This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yay, Snow is on its way.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2009 at 2:38am
 I love the snow, but by march I hate it. I never understood why all the buses stopped working last feb. they are heavy enough to not need snow tyres. And the airports closed

How long will the cold period stay for? If its more than a few days of constantly being below its a really bad idea to use grit, the snow melts nicely and forms really beautiful pools of ice. Use sand instead. If it drops below - 15 in the night be carefull when you warm your car in the morning dont direct the heaters at the car window until the inside of the car is a little warm because it will crack your windscreen. And the final snow tip is simple before you leave your car at night lift your windscreen wipers away from the windscreeen it makes clearing the snow much easier.

I remember watching videos of people playing in the snow last feb, not one person was wearing a hat !!!!

.......... блять
Dambuster View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dambuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2009 at 2:54am
Love snow too, have driven a front wheel drive Golf GTI, a REAR wheel drive Dodge Charger (my current car) and at normal speeds, just need to anticipate longer breaking distances. NEVER got stuck with either of those cars. We get much more serious snow than you guys too.
All you need is good snow tires, doesn't matter if it's front or rear wheel drive or all wheel drive, it's about grip. Personal preference is Michelin X-Ice.
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2009 at 7:28am
Nothing beats a Volvo 340 with 3 three breeze blocks in the boot directly over the back axle! I used to power up hills in two inches of snow watching everyone else going backwards!

Although I've just realised I don't have a handbrake in the new car (one of those new fangled button things), so that'll curb my enjoyment of the snow this time around!
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2009 at 8:49am
You can risk it, but you've got to know your limits.

And the cars limits.

I don't have a handbrake

A few years ago, I attempted a turn in a road, but slid in the snow and ended up with locked wheels and car going straight ahead. As quick as a flash, I applied the handbrake and spun around, pointing in exactly the direction I wanted to go. To the casual observer, it would have looked impressive, but in reality it was a sheer fluke. Big%20smile

Applying the handbrake in snow or especially ice, can be very very dangerous, so beware.

When us 4x4 drivers get to laugh at the little 'enviromentaly friendly' boxes

Shocked So finally magic Man, you admit that your planet killing machine is environmentally unfriendly.

You certainly do have an advantage with those massive tyres and four wheel drive, but you would be suprised how well my little Fietsa drives in the snow.

There are tricks that can be employed. Time and time again you see people stuck in snow with wheals spinning. A higher gear and less revs works best. It's even possible [as the more experienced drivers will know] to rock back and forth, first a forward gear and then reverse as many times as necessary. Also, as you are attempting to get out of snow, rapidly turning the wheel left and right can work. Failing that, get out with a shovel. Big%20smile

it's about grip

Very true Damnsnowbuster. We marvel at how other European countries cope in the snow, but they get it all the time and are equipped to handle it. Both in terms of roads, cars and driving technique.

scampy View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2009 at 10:25am
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

it's about grip

Dont forget a little momentum aswell.

You would be surprised that people here arent as prepared as you think. Dont get me wrong the snow ploughs are ready and everything is good to go early october, people have their snow tires ready on a spare set of wheels, but they dont put them on until it snows. The first day of snow is usually a surprise with many crashes, i think they actually call it tin mans day. But generally if you get stuck someone will help you out without any problems its normal and an everyday thing for people.
Its not the law here, but i think in Finland its illegal to drive without snow tires in winter.

This will break all the hearts of the environmentalists but we have special car alarms which when the temperature outside drops below -15 the car will start itself every hour to keep warm. Its quite surprising to walk down the street and cars are randomly starting takes me back to night rider.

My last car didnt have such an alarm, when the temp drops below -20 i had to go and start the car every few hours through the night. Once a friend caught me in summer adding water as coolant for the engine, I got a stiff talking to and made to flush the whole system. Id forgotten about winter.

.......... блять
dale_tem View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dale_tem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2009 at 11:02am

My car alarm had a similar feature. I used to wake up and start the car from my bedroom, get washed, have breakfast etc. and go out to a warm car. I loved it!!!

Dale
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2009 at 11:09am
Dont forget a little momentum aswell.

Hence the rocking back and forth I mentioned.

In terms of actaully driving, traction/grip is vital.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2009 at 11:12am
Originally posted by dale_tem dale_tem wrote:

My car alarm had a similar feature. I used to wake up and start the car from my bedroom, get washed, have breakfast etc. and go out to a warm car. I loved it!!!

What's the legality of that though?

I think it's not illegal as long as it's on your drive. Pretty sure it's illegal on a public road though.
dale_tem View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dale_tem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2009 at 11:23am
Its illegal to leave a car running unattended, but as its controlled by the alarm its attended.

As soon as anything hampened to the car it turned off, it couldn't be started in gear, it had to be primed while the engine was running and the car is locked with the engine running, then the alarm turns the engine off. If the alarm is activated whle the engine is running, the engine is turned off, if a window was left open or the car was unlocked, any pedal touched would cause the car to cut out, so it was 'smart' therefore it was attended. (A court ruled that it was attended using this system in the UK)

But mine was on my drive.
Dale
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2009 at 11:29am
Oh right. Which system was that?
scampy View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2009 at 11:32am
Originally posted by dale_tem dale_tem wrote:

My car alarm had a similar feature. I used to wake up and start the car from my bedroom, get washed, have breakfast etc. and go out to a warm car.

Its great, but in reality with the temp detector in the alarm the car is already warm when you come to it, it actually saves about 20 mins of sitting in a freezing cold car while it warms up, and it saves the engine from the wear of a cold start. There are no rules about unattended starting here.

.......... блять
dale_tem View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dale_tem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2009 at 11:33am
Clifford Concept 100 alarm (this was a G4 alarm) with Intellistart

Intellistart did remove thatcham rating from thatcham alarms though.

Here is the page on the clifford site

Dale
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2009 at 12:26pm

Shocked So finally magic Man, you admit that your planet killing machine is environmentally unfriendly.

You certainly do have an advantage with those massive tyres and four wheel drive, but you would be suprised how well my little Fietsa drives in the snow.

Currently reading 32.2mpg on the trip.

We used to have a Fiesta (went through several) and had one when we had the last 'deep' snow back in the mid nineties. It managed quite well but you wouldn't want to try the hills around us in snow unless you had to.

Yep, 4x4 is really what you need in the snow... plus a little dial on the centre console with a * snow symbol to set the drive parameters accordingly Smile 
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2009 at 3:52pm
Show off!

I have a bad weather symbol too... trouble is, all mine does is demist the rear screen. Big%20smile
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2009 at 11:17pm
You don't want big tyres as that tends to imply big overpowered car which will be useless. Something like a Beamer or Jag is just pointless in any decent snow.

The best car I ever drove in snow (aside from my beloved V340) was an early Fiat Punto. Tiny little thin wheels but it could chop through the deep stuff no problem.

However, the rest of the car was so offensive I wrote it off on a parked truck in Fochabers (the day before I had to hand it back to the hire company - whoops!).

Best £500 excess I've ever spent!
AirHauler Developer
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 12:59am
Originally posted by Slopey Slopey wrote:

You don't want big tyres as that tends to imply big overpowered car which will be useless.
Unless those big tyres are all driven - in what way can a car be 'overpowered'...?

Something like a Beamer or Jag is just pointless in any decent snow.

Obviously, but that's because they are 2 wheel drive, heavy and don't have much clearance.

A BMW X3/5/6 would be fine.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 9:44am

Yes magic is right, the fact a BMW and Jag have big tyres isn't relevant. It's the fact they are 2 wheel and rear wheel drive that is the limiting factor. Big as in weight is also an advantage not a disadvantage. As for power, you don't have to use that power if it's not appropriate fro the conditions. Cars don't have one power capability they have many. It’s also worth remembering that modern BMW's and Jags have traction control ESP etc, improving the scenario greatly

Yes, the preference is big tyres for snow. Traction is the name of the game, and as magic said, if all 4 wheels are driven all the better.

It's the difference between standing in the snow in stilettos, and standing in the snow in snow shoes, more surface area.

Big cars, more weight, hence greater pressure on the ground is an advantage in terms of traction. Add big tyres and 4 wheel drive and you are in business. Precisely why of road vehicles are designed that way.

scampy View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 12:21pm

It's the difference between standing in the snow in stilettos, and standing in the snow in snow shoes, more surface area.

Although you are right about the surface area, the women here tend to wear stilleto boots becaue they cut into the ice and hold rather than slide around on the top of the ice.   I love fur coats and boots........ I mean i love to see fur coats and boots....

.......... блять
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 12:24pm
That's ice though, not snow. Smile

And maybe we should get more ice here, if the girls favor kinky stilettos?  Embarrassed
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 12:27pm
Quote Add big tyres and 4 wheel drive and you are in business. Precisely why of road vehicles are designed that way.

Yeah - obviously, if you have 4x4, and huge tyres, you're set.

No 4x4 though, and too much power, and you're into schtop! schtop! land.
AirHauler Developer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
  Share Topic