conned into doing so... he didn't wander down the street hacking people to death with a clever.

This man harmed no one, if you are intent on executing perpetrators, taking a human life, then you better make damn sure it's necessary, you better make damn sure it's for crimes that ''directly'' harm others. Anything else is absolutely obscene in a civilized society.

Choices have consequences.  The guy made some bad choices and the result of those choices had a bad outcome for him.

This man may have been mentally ill; therefore I am shocked and appalled by your attitude. 

If the guy was sufficiently impaired to not be capable of being responsible for his own actions, he shouldn't have been free and able to travel,

How naive. So, because society failed to prevent a bipolar suffer traveling it's okay to kill him?

There are numerous individuals in society that travel freely with mental difficulties, we aren’t talking about a crazy individual that runs around with a meat clever, we are talking about an individual with mental difficulties that was conned. For that he was executed.

I hope that you never suffer mental difficulties in your life, but if ever you do, then you will perhaps appreciate how a confused mind can be led astray. So what do we do, lock up all those in society that have mental disorders that could render them susceptible influence? How ridiculous!

Some of the attitudes on this forum based on a total lack of rational thought appal me.

FSaddict View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 10:55am
Probably one of my closest friend has OCD, ADHD, bi-polar disorder, and aspergers syndrome. Are you suggesting we should lock her up? Because she is often more sensible than i am.
Hot_Charlie View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot_Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 11:45am
Originally posted by 737Chris 737Chris wrote:

good argument but I think we should have brought the fella back to the UK

Quite how were we to do that?
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 12:35pm
Think it's rather disturbing. I was watching the Chinese official justifying their actions and then, later, looking through my National Geographic for this month. It details all the animals that they 'use' for various purposes, all the needless cruelty and suffering for the sake of their beliefs.

This latest act shows just how far their inhumanity stretches - to man now as well as the planets animals...
Flightboy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flightboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 1:15pm

I think the Chinese may have taken it more seriously if he'd ever been professionally diagnosed.

True Hotty, but as an OCD sufferer, I went for decades without any medical diagnosis. Lack of a diagnosis means nothing, precisely why they should have conducted their own medical assessment like any civilised country would.

Yes they did Flighty. The authorities sent them evidence throughout the process, over two years, evidence of his bizarre behaviour, the Chinese ignored it. As I said above, a medical diagnosis means nothing. I myself suffered from full blown OCD without a diagnosis for many many years. They should have carried out an assessment. You don't become mentally ill after the assessment, you are mentally ill before.

having 4kg of heroin on you is more than posession
Quantity is irrelevant. The fact is that his actions did not result in the death or injury of anyone.

You haven't answered the question Flightboy...

Do you believe it is right to execute a man despite the possibility of mental illness, without a medical assesment, and despite the fact that his actions did not result in harm to anyone??? Yes or no?

Bizzare behaviour dosnt mean your mentally ill martin, some people are just naturally weird acting like the people in the sales yesterday i saw just dropping things on the floor rather than putting it back on the table. China stated several times the evidence hadnt been put forward

Quantity is irrelevant. The fact is that his actions did not result in the death or injury of anyone
Please martin you know better! 4KG shows intent to supply hense why its not called posession

And on your working if i am a suicide bomber and i get on a bus today and my bomb dosnt go off correctly i then become less guilty becuase i didnt kill anyone? please....

Resisiting_Flightboy

Flightboy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flightboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Magic Man Magic Man wrote:

Think it's rather disturbing. I was watching the Chinese official justifying their actions and then, later, looking through my National Geographic for this month. It details all the animals that they 'use' for various purposes, all the needless cruelty and suffering for the sake of their beliefs.

This latest act shows just how far their inhumanity stretches - to man now as well as the planets animals...

Like the rest of the world kills animals for research? do you know how many million male chicks are killed each day as waste produce? How many calfs are killed as we dont like to eat veal?  i assume you buy everything that states only that it wasnt tested on animals?

Thought so

Flightboy
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 1:25pm
...except that chickens are not endangered. Neither are calfs. Yes, male chicks are 'disposed' of in a not too pleasant way but none of the animals we farm for food are exotics nor endangered nor hunted then slaughtered cruelly on the spot just for the sake of a horn or a fin etc...
Again, as with your post above it, not quite the same thing...

And comparing neccessary, controlled and monitored research on animals for the sake of developing proven life saving drugs is also not quite the same as killing a tiger for it's dangly bits nor a rhino for its horn for use as hokey witch doctor style 'remedies'... Some common sense please... 
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 1:38pm
Quote Bizzare behaviour dosnt mean your mentally ill martin, some people are just naturally weird acting like the people in the sales yesterday i saw just dropping things on the floor rather than putting it back on the table. China stated several times the evidence hadnt been put forward

The man's bizarre behaviour was believed to be bipolar disorder. They aren't saying he dropped things on the floor at the Christmas sales.

As for the evidence, the foreign office has said repeatedly, that they had 27 contacts with the Chinese, one from Gordon Brown. They put forward evidence that he was not well, the Chinese ignored that and didn't even bother to check. If someone even suggests an accused is ill, they should damn well carry out an assessment. How long does it take, how much effort does that take? very little, it's the least they could do with a man's life at stake.

Please martin you know better! 4KG shows intent to supply hense why its not called posession

Your not reading my posts.

Totally irrelevant. Intent to supply is not the case if he was conned, duped into carrying the suitcase. And carrying a suitcase that was subsequently seized by the authorities, didn't result in any injury, or death. No one was harmed... so they killed him. Even if guilty of intent, no deaths or injury resulted from his actions, that does not justify the death penalty, especially when they didn't even bother to carry out an assessment to see if he really was ill.

And on your working if i am a suicide bomber and i get on a bus today and my bomb dosnt go off correctly i then become less guilty becuase i didnt kill anyone? please....

And the law states that's the case, he isn't guilty of mass murder, he's guilty of an attempt at mass murder. But again, irrelevant, this individual wasn't a suicide bomber, intent on mass murder, he wasn't an axe wielding maniac, he was a man suspected of being ill, that was tricked into carrying a suitcase.

And you still haven't answered the question...

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 1:51pm

Well said magic.

Unfortunately some on the forum have bizarely extreme views and little regard for life and would favour the killing of anyone despite their actions not causing direct harm.

No one in their right mind would condone the actions of the Chinese. No civilised society executes an individual without bothering the check if they are mentally ill.

Such an act belongs in the dark ages with the rest of the barbaric practises.
Flightboy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flightboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 3:00pm

And you still haven't answered the question...

Seems your not polite enouth to take the hint martin that i dont want to answer and cause another me VS you debate on a subject we have debatedto death many times already ill just say this

He didnt get away with the crime, he broke the laws of china and he got the punishment set out by them laws. He "might" of had some mental health issues but in two years the UK and the people working for him didnt prove that clearly and i would argue than all the people that try and snuggle drugs around the world must have mental issues.

He did the crime and got chinas sentance for that crime the end.

Flightboy
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 3:36pm
Answer the question Flightboy.

It's nothing to do with the merits of the death penalty. If you believe in the death penalty for murder then thats your right.

This man harmed no one. No one died at his hands.

The Chinese didn't even bother to assess his mental health, despite the ease with which they could have done that.

They executed him without a medical assessment.

Do you belive it's okay to kill someone that has harmed no one?

Is that acceptable or not? Yes or no?
Flightboy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flightboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 3:51pm

Answer the question Flightboy.

It's nothing to do with the merits of the death penalty. If you believe in the death penalty for murder then thats your right.

This man harmed no one. No one died at his hands.

The Chinese didn't even bother to assess his mental health, despite the ease with which they could have done that.

They executed him without a medical assessment.

Do you belive it's okay to kill someone that has harmed no one?

Is that acceptable or not? Yes or no?

If he breaks a law punishable by death yes! And your taking this "maybe he was mentally ill" talk too serious martin, maybe he wasnt? and was just a bit simple and got caught.

Is it ok to kill someone that attempted to kill many and failed like he did? yes 100%

Flightboy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic