This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Real World Aviation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boeing 747-8

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptCosslett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 8:52am
It is called raked wingtips
CyprusAirwaysA330 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyprusAirwaysA330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 8:33pm
The 77W, 77L and 77F also have them, as well as the A350.
johnsmithfsx View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnsmithfsx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 9:52pm
Ah. What do they do for aerodynamics and performance?
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyprusAirwaysA330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 10:31pm
Reduce fuel burn.  I don't know if they affect handling much, I would guess not really.
CaptCosslett View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptCosslett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2010 at 5:32pm
748-8%20landing

Well it looks like I was wrong, thought there was a good chance of the 747-8 flying today.
FSaddict View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2010 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by CaptCosslett CaptCosslett wrote:

748-8%20landing

Well it looks like I was wrong, thought there was a good chance of the 747-8 flying today.

...in photoshop .
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptCosslett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 9:00pm
The latest on the 747-8 program, not much news onthe first flight though.

VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 10:41pm
Winglets can have a dramatic effect on handling, especially at low speed. On the Fokker 50 they make the difference between having roll control and not having roll control! Without them the ailerons stall.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyprusAirwaysA330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 9:57pm
Very interesting Vulcan, I've flown many times on the Fokker, yet never noticed they have winglets.
Hot_Charlie View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot_Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by VulcanB2 VulcanB2 wrote:

On the Fokker 50 they make the difference between having roll control and not having roll control! Without them the ailerons stall.

That's not strictly true, as the basic wing of the Fokker 50 is that of the Fokker 27, which didn't have the upturned wingtips.

I suspect it does have certain efficiency benefits for a fairly basic inefficient straight wing design though.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 3:00pm
Quote That's not strictly true

My info comes directly from guys who flew it.

Without the winglets, the aircraft is uncontrollable in roll at low speed.

The wing is *based* on the F-27, yes, but it is quite different.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptCosslett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 8:47pm

Winglets can have a dramatic effect on handling, especially at low speed. On the Fokker 50 they make the difference between having roll control and not having roll control! Without them the ailerons stall.

Best regards,
Vulcan.

How do I answer this ?

Firstly ailerons do not stall, it that part of the wing that stalls(forward of the ailerons). If you have a look at the wing design on light aircraft(Post 1940's), the angle of incidence is greater inboard of the wing. Therefore the inboard part of the wing stalls first, but the outer part of the wing is still flying, giving aileron control as the angle of incidence is less. Also known as washout, sorry have I not explained in detail. Will find a link to explain fully.

James
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptCosslett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 8:54pm
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptCosslett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 9:10pm
Buy your front tickets now to see the 747-8 first flight. Must be be close now.

Hot_Charlie View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot_Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 10:20pm

Quote That's not strictly true

My info comes directly from guys who flew it.

Without the winglets, the aircraft is uncontrollable in roll at low speed.

The wing is *based* on the F-27, yes, but it is quite different.

Not convinced at all. For a start it wouldn't get certified. They'll improve the handling yes, but to be uncontrollable? They really must've been using a figure of speech as opposed to talking literally.

As for the wing, from what I can gather, aerodynamically it is identical other than the mounting for the (different) engines, and the endplates.

johnsmithfsx View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnsmithfsx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by CaptCosslett CaptCosslett wrote:

Buy your front tickets now to see the 747-8 first flight. Must be be close now.

Hahaha! I love how simple they made things .

very informative
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic