This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I'm Sill Alive !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm Sill Alive !
    Posted: 24 Nov 2009 at 2:46pm
. . . .because I didnt go in. . . . Cry Cry Cry

The prospect of being put on contract is just not worth the thought

Because my parents have hearts of steel they couldnt care less about me getting told off and put on contract "its your own fault!" (I completely agree with them TBH) I had to demand that I wouldnt be going in, this has now pretty much ended my life with my parents BUT Id rather be killed at home, than at college.Wink

Anyway it worked, so I'm sitting here on the Justflight forum letting you all know Im safe and sound, making good progress with this essay and relaxed in the knowledge that it will be handed in tomorrow Smile

What I have learnt.

• Keep damn copies !  Looking back I feel a complete idiot ! especially for not checking my sent box.

• Double check due in dates in future.

Thanks very much for all your support yesterday ! . It was very reassuring that I am not the only one who has had such luck.

Also, good luck to all those who are re-sitting A-Levels this Jan.  I am re-sitting a Geog and Law paper. . . .more stress haha.

Thanks again.

Generic forum signature
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2009 at 4:28pm

My parent's wouldn't like it either, but it's what i'd do!

To be honest if he wanted it on the 20th and it's now the 24th I don't see what difference one day will make anyway!  You technically haven't done anything wrong - post 16 years of age it's no longer a legal requirement to attend school, so you're not in danger of being 'done' law-wise.  As long as you don't make a habit of it I think it was a reasonable decision!
Kind regards,
Tom
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2009 at 5:20pm
Good decision!  I would have done the same.
737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2009 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by twright twright wrote:

My parent's wouldn't like it either, but it's what i'd do!

To be honest if he wanted it on the 20th and it's now the 24th I don't see what difference one day will make anyway! 

One, no. But its actually going to be 5 days WinkTongue

haha unfortunately, although I cant get in trouble with the law. . . in the cops and judges sense, I can get kicked out of college which to me is just as bad. 

Im not far from done now, 2 more hours or so.  (its a very big essay. . .)

Yeah I think it was the better desicion, fingers crossed.
Generic forum signature
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2009 at 5:50pm
Ah you'll be fine!

I'm so glad I picked a set of subjects that don't require essays!
Kind regards,
Tom
737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2009 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by twright twright wrote:

Ah you'll be fine!

I'm so glad I picked a set of subjects that don't require essays!
haha I wish I had ! DeadTongue
Did you say you're resitting some things in Jan. Tom ?  I was wondering how you're coping at the moment ?
Generic forum signature
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2009 at 6:03pm
*SIGH* oh don't! .  Yeah i'm resitting Maths Core 2 and Physics Electrons, Waves and Photons (both are the June papers).  The maths I can deal with but I HATE Physics!  Revision for both last year's and this year's units is too much really.  I don't understand any of it - mind you neither does the teacher so i'm not alone!
Kind regards,
Tom
737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2009 at 6:09pm

Haha this might sound strange but I'm glad to hear that.  I am absolutely terrible and the electronics side of Physics as well, I thought i was the only one. . . . My teacher isnt particualy bad but hes very ecentric so learning is. . . . .hard . . . . .

I wish you all the best Tom, Im sure we can get through this!
Generic forum signature
Aircraft Aviation View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aircraft Aviation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2009 at 6:18pm
Glad to hear you're not dead!Tongue

twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2009 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by 737Chris 737Chris wrote:

Haha this might sound strange but I'm glad to hear that.  I am absolutely terrible and the electronics side of Physics as well, I thought i was the only one. . . . My teacher isnt particualy bad but hes very ecentric so learning is. . . . .hard . . . . .

I wish you all the best Tom, Im sure we can get through this!

Yeah know exactly how you feel!  My teacher's a nice enough bloke but he's clueless, he actually asks the students whether he's right or not!  I'm lousy at revision too.  I've never been able to get on with revision at home, I always end up getting distracted by something or other - the forum, something good on TV, Flight Sim etc!  What with this new computer coming in a couple of weeks I can't see much revision getting done at all!  I'm screwed!
Kind regards,
Tom
737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2009 at 6:39pm
Thanks AA !Big%20smile

I know exactly what you mean with revision, I cant do it that well, although Im good at college in the library
I think my dad will take a part my computer if i dont revise ! haha 
Generic forum signature
icudan View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Suspended

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icudan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2009 at 11:19pm
Nice to see you are still alive, I've learnt that lesson aswell! At work i have a filing cabinet, i keep everything filed for 4 weeks and then throw it away!

Good luck on your retakes.
737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2009 at 11:37pm

Haha, I think I should get a filing cabinet with hard copies in it as well, just to be safe !

ThanksSmile
Generic forum signature
Kelvin_C-J View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelvin_C-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2009 at 11:49pm
I've got my first Modules in January for Maths and Physics..

I'll be blunt.. I'll be very happy if I get anything over a U !

Soo much harder than GCSE!!

It's crazy - they give you 2 years at GCSE to learn 'normal' stuff, yet, @ AS / A2, they give you 6 months, to learn 'hard' stuff.

I'm also easily distracted.

I hadn' a clue what to do in my Physics paper this morning!

One question was:

1/t(squared)=(g/3x(squared))h-R.

From this, take X to be the value in figure 1.1 ( X= 0.90m) and calculate the acceleration due to free fall, g, on the object.

Use your gradient (h) (derived from earlier question) and X to calculate it.

R is a constant value.
Best Regards,
Kelvin Chilvers-Jones

twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2009 at 2:13pm
Oh AS Mechanics (OCR G481) is the easy one!  You wait 'til G482 Electrons, Waves & Photons and then at A2 the Newtonian World stuff on Circular Motion, Gas Laws, Capacitance and Nuclear Physics!  It's absolutely mind boggling!  Frankly, people doing GCSE's don't know how lucky they are!
Kind regards,
Tom
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2009 at 2:33pm
Kelvin, I can help you with that if you want, but could you draw the equation instead?
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Kelvin_C-J View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelvin_C-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2009 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by Odai Odai wrote:

Kelvin, I can help you with that if you want, but could you draw the equation instead?

Odai, I found out how to do it by virtue of the evaluation paper.

It said it as g = gradient x 3 x(0.90)squared.

They got 9.94 ms-1 as the acceleration.

Best Regards,
Kelvin Chilvers-Jones

twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2009 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Kelvin_C-J Kelvin_C-J wrote:

They got 9.94 ms-1 as the acceleration.

Which makes sense, as anything in freefall will have a downward acceleration of 9.81ms^-2 (which is the gravitational force on Earth).  As long as it's within an acceptable margin of this value it's fine, because in experimental conditions it's not going to be a perfectly 'fair test'.
Kind regards,
Tom
FSaddict View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2009 at 10:04pm
I'm doing wave-particle duality at the moment, i understand the concept it's just trying to visualise it is mind boggerling!Confused
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2009 at 9:26pm
Which makes sense, as anything in freefall will have a downward acceleration of 9.81ms^-2 (which is the gravitational force on Earth).  As long as it's within an acceptable margin of this value it's fine, because in experimental conditions it's not going to be a perfectly 'fair test'.

No it's not, 9.81...ms^-2 is the acceleration of free fall at surface level.

The strength of a gravitational force of attraction is dependent on the masses of the two particles and the distance between them. In addition, the unit of force is the Newton. ms^-2 is one of the units of acceleration, not force.  

Quote I'm doing wave-particle duality at the moment, i understand the concept it's just trying to visualise it is mind boggerling!Confused

Then don't try. Wink

If you become a physicist, alot of the rubbish you learn at A-level goes out the window anyway, and you do it properly from scratch with maths. You can't visualise what's going on, unless you're mutant. The way we've evolved means we can deal with what happens in out everyday normal lives, not what happens at the small end of the scale.

So just try to appreciate the implications of what it all means.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic