This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FS dead for good?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2009 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

Dan, provocative statement no, fact yes. The core sim is without doubt archaic. Smile 

I completely agree with all that you have said, but some people will ignore facts if they find them emotionally troubling. (See Study Demonstrates How We Support Our False Beliefs). Since most of us do look at flight simulation with some emotion, there are going to be a few people who, since they may find the factual information upsetting, will retain false beliefs so that those false beliefs can be used for emotional crutches - even when the facts are staring them in the face. The fact that the person presenting the facts is knowledgeable is something such people don't want to know. If such people don't know, they won't make any attempt to find out. Even a statement that is not meant to provoke at all can be viewed as provocative by such people. With a world filled with so many people like that, it's little wonder so many of us want to hop into a flight simulator aircraft and fly off!  Wink

- GONE FLYING -

Dan

737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2009 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

Either way, the fact that you seem dissatisfied with FSX is amusing to say the least

Well I am Chris. Wink Glad we amuse you. Smile

Flight sim is based on archaic coding, that MS bolted new bits to [that it could barely handle] at each incarnation. I know we are obsessed with it and spend inordinate amounts of time and money on it [becuse there's nothing better] but it is crap really. Wink

What a stupid reply. . . .

Essentially you just said " I am dissatisfied with it " but in another post you say " We all love flight sim " and "and spend inordinate amounts of time and money on it " then call it crap . . . .  I dont think you have ever said something as stupid.

Anyway, my point is FSX will be around for years to come providing endless hours of enjoyment.  FSX (I beleive, read it on the internet so its probably wrong)  Still has the same base coding as FS98 but with a few tweaks here and there, instead of giving it deserving attention.  But with all these modern PCs its pretty much fine all round!

I know Im happy with FSX, dont know about you guys.
Generic forum signature
Dambuster View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dambuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2009 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by 737Chris 737Chris wrote:

Originally posted by Dambuster Dambuster wrote:

How's that ridiculous?

First of all. . . .Dont assume that just because the ACES team disbanded there will not be any future Flight Sim. although obviously it wont be "Microsoft's Flight Sim."  You do realise they have re-grouped, although because they no longer have the funding from MS it could take years and years to make, if they're making one at all.

"there is no other FS planned for the moment."

Your own words Wink

Either way, the fact that you seem dissatisfied with FSX is amusing to say the least, it also amuses me that despite the fact people are only just managing to run all settings maxed out with i7 systems, you are still looking for the next best thing!

Anyway, like you said, after 20 years of development, thats pretty damn good if you ask me.

Why didn't you say that in the first place instead of saying this topic is ridiculous? That's the bit of information I was interested in...

Also, what makes you think that because the new hardware is mildly capable of running the sim at high settings that it's attractive? Why is software that requires a huge amount of processing power so interesting?

I don't know how on earth this topic turned into "I'm not happy with FSX" it was just an inquiry really.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2009 at 9:56am
there are going to be a few people who, since they may find the factual information upsetting, will retain false beliefs so that those false beliefs can be used for emotional crutches - even when the facts are staring them in the face. The fact that the person presenting the facts is knowledgeable is something such people don't want to know.

I would agree with that. And typifies the response of the global warming skeptic's. Sorry to mention global warming. Big%20smile
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2009 at 10:10am
Quote What a stupid reply. . . .

Essentially you just said " I am dissatisfied with it " but in another post you say " We all love flight sim " and "and spend inordinate amounts of time and money on it " then call it crap . . . .  I dont think you have ever said something as stupid.

Thanks for the kind response Chris, don't remember being told i was stupid before.

We do all love flight sim, simply because it's the only viable commercial simulator for the entire world. We also find it 'somewhat acceptable, because we have now spent a considerable amount of money making it look better, and spent a considerable amount of money on hardware that compensates for it's inefficient coding.

I love it's function, but I am dissatisfied with it's aesthetics.

It's called a love/hate relationship. Wink

But to an unbiased observer, it's poo! and if I set aside my own bias and look at it objectively, in comparison to other software that does not rely on archaic legacy code, it's poo.

We are biased, we are comercial aviation entusiasts, we are bound to favour it and put up with the shimers, bluries, pop up autogen, default flight issue, lack of anti aliasing without downloading a third party GPU control panel, etc, etc.

To make it clearer for you, no I don't love the sim, not objectively, but it's the only option so I have no choice but to habituate, block out the irritating issues like shimmers and stuttering, and focus on the function rather than the aesthetics.

you can apologize for telling me I'm stupid now. Wink And so close to Christmas. ShockedSmile

twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2009 at 10:27am
I think the fact that FSX came out in 2006 yet it's only in 2009 that computers powerful enough to run it properly hit the market shows how inefficiently coded it is!  Sorry Chris, but this time I am 100% with Martin on this one.
Kind regards,
Tom
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2009 at 12:25pm
I think Chris should read Dan's post's. Big%20smile
737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2009 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by twright twright wrote:

I think the fact that FSX came out in 2006 yet it's only in 2009 that computers powerful enough to run it properly hit the market shows how inefficiently coded it is!  Sorry Chris, but this time I am 100% with Martin on this one.

I know the coding is stupid, I said that, But Martin keeps going on about how he can run FSX brilliantly on an overclocked dual core let alone an i7. 
Everybody is missing my point, it didnt have the attention it deserved from Microsoft, I have suffered just as much as everybody else trying to run it, I only got a powerful enough PC a couple of months ago remember, but when you get to play it on high settings its great!
Its all very well complaining about something that none of us were involved in making. 

Martin - I didnt call you stupid did I Wink

Dambuster - "Also, what makes you think that because the new hardware is mildly capable of running the sim at high settings that it's attractive? Why is software that requires a huge amount of processing power so interesting? "

Read what I have said again.  I completely agree with its flaws, but when you finally get to fly around in this HUGE world with wonderful terrain etc. I think its great.
Generic forum signature
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2009 at 5:36pm
I know the coding is stupid, I said that, But Martin keeps going on about how he can run FSX brilliantly on an overclocked dual core let alone an i7. 

Chris, I don't quite now why you don't get this, it's simple enough. Smile

I can run FSX brilliantly on my E6700... in terms of frames per second, I rarely see below 40, but I have overclocked to do that, both my CPU and GPU. we have also highlighted in this thread, how our increased processing power has enabled us to do that.

And I have relatively low settings. Others have high FPS too, because they have powerful machines. But that doesn't negate for me, the aspects that irritate me. Theres more to a sim than frames per second.

The previous discussions you refer to were in regard to performance, FPS, not visual splendor, or the bugs still in the sim.  

I'm sure also that you realize, that when I say it's poo, I mean in terms of how it appears visually.

I'm sure you realize how even on powerful hardware it can stutter, requiring the buffer pool tweak, or the third party frame rate limiter [because the FSX frame rate limiter is broken], how even with high AA settings trees shimmer,  how after SP2 aces reintroduced the pop up aspect of Autogen, etc, etc.

This stuff is easy, unless I'm unwittingly typing in Chinese.

Everybody is missing my point, it didnt have the attention it deserved from Microsoft, I have suffered just as much as everybody else trying to run it, I only got a powerful enough PC a couple of months ago remember, but when you get to play it on high settings its great!

And you are missing our point! We have subjective opinions, I have no issue with you having yours, just as you should allow us our subjective opinion... that we aren't enamored with the sim.

Glad you like it, I don't. Wink Even on high settings there are still aspects of the sim I don't like, I have mentioned some of them above. I dislike the pop up Autogen. I dislike many aspects of the sim that have remained un fixed by Microsoft. I won't go into the aspects I don't like again because I have already done so several times.

But... I  ignore such things, put them to the back of my mind, habituate,  because it's the only sim I have access to.

it's called a subjective opinion, great that you love it, I'm pleased for you.... me, I  put up with the dodgy bits.

Its all very well complaining about something that none of us were involved in making.

Yes it is, we paid a lot of money for it and are still paying money in an attempt to turn it into the sim we really want. Wink

I can't put this in a way thats any easier for you to grasp I'm afraid. I would imagine the others understand perfectly.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2009 at 5:55pm
Martin - I didnt call you stupid did I Wink

You said... 'What a stupid reply. . . .'

A stupid reply comes form an individual, so the individuals mind, that generated that reply must have behaved stupidly at that moment. Shocked

But I still love you.  Heart

737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2009 at 6:26pm
Well you know more than me about these things. . . . Im just saying I enjoy it, regardless of its structual problems .

Generic forum signature
dale_tem View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dale_tem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2009 at 8:01pm
I was just wondering how many people in this thread are software developers?

I always love reading comments like its slow due to poor coding, yet people don't code or have a clue about what has changed over the years. You also have no idea what coding has been replaced over the years. There is only so far coding can go before it needs replacing and seeing how things have changed since FS4 (my first version), there is no way the same code can exist for various parts.

If you look at the history on how fsx has grown over the years, you will realise that each version adds a lot more realism and depth which takes more processing than people realise.

It comes down to 1 question....

Are you a PC pilot or are you a real pilot flying on a computer.

Most of the issues/problems people have with FSX are due to missing things from the real world, that the average PC pilot wouldn't notice.

On big thing I noticed on there wish list was that runways wouldn't be flat/level, they can be on a hill etc.

With every FS program, I have never had a PC able to run it at full detail etc. until it had been out for a good few years. FS5 I think i had around 5 frames per second with all the detail up when taking off from Chicago Fields (or whatever the default airport was called that is no longer there)
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2009 at 11:39am
Hi,

Seems we have a philosopher on the forums! Big%20smile

It is certainly true that FSX has more than a few flaws, but as Martin said - we fly it because there is nothing better.

I will say that on the usability front, MS did a good job, but in terms of it being a sim - the flight model hasn't changed since FS98, and is seriously dated. Considering this is a flight simulator, they have neglected the heart of it in favor of flashy graphics.

I'm pleased MS disbanded ACES - FSX was heading in a direction that it wasn't suited for - unrealistic arcade style gaming, not serious flight simulation. We caught a nasty glimpse of what might have been in the missions MS provided.

FSX has a lot wrong with it. For a start, it's very slow. Second, very buggy, and in some cases, poorly coded and shows a lack of knowledge on the part of the programmer.

MS did not properly model an atmosphere, which when you look at it, is not so hard to do, and what we do have could be improved with a little bit of thought. Mach and ground speed calculations are wrong, so you can't even use it for basic yet realistic instrument flying (this stems from the fact that the FS world is physically too small).

Whilst FSX introduced a spherical earth model, MS totally neglected every other aspect of the sim. The weather system is still based on the cylindrical model, and this is evidenced North of N60°/South of S60°.

The only thing that save FS IMHO is the systems modelling that goes on in advanced airliners (LevelD 767, DreamFleet 727, LSH MD-82, Concorde), and photoscenery for VFR flyers.

Unfortunately though - the very thing that puts  the "sim" in Flight Simulator is over a decade old.

Falcon 4 still holds the crown for flight modelling, performance and systems depth, and is rivalled by DCS:BS which does for helicopters what Falcon does for fast jets.

Rise of Flight focused far too much on the graphics and not enough on the flyability. It's allegedly excellent flight model is unflyable as the sim runs so poorly on good hardware.

FS2004 is as good as FSX for systems modelling, but not as good as FSX for the virtual cockpit. If MS hadn't wasted their effort on the earth, and instead focused on the heart of the flight simulator, they would be in a better position than they are now.

The other thing to remember is MS are now dedicated to consoles. They can produce games more cheaply (less expertise required) and can sell more units (thus making larger profits for the shareholders). It ultimately comes down to money.

As for your original question - real flight sims are such a nieche market, that people would rather invest their time in serious flight simulators for money than for fun. There is little real difference in the effort required, but a huge difference in the gains to be had.

Keep an eye on Eagle Dynamics ( http://www.eagle.ru/ ). They've got some great projects in the pipeline.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2009 at 1:44pm
I always love reading comments like its slow due to poor coding, yet people don't code or have a clue about what has changed over the years. You also have no idea what coding has been replaced over the years.

Dale... this is not speculation, this is a well know fact. The core sim you use and love is basically the original sim, with additions and tweaks each incarnation. Developers highlight this frequently, and they do 'code'. This stuff is not new. Developers have to find ways round the sims shortcomings, the 'legacy code' as they put it, frequently.

I base this on the opinion of those that do code for the sim.

I believe it was one of the Aces team that said to take the sim any further would require a completely new sim from the ground up.

The following from Pointy is well known...

Unfortunately though - the very thing that puts  the "sim" in Flight Simulator is over a decade old.

737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2009 at 12:50am
Sorry to cut in again, does anybody know whether that other sim. . . I think it was Aerosoft were develping ?   Do you know if its becoming a reality ?

Generic forum signature
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 11:34pm
I think it's in the very early concept stage, no idea if it will come to fruition, early days yet. Smile
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 11:34pm
Quote yet people don't code or have a clue about what has changed over the years.

Dale - before making generalizations such as this, do a search. I am (for example) on the development team of the AirSimmer A320 for example, and Beta Tester for several other major developers. I also own an IT company that develops....software (and I mean low-level stuff such as drivers written in pure assembler for example).

That is not to mention other devs here who develop for FS, etc..

If you wrote software, you'd appreciate that most major software is built upon previous versions, and not re-written from scratch.

Quote Sorry to cut in again, does anybody know whether that other sim. . . I think it was Aerosoft were develping ?   Do you know if its becoming a reality ?

They're trying. We have to wait and see what the result is though.

Vulcan.
Neil Porter View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Porter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 10:34am
I think threads like this are important - if nothing else they will help Aerosoft realise what we want in a next-gen flightsim, and the fact that there are people out there who will pay for something that really cuts it!

I am only just at the stage of investing in FSX (having just ordered an i7 system), so donlt disillusion me too much......

Neil

PS - Martin mentioned global warming - interesting to read that the gradual repair in the Antarctic ozone layer hole will make global warming worse, and put my house under 50m of seawater. Get out those CFC aerosols again guys (perhaps I need to get a submarine sim too!!!!!!)Wink
dale_tem View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dale_tem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by VulcanB2 VulcanB2 wrote:

Dale - before making generalizations such as this, do a search. I am (for example) on the development team of the AirSimmer A320 for example, and Beta Tester for several other major developers. I also own an IT company that develops....software (and I mean low-level stuff such as drivers written in pure assembler for example).

If you wrote software, you'd appreciate that most major software is built upon previous versions, and not re-written from scratch.

Vulcan.

I am a director of a software development company (market leaders in our field) and we at this moment in time are taking the bold step in rewritting our software, this is putting our development back around 3 years. There is only so far code should go, before it becomes obsolete, our core program is 10 years old and is our limiting factor. So I do understand.

I just find it odd that MS haven't updated basic obvious parts for so long.

Dale
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 12:47am
Quote I just find it odd that MS haven't updated basic obvious parts for so long.

That is entirely the problem with MS. Vista was a good reason to do it - Win 7 is just a big bug fix.

Apple did a massive code review - and trimmed over 6 Gb from the OS. I'm not sure MS went even this far. Ouch

Best regards,
Vulcan.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic