This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBoeing or Airbus?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2008 at 8:39am

'Bet he used not only expensive fuel, more expensive than a SUV in a week. '

Indeed, but you can afford it the super cheap price of fuel in the US. Wink

md11nlm View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2008 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

'Bet he used not only expensive fuel, more expensive than a SUV in a week. '

Indeed, but you can afford it the super cheap price of fuel in the US. Wink

The wealthy can, but not the average middle class, and the poor stopped driving long ago.
The general population in the USA are spoiled to the core, with their cars, SUV's, gas guzzling over powered Cadillacs and other non-practical vehicles. Yes we have further to go on a daily basis, but that has never been to our advantage.

I recall your country driver's are paying USD$9.62+ a  US gallon, here about $4.00 plus, our taxes added at the pump are significantly lower than the UK, however your country (along with your neighbors) are benefited with the finest mass transit system and train service second to none, plus your highway and street infrastructure are excellent.

Our taxes (some of it) is suppose to go into the Hghway Trust Fund, but our Congress got lost putting it into the General Fund, we have highways and bridges falling apart everywhere, thirteen died in Minneapolis-St. Paul, scores injured.

Their are times we wished we had your Monday morning Parlimentary meetings, Bush would have never made it past 2004......in fact some believe he would not have made past 2001!Cool

Your system keeps the idiots out.

All the best,
Peter,
American Airlines, the businessmen Airline circa 1980
KPIE & Tampa,FL RR station.
Favorites: St. Kitts, W.I. and Union Station Chicago, IL
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2008 at 10:49pm

however your country (along with your neighbors) are benefited with the finest mass transit system and train service second to none, plus your highway and street infrastructure are excellent.

Peter, trust me, many of us would disagree with that. On top of, anything from £200 to literally thousands of pounds for car insurance we pay £100 per year in road tax, which is supposed to be a contribution for road maintenance. Unfortunately our roads are in a terrible state, my own town council is so strapped for cash due to a minimal council tax grant from the government that we have pot holes and deteriorating patches on our roads. The new roads are often poorly designed and inadequate for the traffic volume.

As for a railways and busses, they are shocking.

md11nlm View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 1:22am

however your country (along with your neighbors) are benefited with the finest mass transit system and train service second to none, plus your highway and street infrastructure are excellent.

Peter, trust me, many of us would disagree with that. On top of, anything from £200 to literally thousands of pounds for car insurance we pay £100 per year in road tax, which is supposed to be a contribution for road maintenance. Unfortunately our roads are in a terrible state, my own town council is so strapped for cash due to a minimal council tax grant from the government that we have pot holes and deteriorating patches on our roads. The new roads are often poorly designed and inadequate for the traffic volume.

As for a railways and busses, they are shocking.

Lawd sakes alive mi mon, has Bush been over advising your leaders? 

I believe I know the Brits enough that dry-hard-to-discern wit would be ablaze upon him, and Bush would still leave believing he left a great impression.

I was in country early '85 and at that time everything looked remarkable, our Northern states always resembled the decay you cite, harsh seasons always do.  Apparently like it is now, infrastructure is not keeping pace with the population?

In Houston, TX as of this writing, they will have a 20 lane major highway into the city, imagine that, 10 lanes each direction, only Bush, Jr. could have come up with that dandy.

What about the intercity train service?  Germany and France have always been ahead in service along with Japan, no? And I think about your Chunnel, yea gads, tell me it is not truly buggering.

And your Airlines between each country, still dropping?

Favor looking at the glass half full, you emptying mine!

All the best,

Peter,
dodgy-alan View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 6:59am
Originally posted by md11nlm md11nlm wrote:

[QUOTE=MartinW]2001!Cool

Your system keeps the idiots out.

All the best,

I wouldnt say that, look at the present incumbant in number 10, he seems to be lurching from crisis to crisis, the same as the grinning fool before him, bring back Maggie Thatcher, she had more balls than all the male PMs, still at least you guys across the pond get to lose the idiot in the white house soon, wonder what you'll all do if you get a black president !! I gusee the guys in the deep south will be none to happy, still it could be worse, we could have that maniac Muggabe !Wink
The light at the end of the tunnel is a freight train coming the other way !
roachy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 4:30pm
Alan, it's spelled Mugabe. He's bad, but what on EARTH are you saying to get Thatcher back in power. What did she do? I mean worsened the education system, decimated both steel and coal industries and went "overkill" on the Falklands.
As for Americans having a black president, there's nothing wrong with that whatsoever. And as for Mugabe being a maniac, surely there is worse out there - namely the leaders of North Korea and Somalia.
Luke Roach
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 10:05pm
There are probably even more despots than that, there have been many worse, Idi Amin, Polpot for instance, yes Maggie did cause a few problems, poll tax etc, BUT she did have the balls to retake the Falklands and had one of the longest terms of any prime minister. I guess i,m biast as Ive always been a true blue tory ! sorry !Wink
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 10:07pm
have to say this thread has gone completely off topic !!.
roachy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 10:10pm
Completely off topic yes. As to your political background I care not a bit.
But what about your views on Boeing vs. Airbus??
Luke Roach
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 10:11pm
Quote we pay £100 per year in road tax

And the rest! I just paid out £210 for a years tax! 
roachy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 10:29pm

That's why you should fly instead of Drive.

On a more serious note, I have a vague plan for what I'm going to do once I leave university (if I get there). Pilot training in the UK is around £66,000 for CPL and everything associated. However, Cathay Pacific have a no-cost training scheme in Australia (there are employment issues related) and the only conditions are five GCSE's and two A-levels.
I already have 3A*s and an A plus 7 more results to come through exams so they aren't a considerable problem. The only real hurdle would be that you must live in Hong-Kong, so I'm going to have to move or something.
Luke Roach
md11nlm View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 10:58pm
[/QUOTE]
I wouldnt say that, look at the present incumbant in number 10, he seems to be lurching from crisis to crisis, the same as the grinning fool before him, bring back Maggie Thatcher, she had more balls than all the male PMs, still at least you guys across the pond get to lose the idiot in the white house soon, wonder what you'll all do if you get a black president !! I gusee the guys in the deep south will be none to happy, still it could be worse, we could have that maniac Muggabe !Wink
[/QUOTE]

Could it be their are actually crises over there? Former PM Thatcher was regarded well in America.  Are their limits to be a PM again? For two reasons I can think of why it would not be feasible.  Taking an old job, the horrors come back.  Same to its citizens.

A Racist too eh?

Should be careful, fine to be critical of a man or woman, race should never be brought up. 

Barak Obama, is the least black man we ever met.  Myself, learned early racism is a perception, fueled by anger, arrogance, hate and ignorance. 

We are all human, the majority see opportunities and accepted it graciously, helps to be more educated, articulate, to our delight, Obama, he inspires more people better than we have seen in years, like Regan and Kennedy, some contend better.

The "Southerners" accepted Barak almost from the beginning.  Not only the African American voters, but many of the rest of the voters are clamoring for him.

Don't mistake me for a Democrat or Republican, I'm an Independent....keeps the yelling down.

Peter,
md11nlm View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by dodgy-alan dodgy-alan wrote:

have to say this thread has gone completely off topic !!.

It has, but think of it as a post (or a forum within a forum) on varying subject, some unrelated to Aviation, but I would think MarytnW is eventually going to shut it down, 8 or 9 pages, I wouldn't blame him, despite his admitting "he's gone soft."  That could change in a New York Minute.
Peter,
md11nlm View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by roachy roachy wrote:

That's why you should fly instead of Drive.

On a more serious note, I have a vague plan for what I'm going to do once I leave university (if I get there). Pilot training in the UK is around £66,000 for CPL and everything associated. However, Cathay Pacific have a no-cost training scheme in Australia (there are employment issues related) and the only conditions are five GCSE's and two A-levels.
I already have 3A*s and an A plus 7 more results to come through exams so they aren't a considerable problem. The only real hurdle would be that you must live in Hong-Kong, so I'm going to have to move or something.

What do you mean by "if you get there?" It's not of question of can,  rather the word: may.
I.e., I can open the door, implies some question if you are able, where may I open the door, incites you are able with a twist of class and politeness.

Like the statement, To be honest, implies otherwise you might lie?  To be candid or frank, everybody watch out, here it comes....the truth, the whole truth and nothing but...

Hong Kong, would be fascinating.  Thanks for the "progress" update.
Peter,
md11nlm View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by RAS RAS wrote:

If your vehicle was a new  Bently,  Porsche  914 Turbo Targa  or the latest Ferrai,  what would the road tax then be  on any of these?

What is a Poll Tax? The word poll here relates to retrieve voters opinions or choice of a candidate.
Peter,
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2008 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by RAS RAS wrote:

Oh yes, sorry Richard, that was for 6 months, I paid £99 for 6 months.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2008 at 12:23pm

Poll tax refers to the system introduced under Margaret Thatcher’s government. To replace the old rates system.

These days it's referred to as Council Tax. We have to pay a tax to our local councils, based on the houses we live in. It varies from area to area, depending on the efficiency of local government, the facilities they provide and whether the government has been kind enough to allocate a decent grant to that borough. In my borough, the grant we get is minimal, one of the smallest in the country; consequently I have to pay a phenomenal council tax. The government seems to think that because it's a well to do borough, that we are all millionaires. We are not! 

This is my annual council tax based on the banding for my property. £2064.84

Although I do get a reduction due to my financial position.

Don't know if you have something similar in the US?

md11nlm View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2008 at 5:12pm

Poll tax refers to the system introduced under Margaret Thatcher’s government. To replace the old rates system.

These days it's referred to as Council Tax. We have to pay a tax to our local councils, based on the houses we live in. It varies from area to area, depending on the efficiency of local government, the facilities they provide and whether the government has been kind enough to allocate a decent grant to that borough. In my borough, the grant we get is minimal, one of the smallest in the country; consequently I have to pay a phenomenal council tax. The government seems to think that because it's a well to do borough, that we are all millionaires. We are not! 

This is my annual council tax based on the banding for my property. £2064.84

Although I do get a reduction due to my financial position.

Don't know if you have something similar in the US?

Over USD$4,000 here, but on your own calculate the value of your home for comparsions

Appearance can be deceptive, but here we call it property taxes, home value (based on the assessor's "prediction" what our home is worth), but about 3 years ago, assessor's got cute, and based it on the price selling or buying the home for. This raised property taxes way beyond what our county/Cities needed, hence they upgraded government buildings, added new fleets of cars, well, you get the picture. Property taxes are supposedly for schools only, right!  Lottery Tickets, half its earnings go to schools too, the poor is the least likely group that can afford it. Also businesses are assessed, equipment and inventory, course on the building too, whether the owner pays, is passed on to the renters.

Our State legislature has passed new laws, but the taxes are still way too high. 300,000 couldn't afford, so they moved out of state. Another reason, couldn't get homeowners insurance due to hurricanes (2005 was a record breaker), banks insist on it.

Course we have a 7% (minimum) State Sales Tax, but Food, Drugs (odd, both legal and illegal) and certain medical services are not, while cars (new or used) one has to pay up to at least the first $7,000.  In most states, the full value.

Course the state of Florida has no income tax on wages, many states do, but sales tax might be a little less, but not much. Federal Income Taxes, the poor pretty much pays nothing except into the Medicare and Social Security scheme, middle class pays the most, and the wealthy, who are now claiming they wouldn't mind paying more, is the least, factoring in huge deductions as your reference to reductions.

And a plentiful number of other taxes we hardly notice, myriad of both state, local and federal taxes on cable, satellite TV, Cell and home phones.

Inheritance taxes (often referred to death tax) the Feds are trying to get rid of it, problem is, many states will increase such accordingly.

Businesses, I am no longer authoritative on,  but they are not too bad, but again, depends on which state one resides.

We have always heard that taxes in western Europe are higher than the combined taxes we as individuals pay, mainly due to Socialized Health Care, and transit services.  Our governments has severe fraud, waste, mismanagement, overcharges, the bigger our government gets, the harder to control, we have deficits in the trillions now, all in all, terribly un-encouraging.

Roachy mentioned EU taxes, what is that assessed for?

Peter,
roachy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2008 at 5:34pm
Erm, did I....
The EU takes money from part of the VAT (sort of equivalent to sales tax) to keep running and spends it on farmers - each cow in the EU gets a grant of £1.50/$2.90 per DAY!
Luke Roach
md11nlm View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2008 at 5:46pm
Our Federal government gives farm aid to individual farms, and massively to corporate farms to NOT grow anything. Now that is lobbying power.

What I find amazing, your country has so few deaths by gun, in our country the numbers are staggering, probably highest of any industrialized nation compared to the population size.

While I am not against gun control, but I do believe buyers should take a series of tests, instruction on handling under duress, mental health tests, background (criminal) and gun range test by the local police. And send our street gangs to wonderful places like North Korea.
Peter,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic