This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Air Hauler > Air Hauler 1 General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Captain Sim C130-E

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Captain Sim C130-E
    Posted: 27 Dec 2009 at 10:56pm
Recently purchased FSX all-in-one version of this beast during CS's latest sale. Kind of intimidating to get to hang of the whole thing...but I'm getting there.  I know we have lot of seasoned users here who swear by this plane so is there anything I should know beforehand I fly my first job with it?

Also, somewhat unrelated but the sounds seems a bit tinny.

Almost sounds like the default King Air 350. Is this normal?
brettxw View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettxw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2009 at 11:51pm
How much did you get it for, if you dont mind me asking. I've wanted to get it but the all one was 69.99 and while I have no problem spending money, just couldn't really justify 70.00 for this. Is it still on sale?
kvk1 View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2009 at 12:04am
All of their products were on sale for 9.99 for a period of 24 hours.

I first learned of it browsing the general discussion section here actually.

http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=11428
brettxw View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettxw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2009 at 12:09am
You have got to be kidding! $9.99 for the all in one!??!!?
kvk1 View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2009 at 12:24am
Oh yeah.

Believe me I had the same reaction when I first heard it.

Lazerbolt View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazerbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2009 at 2:10am
  Yea, I was stunned too when I checked out their one day sale.  I'd already bought the C-130 packs, one at a time a few months ago. I don't even want to do the math, but I paid WAY more than $9.99 for the whole package!

I LOVE the Herky-Birds, so I don't think I paid too much, but @ $9.99 it was a steal!

My only advice would be to take a couple of flights and maybe do a few touch and go's with her before flying in AH.  Its not hard to fly, but she can take a little getting used to.

I have some minor sound wonkiness too.  Its not the only plane that I've had this problem with, and its particularly noticeable in the cockpit view.  When I pull the throttle back to about 1/4 and wait a few seconds it Kinda fixes itself.

Strangely, when I pull back on the throttle while in flight, my BRAKES come on in the bottom corner of the screen, and stay on until I've landed and come to a complete stop. I've heard others mention this before, and doesn't seem to be much of a problem. (except for having to crop it out of screenshotsCool)

Good luck with the new bird, if you treat her right, she's a keeper!

see you on radar,
Lazer-
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2009 at 2:42am

The 130-E is not too hard to fly once you get used to it. 

The airspeed indicator wraps around - keep track of which turn you're on - if unsure, check the Shift+Z data.

If you need good fuel efficiency, go high.  FL350 is optimal, but it will take some patience to coax her up there if you're heavy.  You can get 340 KTAS at about 4250 pph up there. You can fly this thing 5,000 NM from an MTOW take-off if you have the time.

Plan your descents well and start down plenty early.  Getting her down from FL350 requires management.  Get familiar with the speed table for the flaps.  There's a separate limiting speed for each 10% increment.  You can use the first two at 200 KIAS or higher and that's the most efficient way down.  Pop a notch or two and pull the power back to get the rate you need.  It seems unnatural to begin using flaps that early, but it's the best method I found. It will descend in a level attitude at a respectable descent rate and airspeed that way.  If you try it without flaps you'll have two choices, overspeed it and break it, or grow old while coming down.

If you want to manage fuel the easy way, open all the valves and turn on all the pumps.  The cascading pressures of the fuel pumps will empty the tanks in the correct order. All you have to do is shut off the pumps on the empty tanks as they go become exhausted.  You are not supposed to land with ANY fuel in the external tanks.

The avionics are primitive.  For instance, there is no climb function in autopilot.  If you use the IAS mode during climb (I don't recommend it), monitor it carefully.  Climb performance will decay and you have to manage it, particularly as you get very high. 

There is no altitude preset.  It's a cruise-control altitude hold.  It will maintain the altitude you are at when you press the button.  The good news is that it does that quite well. 

There is a direct-reading TAS indicator at the navigator's station - very handy.

Landing it is the easiest part - it will make you look better than you are. 

For my money, this is the most enjoyable FS airplane I've ever used.

John Allard
captainj3 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captainj3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2009 at 4:37am
I purchased the C130 FSX and running windows 7. Loaded OK with liveries in the selected Aircraft for free flight, however, when I select any of the C130 planes it will not load ? Anyone else experience this problem? Thanks for any assistance.
Captain
jflimbach View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jflimbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2009 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by kvk1 kvk1 wrote:

Almost sounds like the default King Air 350. Is this normal?
Sounds pretty darn close to the real airplane to me.  The gear extension and retraction sounds are spot on.
John Limbach
kvk1 View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2009 at 7:48pm
Thanks a lot folks. Lots of good information.

Flew a couple jobs last night...great bird. Handles beautifully. The only problem I had was what Lazerbolt mentioned: when you retard the throttles near flight idle while in the air the brakes engage until you land on the ground. It does somewhat ruin my landings but it's not a major problem.
jflimbach View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jflimbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2009 at 9:29pm
I have also experienced the same thing with the brakes coming on (and staying on) but only when flying it in AH.  In FSX it doesn't occur.  I can hear Slopey now saying there's no connection between AH and FSX, but it is what it is.

Anyway, having the brakes on for landing is hard on the tires but little else.  Of course it's impossible to taxi but I find that if you engage and then disengage the parking brake it releases the brakes.  At least until the next time you're inflight and reduce the power to flight idle.

The airspeed indicator is a pain.  Give me the one that's in the U.S. Herc anyday.  A single needle with edge-mounted drum in the top center of the gauge for fine resolution.  Only the Brits would come up with something perverse like that.  I sometimes mistake it for an altimeter I guess because I've used a lot of altimeters that indicate the same way.  Not used to seeing it on the airspeed gauge I guess. 

The Smith's autopilot is about the same as the old clunker in the U.S. Herc.  That is to say marginally better than not having one at all.
John Limbach
BigTex View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigTex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2009 at 11:01pm

I love flying the C-130.  It's the most fun I have had with an add-on aircraft since my PMDG 747X.  What bothers me, is that I would probably never have picked it up if it weren't for the AH repaint competition.  What a great AC I would have missed out on.

Rick
kvk1 View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 3:19am
Originally posted by Lazerbolt Lazerbolt wrote:

Strangely, when I pull back on the throttle while in flight, my BRAKES come on in the bottom corner of the screen, and stay on until I've landed and come to a complete stop. I've heard others mention this before, and doesn't seem to be much of a problem. (except for having to crop it out of screenshotsCool)

Originally posted by jflimbach jflimbach wrote:

I have also experienced the same thing with the brakes coming on (and staying on) but only when flying it in AH.  In FSX it doesn't occur.  I can hear Slopey now saying there's no connection between AH and FSX, but it is what it i

So, I had an interesting "finding" on this today.

I was flying a job and FSX froze on me for 3-4 minutes or so and then decided to come back. After that I got a little paranoid and just saved the flight from Air Hauler to close FSX and restart fresh in the air.

Before the crash the brakes were on with the same throttle issue.  However after I saved, closed AH then restarted the flight the problem was gone. I could go flight idle without the brakes engaging and staying on during flight. By this point I had turned off two vital add-ons that were on pre-crash, REX's weather updates and Radar Contact, and decided to just finish the rest of the flight without them.

I don't know...maybe that might help some of you or if Slopey reads this he might have an idea of what's going on.
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 8:22am
Brakes and throttle issues are nothing to do with AH. It exerts NO control over the aircraft whatsoever. AH can't set brakes or throttle in Flight Sim. Must be something else - but it's likely to be an avionics setting particular to the C-130 which isn't set on the cold/dark start up.

If someone can send me an example of a basic C-130 saved flt file, I'll have a look.
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
kvk1 View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Slopey Slopey wrote:

Brakes and throttle issues are nothing to do with AH. It exerts NO control over the aircraft whatsoever. AH can't set brakes or throttle in Flight Sim. Must be something else - but it's likely to be an avionics setting particular to the C-130 which isn't set on the cold/dark start up.

If someone can send me an example of a basic C-130 saved flt file, I'll have a look.

I could do that.

Basically you want a flight save of the state the plane is in as soon as you begin an AH job?
PSimmo View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PSimmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2010 at 10:45am
Are the Just Flight C130 and Captain Sim C130 the same AC? I can buy the Just Flight model from Amazon for £17.00.

BigTex View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigTex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2010 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by PSimmo PSimmo wrote:

Are the Just Flight C130 and Captain Sim C130 the same AC? I can buy the Just Flight model from Amazon for £17.00.

They are the same.  The JF package has all of the CS packages bundled together.

Rick
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2010 at 5:02pm

The printed manaul in the JF package is good.  That's done by JF and is not part of the CS package.

John Allard
jflimbach View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jflimbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by allardjd allardjd wrote:

If you need good fuel efficiency, go high.  FL350 is optimal, but it will take some patience to coax her up there if you're heavy.  You can get 340 KTAS at about 4250 pph up there. You can fly this thing 5,000 NM from an MTOW take-off if you have the time.

Plan your descents well and start down plenty early.  Getting her down from FL350 requires management.  Get familiar with the speed table for the flaps.  There's a separate limiting speed for each 10% increment.  You can use the first two at 200 KIAS or higher and that's the most efficient way down.  Pop a notch or two and pull the power back to get the rate you need.  It seems unnatural to begin using flaps that early, but it's the best method I found. It will descend in a level attitude at a respectable descent rate and airspeed that way.  If you try it without flaps you'll have two choices, overspeed it and break it, or grow old while coming down.

Couple comments.  In all my years of flying "E" models, I never heard of one that would get that high.  With any load at all the "E" was pretty doggy.  Also leaked pressure quite a bit, so another limiting factor was how high you could go and still hold a 10,000 ft cabin.  Past that the crew would have to go on oxygen which nobody in their right mind would do unless it was absolutely necessary. FL250 to FL280 was about the norm for relatively long distance flights.  I suspect the H3 and later models can do over FL300 and may hold pressurization better.  The "J" model for sure can.

We ran a pressurization check on one of our "A" models the other day and at FL250 the cabin altitude was about 12,000-ft.  Since we fly under Part 91 that's OK.

One common trick to be able to maximize the pressurization is to bring the loadmaster onto the flight deck and run the cargo compartment temperature full hot.  Of course you can't do that if you have passengers.

As for the descent, pull the power back to flight idle and have the co-pilot shut off the gear warning horn.  Then descend at 250KIAS.  In the RW, to the best of my knowledge, intermediate flap settings aren't used except on certain types of airdrop missions when a postive deck angle is needed while maintaining a constant altitude.  The flaps are either UP, 50%, or 100%.

Our civil takeoff checklist for the "A" is flaps 50%, takeoff power set, release brakes.  At 60Kts the PIC gets off the nosewheel steering and takes the yoke.  Co-pilot calls V1 then Vr.  Pilot rotates and calls "Gear Up" when a positive rate of climb is achieved.  At 400 ft AGL the pilot calls for "Flaps Up" and the co-pilot sets the flap handle to "Flaps Up" and verifies that they're tracking.  On a heavy weight takeoff he may raise them in 10% increments to assure that the aircraft doesn't settle.

I've been retired from the AF for 25 years now so I"m not sure what they're doing but our procedures coincide with my old AF checklists and seem to work well.
John Limbach
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 6:23pm

John,

Far be it from me to differ with your RW experiences, which you know I have the greatest respect for. 

Mine is limited to flying the JF/CS FS9 C-130E in Cargo Pilot and AirHauler.  Everything I have to say about it comes only from that.  I'm not sure where I came up with the 35,000 service ceiling but found it somewhere.  Also, 35,000 puts it at the cabin differential pressure limit with the cabin at 10,000 feet.  I've flown this thing across the Atlantic six times in FS9 at 35,000 feet but it takes some time and patience to get it up there from a MTOW takeoff, finishing at about a 300 fpm climb rate.  It's only worth the time, fuel and trouble if you're going a long ways, of course.  I get about 340 TAS with it there at 4250 pph total, so the economy/range is pretty good. 

Looking on line for official service ceiling figures, the sites are all over the map.  I've found it listed as 33,000, 28,000 and 22,820, at least, but most don't specify the model, so it's pretty worthless information.

I've tried descending with the power all the way back to flight idle and you're forced to choose between a painfully slow descent rate (< 500 fpm) or breaking the airplane by overspeeding it (did that once - it wasn't pretty).  That happens at about 230 KIAS up where I had it, so descending at 250 as you did in the RW wouldn't be possible in the FS aircraft at that height.

The JF manual, gives a table of airspeed limits at various flap settings, including 220 KIAS at 10%, 210 @ 20%, 200 @ 30% and 190 @ 40%.  I had pretty good results with 190 KIAS and 20% flaps.  I can't remember the rate of descent, but much better than I could get with no flaps.  Maybe there's some other trick to it that I haven't picked up on.

Anyway, this is my favorite FS aircraft ever and even if it's not right on with the RW, it's great fun to haul freight with. 

Thanks for your real-world insight into this great aircraft.

John Allard
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic