This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vulcan navigation.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodgy-alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vulcan navigation.
    Posted: 01 Jun 2008 at 10:32pm
Has anyone else noticed the same problem, Re the vulcan, Its great to get airborne and can reach a good altitude, but due to lack of any GPS once up there I have absolutely no idea where I am or how to find my way back to a military base to land the thing, short of coming down to low level and using my old road atlas to get a rough idea its an almost impossible task, unless of course one has a degree in air navigation. anyone got any ideas how to solve this problem. I am running the aircraft in FS2004.Confused
The light at the end of the tunnel is a freight train coming the other way !
dodgy-alan View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodgy-alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2008 at 8:45pm
Just repeating what Ive already said guys, Has anyone any Idea how to identify and airfield from 50,000 ft when they have not done a navigation course !! I can fly the aircraft perfectly well but there are very few airfields I can got straight to and know that I can get down in one peice, and I dont think a V bomber would be welcome at heathrow or gatwick these days (though having said that it probably would be by all the goofers (plain  spotters) there. however I think ATC would be less impressed) any help would be appreciated.Ermm
reider View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2008 at 9:03pm
You could probably add GPS but not really in keeping with the aircraft.  However, I can tell you how it could be achieved if you wish.  Failing that I know of a live map you can use, it does more than just mere mapping but pointless to describe it until we find out what you want.  Both ideas have to be added to the aircraft files, but are free.

I do not have the aircraft so I cannot test either idea.  Having said this, even my working blind I think theirs a good chance of something working out for you.

Reider

Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodgy-alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2008 at 10:52pm
Hi Reider, The GPS idea sounds more use as that shows ILS lines and runway orientation. also its what I use on most of the other aircraft. Its strange that its not in the Vulcan but IS in the default Vickers Vimy and Ford Trimotor. Any hints you can give me to add it to the aircraft would be useful, thanks.Smile
reider View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2008 at 11:17pm
I found they added GPS later in some aircraft in real life.  Here goes for an implant.....  First go to the aircraft panel folder, then make a backup copy of the panel.cfg and place it somewhere safe.  You can create a backup folder inside the panel folder if you wish and place a copy in there.  Then open the original panel.cfg using Notepad.

Look at the start of the file and you`ll see a bit that has [Window titles] in it.  Numbered Window00 - whatever tha last one ends with, lets say 10 for example.  So to manually add a command we start from 11, or 08 if the last one was 7 etc......

Window11=GPS

is what you add, or change 11 (in red) to whatever number is next in the list when incremented by 1.

Next look at the list of actual Windows, till you reach Window 10 or whatever is the last one.  Then paste this in, changing the number to suit (in red);

[Window11]
size_mm=456,378
window_size=0.5
position=8
BACKGROUND_COLOR=0,0,0
VISIBLE=0
ident=GPS_PANEL

gauge00=fs9gps!gps_500,            0,0

You can change the number to whatever you used in the first change, the bit that calls the GPS.  Theres only a slim possibility you could get the aircraft to automatically follow the GPS.  To try this you would need to add a radio in a similar way to the GPS above.  You would also need a NAV/GPS switch, to do this cheat and use the control settings to allocate this feature to a key.  I use the key to the left of the number 1 on the upper number set of the keyboard.

Place this after the GPS call you added at first, change the number (in red) to suit.

window12=Radio Stack

Place this after the GPS routine you added, changing the number to suit (in red).

[Window12]
size_mm=159,441
position=8
visible=0
BACKGROUND_COLOR=16,16,16
ident=RADIO_STACK_PANEL

gauge00=737-400!Comm 1,         0,   0,159, 68
gauge01=737-400!Comm 2,         0,  68,159, 68
gauge02=737-400!Nav 1,             0, 135,159, 68
gauge03=737-400!Nav 2,             0, 203,159, 68
gauge04=737-400!Transponder,     0, 271,159, 68
gauge05=737-400!ADF,             0, 340,159, 68
gauge06=737-400!Audio,             0, 409,159, 32

Its very dog rough but should help, even if you can only view the GPS and see where you are.

Reider
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodgy-alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 7:04am
Thanks for that bud. will print this off and give it a go when I,ve got some peice and quiet, I,m not the worlds greatest computer expert so will wait untill I can concentrate !.
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 6:06pm
Hi,

A little while ago I put together a little tool that will automatically add the GPS unit to any aircraft of your choice, saving you from having to manually edit cfg files etc.

Just download it, run it and follow the instructions on the screen.

Hope it helps
reider View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 9:34pm
Thats a good idea, I`ll paste that into a text file to use as a link again, thanks.

Reider
tonek View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 10:44pm
I had the same problem with this aircraft, however I found the best way to navigate was to enter a VOR to VOR flight plan make sure you enter the VOR into the Nav 1 radio and the auto pilot will take you there or follow the heading showing on the TACAN indicator, the TACON stations are not modeled in FS therefore the instument uses VOR signals recived in the Nav 1
radio.

This will get you to the airfield you are flying too if not you will not be far away.

Its not ideal but it is better than nothing.

Tony
Tony
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic