This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yay, Snow is on its way.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 12:33pm
Too much power isn't relevant Slopey. You don't have to engage 1st gear and slam your foot down. Variable power is a feature of motor vehicles. You have an accelerator and gears, and the capability to vary RPM.
scampy View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

And maybe we should get more ice here, if the girls favor kinky stilettos?  Embarrassed

On some of my girlfriends back in the UK that would be quite shocking Dead

Should organise a just flight forum jolly to UNNT to see the airport and the sights. It would be an eye opener. Last years or the year befores  Miss World Studied at the university where i work and she was by far not the best looking.

Back to tyres, I like the 4x4 in the snow, the car i mentioned before i had my current vehicle was a 4x4 toyota corrolla 15 yrs old it was ace in the snow and ice, no power but 4x4 for grip normal sized road tyres, nothing special.
.......... блять
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 1:15pm

Too much power isn't relevant Slopey. You don't have to engage 1st gear and slam your foot down. Variable power is a feature of motor vehicles. You have an accelerator and gears, and the capability to vary RPM.

I don't agree - yes, you need to apply it carefully, but some cars are set up that it's really difficult to apply power in an appropriate fashion in snowy/icy conditions.

I've driven a Jag XJ8, DB7 and a BMW 5 series in those sorts of conditions, and trying to get an nice judicious application of power out of those beasts is tricky - they're set up for you to drop the hammer and leg it on the autobahn. The Jag got wrapped round a lamp post 2 weeks later (not by me!) due to ice and misapplication of power on a roundabout.

Having an under, or low powered car makes life so much easier as there's only so much power you can put out anyway - so pop it in second and head off smoothly, and bobs your uncle.
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 1:28pm
but some cars are set up

You didn't say 'some cars' though did you. You said...

No 4x4 though, and too much power, and you're into schtop! schtop! land.

It was a general statement.

I'm sure there are cars out there that are crummy in many respects. Just as there are many cars out there with abundant power that drive well in the snow. I have never driven a jag, but I have driven rear wheel drive cars in the past with equivalent power and no issue in snow in regard to power delivery, issues due to rear wheel drive yes. but not graduated power delivery.

Your Jag/BMW had a clutch didn't it? In which case balancing the clutch is an option, or was it an auto? In which case the statement should be changed to automatics are tricky in the snow.

so pop it in second and head off smoothly, and bobs your uncle.

So if it's a powerful car with loads of torque, pop it in 3rd and bobs your uncle. With that much torque 4th is probably also an option.

If you had said originally that 'some' cars with a lot of power can be tricky in the snow no one would have disputed that. 

The Jag got wrapped round a lamp post 2 weeks later (not by me!) due to ice and misapplication of power on a roundabout.

Can happen to anyone, happened to me in a puny 1.6 Fiesta one boxing day. Smile

Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 2:07pm
Can happen to anyone, happened to me in a puny 1.6 Fiesta one boxing day. Smile

Too much Eggnog whilst talking on your mobile phone, no doubt...
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 2:23pm
Ok, ok, ok,   some cars....

happy?
AirHauler Developer
767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 6:38pm

Show off!

I have a bad weather symbol too... trouble is, all mine does is demist the rear screen. Big%20smile
Same here ( aint our cars cool!! Big%20smile ), but i also have a * come up on my dashboard, when my outside temperature reading says 3C or under.
In Kontrol View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote In Kontrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 6:50pm
(gets on his mountain bike and powers up the hill)

SEE YA!! Evil%20Smile
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Slopey Slopey wrote:

Ok, ok, ok,   some cars....

happy?

No, I want your plane, your house and your wife too. Wink

And you can clean out your bank account while your at it.
SimUK View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 11:55am
Is it snowing where you are?  http://uksnow.benmarsh.co.uk/  - probably the best use I've seen of Twitter yet, although a little difficult to see the dots at some zoom levels on the map.

If you're on Twitter, Tweet #uksnow followed by the start of your postcode and amount of snow.

eg: #uksnow PE29 0/10
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 12:02pm
Quote probably the best use I've seen of Twitter yet,

What an excellent example of just how rubbish Twitter is Clap

Wink
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 12:04pm

Originally posted by Slopey Slopey wrote:

Ok, ok, ok,   some cars.... happy?

No, I want your plane, your house and your wife too. Wink

And you can clean out your bank account while your at it.

Hmmm, I can do you a deal on the wife??? Couple of kids too if that'll sweeten it?
AirHauler Developer
SimUK View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by RAS RAS wrote:

Quote probably the best use I've seen of Twitter yet,

What an excellent example of just how rubbish Twitter is Clap

Wink

Only other time I found Twitter "useful" was when I saw that Michael Jackson had died (was pretty much all 10 trending topics) before the news reported it.

But yes, not fully convinced about the use of Twitter just yet...
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 12:33pm
Excellent. What did you do with those 8 extra minutes of being in the know? I hope you put them to good use.
CyprusAirwaysA330 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyprusAirwaysA330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 12:50pm
Snowing here now, been so since about 10:30. Starting to stick to the ground, the garden is covered.   
FSaddict View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 1:01pm
Snowing here Big%20smile
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 1:03pm
No snow here - too warm. Pfffffft.

I require 2 feet of snow by the weekend - I have sledges!!!
AirHauler Developer
767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 1:05pm
not snowing here, RAINING! Yet my car says it is -0.5 to -1.5, very cold, and i don't pity my colleagues who are working, as i am off for a week!

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 1:57pm
In my never ending endeavor to save dosh... I have my heating OFF! Shocked

It was on this morning for a few hours and has been off since 9:00.

Actually, the house is only just begging to get chilly now, at 13:54. and that was with all the heat loss due to the Sky engineer coming in and out. 

No snow in Solihull. However, we are very posh, so if we wanted it, we would demand it and get it. Big%20smile

I'm off to make arrangements to transport Slopeys wife to my premises now... bye.
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 1:59pm
Quote I'm off to make arrangements to transport Slopeys wife to my premises now

You might be able to find a cheap one of these on Ebay:

Sorry Duncan Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
  Share Topic